AMERICA/MEXICO - Living the "Posadas" according to tradition, an opportunity for evangelization and cohabitation
Puebla (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops' Conference of Mexico (CEM) has invited to fully live the time of the "posadas" in order for it to be a time of fraternity and encounter with God.
According to some historians, in 1587 Pope Sixtus V authorized the celebration of Masses in the "New Spain" in preparation for Christmas, to be celebrated from 16 to 24 December in front of churches (or in the church yard). At the end of the Mass songs and stage performances on Christmas were prepared. The goal was to evangelize the natives. Over time three distinct moments were established: prayer (sometimes the Rosary); a small procession in which people (especially children) ask for "posada", they search for a place to stay just like Mary and Joseph, knocking on the houses they encounter along the way, while people sing hymns or Christmas carols; and finally the third moment is the arrival of the procession to the place where a party is held, where you can eat and play to break the "piñata".
The seven points of the piñata represent the seven deadly sins (pride, avarice, lust, anger, gluttony, envy and sloth). Their vibrant colors indicate that sin may seem attractive. The fact that one covers the eyes to break the piñata shows that one can be guided by faith and therefore be blind to sin. The stick represents the Gospel, with which one destroys sin. The participants, who have to guide those who have to hit the piñata, represent the Church. Breaking the piñata symbolizes the grace of God poured out to destroy sin.
The note sent to Fides reports that "Posadas 2014", according to Mexican tradition is celebrated from December 16 to 24. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/12/2013)
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day
- 2014-11-29 - Students missing: "The authorities must clarify the situation", said the Bishop of Tlaxcala
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace