AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians should be inhabited by the spirit of God, they must not kill": Bishop Nzapalainga’s appeal
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "Many Christians say they want revenge. Christians must be inhabited by the spirit of God, they must not kill", said His Exc. Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Archbishop of Bangui in front of 1,500 faithful during his homily celebrated on Sunday, December 15th in the Parish of Saint-Charles Lwanga.
Mgr. Nzapalainga urged the faithful to follow the example of Nelson Mandela in order to overcome divisions and find peace.
Following the clashes between anti-Balaka militias and former Seleka rebels, which caused hundreds of deaths in the Central African Republic, there is growing fear that the country will fall into the spiral of confrontation between Christians and Muslims. Mgr. Nzapalainga is striving to avoid it, going from one end of the city to another, often in the company of an Imam, distributing aid to refugees.
One of the places visited by the Archbishop is the convent of Notre Dame du Mont Carmel in Bangui, where more than 2,000 people have found shelter. "For our people it is as if the Pope had arrived in person" said the superior of the convent, Fr. Frederico Trinchero to Fides Agency. "The Bishop, who came with an Imam, visited our camp and then made a brief but powerful speech urging everyone to peace, reconciliation and forgiveness. Even the Imam made a similar speech".
"We want, we can and should live in peace together. Our small Carmelo wants to be nothing more than this: a sparkle of peace in a great fire of violence", concludes Fr. Frederico. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed
- 2014-07-08 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – The Cathedral in Bambari besieged by rebels
- 2014-07-01 - Twelve thousand refugees in the Cathedral of Bambari, the Bishop's appeal to Fides
- 2014-06-30 - "Civil society organizes itself, but authorities do not always help", says a missionary
- 2014-06-12 - The Archbishop of Bangui brings aid to 600 Muslims fleeing violence
- 2014-06-04 - New attacks against medical facilities and teams who work in Ndélé
- 2014-05-30 - The attack on Our Lady of Fatima parish in which a priest was killed was carried out by foreigners
- 2014-05-12 - "We are in an open-pit prison held hostage by violent people" denounce the Bishops