AMERICA/MEXICO - The Bishops of Veracruz call for the end of violence and solidarity with Tuxpan
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - The eight dioceses of the Mexican state of Veracruz have issued a joint message calling for an end of violence and insecurity.
In the text, released on the third Sunday of Advent, the eight Bishops deplore the murder of two priests of the Diocese of Tuxpan (see Fides 30/11/2013), as well as acts of violence perpetrated against the communities of Veracruz and against immigrants that pass through this area to reach the United States.
They also point out that, despite the efforts, it is difficult to eradicate organized crime.
"Although the fight against organized crime in Mexico continues - is written in the document sent to Fides Agency - in some areas of the country, levels of violence remain very worrying. Families are threatened by kidnappings, extortion and common criminality".
The document recalls the situation of immigrants and the poor with these words: "Let us turn our attention to another side of our reality: we refer to the pain and anguish experienced by many of our brethren, especially immigrants, farmers, youth, families, religious, nuns and priests who are the most disadvantaged, who have suffered hardships arising from social sin that occurs with many facets, such as violence, injustice, corruption, idolatry of money, contempt for life and the disintegration of the family".
The document concludes by wishing rulers to have the courage to always seek the common good, and with the blessing imparted by the Bishops of the dioceses of Xalapa, Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz, San Andres Tuxtla, Córdoba, Colima, Tuxpan, Papantla. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase