AFRICA/CONGO DR - The M23 agree to lay down their arms, and now Ugandan groups sow death in Kivu
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The peace agreement between the government in Kinshasa and the M23, the main rebel group operating in North Kivu, in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has been signed. According to Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni the agreement, which was signed in Nairobi (Kenya) on December 12, states that the M23 lay down their weapons and turn into a political party. A spokesman for the Congolese government, however, has stated that it is not an agreement between the parties, but "a statement signed by the M23 that announces the end of the rebellion and the dissolution of the M23 as armed group".
If the end of the armed rebellion of the M23 seems definite, local sources denounce to Fides Agency that on December 11, at least 200 "heavily armed" military of the Ugandan regular army entered the territory of Beni (part of North Kivu). "The local population is in a panic and ignores the purpose of the raid" state our sources.
The Ugandan rebels ADF- NALU operate in the area. The ADF- NALU have carried out three ambushes. Due to the incursions of the ADF-NALU, over 10,000 people are on the run from several villages in the area. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2013)
- 2014-11-26 - The massacres in Beni: carried out by a criminal network made up of guerrillas and corrupt military
- 2014-11-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops: "Violence against women is a crime against humanity"
- 2014-11-24 - Another massacre in North Kivu: 200 people were killed in the area in October
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls
- 2014-11-07 - "We want thorough investigation into the violence against the clergy in Lodja" asks civil society
- 2014-11-05 - New massacres in Beni, the people are exasperated and protest in the streets
- 2014-11-03 - Constitutional Amendment: Kinshasa looks at what is happening in Ouagadougou
- 2014-10-28 - A Congolese priest has disappeared for three weeks in Ituri
- 2014-10-27 - The debate on the constitutional reform creates a power vacuum and emphasizes the political instability