AMERICA/MEXICO - The Bishops of Veracruz call for the end of violence and solidarity with Tuxpan
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - The eight dioceses of the Mexican state of Veracruz have issued a joint message calling for an end of violence and insecurity.
In the text, released on the third Sunday of Advent, the eight Bishops deplore the murder of two priests of the Diocese of Tuxpan (see Fides 30/11/2013), as well as acts of violence perpetrated against the communities of Veracruz and against immigrants that pass through this area to reach the United States.
They also point out that, despite the efforts, it is difficult to eradicate organized crime.
"Although the fight against organized crime in Mexico continues - is written in the document sent to Fides Agency - in some areas of the country, levels of violence remain very worrying. Families are threatened by kidnappings, extortion and common criminality".
The document recalls the situation of immigrants and the poor with these words: "Let us turn our attention to another side of our reality: we refer to the pain and anguish experienced by many of our brethren, especially immigrants, farmers, youth, families, religious, nuns and priests who are the most disadvantaged, who have suffered hardships arising from social sin that occurs with many facets, such as violence, injustice, corruption, idolatry of money, contempt for life and the disintegration of the family".
The document concludes by wishing rulers to have the courage to always seek the common good, and with the blessing imparted by the Bishops of the dioceses of Xalapa, Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz, San Andres Tuxtla, Córdoba, Colima, Tuxpan, Papantla. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day
- 2014-11-29 - Students missing: "The authorities must clarify the situation", said the Bishop of Tlaxcala
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace