AMERICA/MEXICO - The Bishops of Veracruz call for the end of violence and solidarity with Tuxpan
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - The eight dioceses of the Mexican state of Veracruz have issued a joint message calling for an end of violence and insecurity.
In the text, released on the third Sunday of Advent, the eight Bishops deplore the murder of two priests of the Diocese of Tuxpan (see Fides 30/11/2013), as well as acts of violence perpetrated against the communities of Veracruz and against immigrants that pass through this area to reach the United States.
They also point out that, despite the efforts, it is difficult to eradicate organized crime.
"Although the fight against organized crime in Mexico continues - is written in the document sent to Fides Agency - in some areas of the country, levels of violence remain very worrying. Families are threatened by kidnappings, extortion and common criminality".
The document recalls the situation of immigrants and the poor with these words: "Let us turn our attention to another side of our reality: we refer to the pain and anguish experienced by many of our brethren, especially immigrants, farmers, youth, families, religious, nuns and priests who are the most disadvantaged, who have suffered hardships arising from social sin that occurs with many facets, such as violence, injustice, corruption, idolatry of money, contempt for life and the disintegration of the family".
The document concludes by wishing rulers to have the courage to always seek the common good, and with the blessing imparted by the Bishops of the dioceses of Xalapa, Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz, San Andres Tuxtla, Córdoba, Colima, Tuxpan, Papantla. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2015-10-08 - Bible in Tzotzil language, completed the work desired by more than 350,000 faithful
- 2015-09-30 - Parish canteen transformed into a hall to exhibit the photographs of missing persons
- 2015-09-28 - Mgr. Arizmendi on the events in Chiapas: "Yes to protest, but never with violence"
- 2015-09-26 - "No one can remain indifferent". A year ago, the massacre of 43 students in Iguala
- 2015-09-25 - Proposal for reform to combat the poverty of 20 million children
- 2015-09-21 - Free surgeries for children and adults with cleft lip and palate
- 2015-09-15 - "In Mexico there is no real administration of justice" says the Archdiocese of Mexico
- 2015-09-08 - Meeting of the Bishops of Mexico and the United States on the expulsion of immigrants
- 2015-09-04 - May our nation be an open space for respectable migration, in justice and peace
- 2015-08-03 - Solidarity Prize: Spanish Bishops in favour of Las Patronas candidature