AMERICA/MEXICO - Living the "Posadas" according to tradition, an opportunity for evangelization and cohabitation
Puebla (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops' Conference of Mexico (CEM) has invited to fully live the time of the "posadas" in order for it to be a time of fraternity and encounter with God.
According to some historians, in 1587 Pope Sixtus V authorized the celebration of Masses in the "New Spain" in preparation for Christmas, to be celebrated from 16 to 24 December in front of churches (or in the church yard). At the end of the Mass songs and stage performances on Christmas were prepared. The goal was to evangelize the natives. Over time three distinct moments were established: prayer (sometimes the Rosary); a small procession in which people (especially children) ask for "posada", they search for a place to stay just like Mary and Joseph, knocking on the houses they encounter along the way, while people sing hymns or Christmas carols; and finally the third moment is the arrival of the procession to the place where a party is held, where you can eat and play to break the "piñata".
The seven points of the piñata represent the seven deadly sins (pride, avarice, lust, anger, gluttony, envy and sloth). Their vibrant colors indicate that sin may seem attractive. The fact that one covers the eyes to break the piñata shows that one can be guided by faith and therefore be blind to sin. The stick represents the Gospel, with which one destroys sin. The participants, who have to guide those who have to hit the piñata, represent the Church. Breaking the piñata symbolizes the grace of God poured out to destroy sin.
The note sent to Fides reports that "Posadas 2014", according to Mexican tradition is celebrated from December 16 to 24. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/12/2013)
- 2015-10-08 - Bible in Tzotzil language, completed the work desired by more than 350,000 faithful
- 2015-09-30 - Parish canteen transformed into a hall to exhibit the photographs of missing persons
- 2015-09-28 - Mgr. Arizmendi on the events in Chiapas: "Yes to protest, but never with violence"
- 2015-09-26 - "No one can remain indifferent". A year ago, the massacre of 43 students in Iguala
- 2015-09-25 - Proposal for reform to combat the poverty of 20 million children
- 2015-09-21 - Free surgeries for children and adults with cleft lip and palate
- 2015-09-15 - "In Mexico there is no real administration of justice" says the Archdiocese of Mexico
- 2015-09-08 - Meeting of the Bishops of Mexico and the United States on the expulsion of immigrants
- 2015-09-04 - May our nation be an open space for respectable migration, in justice and peace
- 2015-08-03 - Solidarity Prize: Spanish Bishops in favour of Las Patronas candidature