AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Over 500 people have died and 800 wounded in the fighting in Juba
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation is relatively calm in Juba, there was no shooting during the night, although out of town sporadic fighting was reported. The circulation of traffic is slowly recovering", say to Fides Agency sources of the Catholic Radio Network from Juba, capital of South Sudan, shocked by the fighting between military groups, which exploded in the night between 15 and 16 December (see Fides 16/12/2013).
President Salva Kiir accused a faction of the army of attempting a military coup, accusing former Vice President Riek Machar of being involved. The latter denied that it was an attempted coup, saying that the riots were caused by "misunderstanding among presidential guards".
Meanwhile, the UN issued a provisional toll of the clashes according to which the victims are over 500 and more than 800 wounded. In addition, between 15 thousand and 20 thousand people have sought refuge at the two United Nations headquarters in Juba. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/12/2013)
- 2015-06-25 - Cholera and rains aggravate the humanitarian situation, thousands of refugees fleeing the war: the testimony of a missionary
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal from Torit: the few NGOs that have remained in South Sudan must not leave over 4 million displaced alone
- 2015-06-10 - New appeal of Christian leaders to stop the "senseless war"
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders
- 2015-04-22 - Malakal: heavy fighting between soldiers from three different ethnic groups
- 2015-04-21 - Peripheral areas left to themselves due to national conflict: tribal clashes reawaken
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau