AMERICA/MEXICO - Living the "Posadas" according to tradition, an opportunity for evangelization and cohabitation
Puebla (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops' Conference of Mexico (CEM) has invited to fully live the time of the "posadas" in order for it to be a time of fraternity and encounter with God.
According to some historians, in 1587 Pope Sixtus V authorized the celebration of Masses in the "New Spain" in preparation for Christmas, to be celebrated from 16 to 24 December in front of churches (or in the church yard). At the end of the Mass songs and stage performances on Christmas were prepared. The goal was to evangelize the natives. Over time three distinct moments were established: prayer (sometimes the Rosary); a small procession in which people (especially children) ask for "posada", they search for a place to stay just like Mary and Joseph, knocking on the houses they encounter along the way, while people sing hymns or Christmas carols; and finally the third moment is the arrival of the procession to the place where a party is held, where you can eat and play to break the "piñata".
The seven points of the piñata represent the seven deadly sins (pride, avarice, lust, anger, gluttony, envy and sloth). Their vibrant colors indicate that sin may seem attractive. The fact that one covers the eyes to break the piñata shows that one can be guided by faith and therefore be blind to sin. The stick represents the Gospel, with which one destroys sin. The participants, who have to guide those who have to hit the piñata, represent the Church. Breaking the piñata symbolizes the grace of God poured out to destroy sin.
The note sent to Fides reports that "Posadas 2014", according to Mexican tradition is celebrated from December 16 to 24. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/12/2013)
- 2014-07-28 - Over five thousand people march for peace and for life
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration
- 2014-07-11 - The Central American Church's commitment to eradicate the causes of child emigration
- 2014-07-07 - More than 8 million indigenous women suffer physical and moral violence
- 2014-07-04 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Inauguration of a reception center, but the issue on migrants should be resolved at the root
- 2014-07-03 - Formation and spirituality for a missionary Church, engaged in society
- 2014-07-02 - Immigrant children: now even more controls on the southern border of Mexico
- 2014-07-01 - Despite the distrust of the population, the police fight against crime