AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians should be inhabited by the spirit of God, they must not kill": Bishop Nzapalainga’s appeal
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "Many Christians say they want revenge. Christians must be inhabited by the spirit of God, they must not kill", said His Exc. Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Archbishop of Bangui in front of 1,500 faithful during his homily celebrated on Sunday, December 15th in the Parish of Saint-Charles Lwanga.
Mgr. Nzapalainga urged the faithful to follow the example of Nelson Mandela in order to overcome divisions and find peace.
Following the clashes between anti-Balaka militias and former Seleka rebels, which caused hundreds of deaths in the Central African Republic, there is growing fear that the country will fall into the spiral of confrontation between Christians and Muslims. Mgr. Nzapalainga is striving to avoid it, going from one end of the city to another, often in the company of an Imam, distributing aid to refugees.
One of the places visited by the Archbishop is the convent of Notre Dame du Mont Carmel in Bangui, where more than 2,000 people have found shelter. "For our people it is as if the Pope had arrived in person" said the superior of the convent, Fr. Frederico Trinchero to Fides Agency. "The Bishop, who came with an Imam, visited our camp and then made a brief but powerful speech urging everyone to peace, reconciliation and forgiveness. Even the Imam made a similar speech".
"We want, we can and should live in peace together. Our small Carmelo wants to be nothing more than this: a sparkle of peace in a great fire of violence", concludes Fr. Frederico. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam