AMERICA/MEXICO - Living the "Posadas" according to tradition, an opportunity for evangelization and cohabitation
Puebla (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops' Conference of Mexico (CEM) has invited to fully live the time of the "posadas" in order for it to be a time of fraternity and encounter with God.
According to some historians, in 1587 Pope Sixtus V authorized the celebration of Masses in the "New Spain" in preparation for Christmas, to be celebrated from 16 to 24 December in front of churches (or in the church yard). At the end of the Mass songs and stage performances on Christmas were prepared. The goal was to evangelize the natives. Over time three distinct moments were established: prayer (sometimes the Rosary); a small procession in which people (especially children) ask for "posada", they search for a place to stay just like Mary and Joseph, knocking on the houses they encounter along the way, while people sing hymns or Christmas carols; and finally the third moment is the arrival of the procession to the place where a party is held, where you can eat and play to break the "piñata".
The seven points of the piñata represent the seven deadly sins (pride, avarice, lust, anger, gluttony, envy and sloth). Their vibrant colors indicate that sin may seem attractive. The fact that one covers the eyes to break the piñata shows that one can be guided by faith and therefore be blind to sin. The stick represents the Gospel, with which one destroys sin. The participants, who have to guide those who have to hit the piñata, represent the Church. Breaking the piñata symbolizes the grace of God poured out to destroy sin.
The note sent to Fides reports that "Posadas 2014", according to Mexican tradition is celebrated from December 16 to 24. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/12/2013)
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop