AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Over 500 people have died and 800 wounded in the fighting in Juba
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation is relatively calm in Juba, there was no shooting during the night, although out of town sporadic fighting was reported. The circulation of traffic is slowly recovering", say to Fides Agency sources of the Catholic Radio Network from Juba, capital of South Sudan, shocked by the fighting between military groups, which exploded in the night between 15 and 16 December (see Fides 16/12/2013).
President Salva Kiir accused a faction of the army of attempting a military coup, accusing former Vice President Riek Machar of being involved. The latter denied that it was an attempted coup, saying that the riots were caused by "misunderstanding among presidential guards".
Meanwhile, the UN issued a provisional toll of the clashes according to which the victims are over 500 and more than 800 wounded. In addition, between 15 thousand and 20 thousand people have sought refuge at the two United Nations headquarters in Juba. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/12/2013)
- 2014-03-11 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Inauguration of the pediatric wing of the hospital in Yirol
- 2014-03-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - New round of peace talks in South Sudan
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Despite the truce, clashes continue: aid, medicines and therapeutic food are needed