AMERICA/PERU - The social and economic pressure is so strong that it makes us forget the Child Jesus
Puno (Agenzia Fides) - Today we Christians manage to disguise the birth of Jesus, forgetting the reality and the context in which he was born, because we do not want this Jesus to create awkwardness in our lives. This was stated by the Bishop of the Diocese of Puno, His Exc. Mgr. Jorge Pedro Carrión Pavlich, in his message to the local community in view of Christmas.
The note sent to Fides Agency by "Radio Onda Azul" in Puno, reports the Bishop’s words: "We are only interested in the advertisements publicized by the media: panettone, fireworks, chocolates, gifts, alcohol to celebrate Christmas, but the Child Jesus is not mentioned".
Mgr. Jorge Pedro Carrión Pavlich adds: "We are facing such social and economic pressure that we are forgetting to admire the Child Jesus", and stresses that "we have often lost our sense of direction, as a consequence we lose hope, sometimes because of the many social problems". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/12/2013)
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
- 2014-04-02 - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo