AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians should be inhabited by the spirit of God, they must not kill": Bishop Nzapalainga’s appeal
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "Many Christians say they want revenge. Christians must be inhabited by the spirit of God, they must not kill", said His Exc. Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Archbishop of Bangui in front of 1,500 faithful during his homily celebrated on Sunday, December 15th in the Parish of Saint-Charles Lwanga.
Mgr. Nzapalainga urged the faithful to follow the example of Nelson Mandela in order to overcome divisions and find peace.
Following the clashes between anti-Balaka militias and former Seleka rebels, which caused hundreds of deaths in the Central African Republic, there is growing fear that the country will fall into the spiral of confrontation between Christians and Muslims. Mgr. Nzapalainga is striving to avoid it, going from one end of the city to another, often in the company of an Imam, distributing aid to refugees.
One of the places visited by the Archbishop is the convent of Notre Dame du Mont Carmel in Bangui, where more than 2,000 people have found shelter. "For our people it is as if the Pope had arrived in person" said the superior of the convent, Fr. Frederico Trinchero to Fides Agency. "The Bishop, who came with an Imam, visited our camp and then made a brief but powerful speech urging everyone to peace, reconciliation and forgiveness. Even the Imam made a similar speech".
"We want, we can and should live in peace together. Our small Carmelo wants to be nothing more than this: a sparkle of peace in a great fire of violence", concludes Fr. Frederico. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced
- 2014-12-30 - Archbishop of Bangui pays a visit to former Seleka rebels again
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-12-04 - Special Mass for peace at Bangui Carmel hosting 4,000 refugees
- 2014-12-02 - The Bishops denounce: "Banditry threatens peace, it seems that some have fun scattering weapons among the population"
- 2014-11-28 - The head of the group that had seized the Polish priest has been released
- 2014-11-27 - The Vicar General of Bouar: "Fr. Mateusz is fine and was released without the use of force"
- 2014-11-25 - Mgr. Nzapalainga and the Church in aid of former Seleka rebels: a gesture of forgiveness and reconciliation