AMERICA/PERU - The social and economic pressure is so strong that it makes us forget the Child Jesus
Puno (Agenzia Fides) - Today we Christians manage to disguise the birth of Jesus, forgetting the reality and the context in which he was born, because we do not want this Jesus to create awkwardness in our lives. This was stated by the Bishop of the Diocese of Puno, His Exc. Mgr. Jorge Pedro Carrión Pavlich, in his message to the local community in view of Christmas.
The note sent to Fides Agency by "Radio Onda Azul" in Puno, reports the Bishop’s words: "We are only interested in the advertisements publicized by the media: panettone, fireworks, chocolates, gifts, alcohol to celebrate Christmas, but the Child Jesus is not mentioned".
Mgr. Jorge Pedro Carrión Pavlich adds: "We are facing such social and economic pressure that we are forgetting to admire the Child Jesus", and stresses that "we have often lost our sense of direction, as a consequence we lose hope, sometimes because of the many social problems". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/12/2013)
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation