AFRICA/CONGO DR - The M23 agree to lay down their arms, and now Ugandan groups sow death in Kivu
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The peace agreement between the government in Kinshasa and the M23, the main rebel group operating in North Kivu, in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has been signed. According to Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni the agreement, which was signed in Nairobi (Kenya) on December 12, states that the M23 lay down their weapons and turn into a political party. A spokesman for the Congolese government, however, has stated that it is not an agreement between the parties, but "a statement signed by the M23 that announces the end of the rebellion and the dissolution of the M23 as armed group".
If the end of the armed rebellion of the M23 seems definite, local sources denounce to Fides Agency that on December 11, at least 200 "heavily armed" military of the Ugandan regular army entered the territory of Beni (part of North Kivu). "The local population is in a panic and ignores the purpose of the raid" state our sources.
The Ugandan rebels ADF- NALU operate in the area. The ADF- NALU have carried out three ambushes. Due to the incursions of the ADF-NALU, over 10,000 people are on the run from several villages in the area. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2013)
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few
- 2015-03-31 - The creation of new provinces is likely to result in a postponement of local elections
- 2015-03-18 - New violence in North Kivu: "there is an attempt to block the operations against the FDLR" denounces civil society
- 2015-03-12 - Alarm for the recruitment of young Muslims in eastern Congo
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years