AMERICA/PERU - The social and economic pressure is so strong that it makes us forget the Child Jesus
Puno (Agenzia Fides) - Today we Christians manage to disguise the birth of Jesus, forgetting the reality and the context in which he was born, because we do not want this Jesus to create awkwardness in our lives. This was stated by the Bishop of the Diocese of Puno, His Exc. Mgr. Jorge Pedro Carrión Pavlich, in his message to the local community in view of Christmas.
The note sent to Fides Agency by "Radio Onda Azul" in Puno, reports the Bishop’s words: "We are only interested in the advertisements publicized by the media: panettone, fireworks, chocolates, gifts, alcohol to celebrate Christmas, but the Child Jesus is not mentioned".
Mgr. Jorge Pedro Carrión Pavlich adds: "We are facing such social and economic pressure that we are forgetting to admire the Child Jesus", and stresses that "we have often lost our sense of direction, as a consequence we lose hope, sometimes because of the many social problems". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/12/2013)
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation
- 2014-11-15 - "Network for a Culture of meeting", also Cusco present at the XIII Meeting of RIIAL
- 2014-11-05 - The Bishops are always close to the 3 and a half million Peruvians away from home
- 2014-10-31 - Thousands of young people on pilgrimage instead of the "Feast of Hallowen"
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth
- 2014-09-23 - "Gold fever" increases human trafficking and sexual exploitation
- 2014-09-19 - The activist who fought for the Amazonian forest, against the deforestation of his land killed
- 2014-09-10 - “Young people without frontiers”: witnesses and proclaimers of the faith to the world of today