AMERICA/MEXICO - The Bishops of Veracruz call for the end of violence and solidarity with Tuxpan
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - The eight dioceses of the Mexican state of Veracruz have issued a joint message calling for an end of violence and insecurity.
In the text, released on the third Sunday of Advent, the eight Bishops deplore the murder of two priests of the Diocese of Tuxpan (see Fides 30/11/2013), as well as acts of violence perpetrated against the communities of Veracruz and against immigrants that pass through this area to reach the United States.
They also point out that, despite the efforts, it is difficult to eradicate organized crime.
"Although the fight against organized crime in Mexico continues - is written in the document sent to Fides Agency - in some areas of the country, levels of violence remain very worrying. Families are threatened by kidnappings, extortion and common criminality".
The document recalls the situation of immigrants and the poor with these words: "Let us turn our attention to another side of our reality: we refer to the pain and anguish experienced by many of our brethren, especially immigrants, farmers, youth, families, religious, nuns and priests who are the most disadvantaged, who have suffered hardships arising from social sin that occurs with many facets, such as violence, injustice, corruption, idolatry of money, contempt for life and the disintegration of the family".
The document concludes by wishing rulers to have the courage to always seek the common good, and with the blessing imparted by the Bishops of the dioceses of Xalapa, Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz, San Andres Tuxtla, Córdoba, Colima, Tuxpan, Papantla. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement
- 2014-03-03 AMERICA/MEXICO - Five thousand people with the Bishop to march for peace and the family
- 2014-02-24 AMERICA/MEXICO - “We must be all involved to stop the violence” says the Bishop of Zacatecas
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/MEXICO - Prevention is not enough: Church, state and society must work together to combat human trafficking
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Society based on the family": opening of the Year of the Family in the Diocese of Orizaba
- 2014-02-12 AMERICA/MEXICO - Authorities have to talk less and be more effective in terms of safety
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Solidarity with the nuns assaulted and request to solve the problem of land
- 2014-02-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church concerned about the influenza that kills
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - "The use of drugs cannot be fought with drugs", the Archdiocese against the bill