AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians should be inhabited by the spirit of God, they must not kill": Bishop Nzapalainga’s appeal
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "Many Christians say they want revenge. Christians must be inhabited by the spirit of God, they must not kill", said His Exc. Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Archbishop of Bangui in front of 1,500 faithful during his homily celebrated on Sunday, December 15th in the Parish of Saint-Charles Lwanga.
Mgr. Nzapalainga urged the faithful to follow the example of Nelson Mandela in order to overcome divisions and find peace.
Following the clashes between anti-Balaka militias and former Seleka rebels, which caused hundreds of deaths in the Central African Republic, there is growing fear that the country will fall into the spiral of confrontation between Christians and Muslims. Mgr. Nzapalainga is striving to avoid it, going from one end of the city to another, often in the company of an Imam, distributing aid to refugees.
One of the places visited by the Archbishop is the convent of Notre Dame du Mont Carmel in Bangui, where more than 2,000 people have found shelter. "For our people it is as if the Pope had arrived in person" said the superior of the convent, Fr. Frederico Trinchero to Fides Agency. "The Bishop, who came with an Imam, visited our camp and then made a brief but powerful speech urging everyone to peace, reconciliation and forgiveness. Even the Imam made a similar speech".
"We want, we can and should live in peace together. Our small Carmelo wants to be nothing more than this: a sparkle of peace in a great fire of violence", concludes Fr. Frederico. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui