AFRICA/CONGO DR - The M23 agree to lay down their arms, and now Ugandan groups sow death in Kivu
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The peace agreement between the government in Kinshasa and the M23, the main rebel group operating in North Kivu, in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has been signed. According to Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni the agreement, which was signed in Nairobi (Kenya) on December 12, states that the M23 lay down their weapons and turn into a political party. A spokesman for the Congolese government, however, has stated that it is not an agreement between the parties, but "a statement signed by the M23 that announces the end of the rebellion and the dissolution of the M23 as armed group".
If the end of the armed rebellion of the M23 seems definite, local sources denounce to Fides Agency that on December 11, at least 200 "heavily armed" military of the Ugandan regular army entered the territory of Beni (part of North Kivu). "The local population is in a panic and ignores the purpose of the raid" state our sources.
The Ugandan rebels ADF- NALU operate in the area. The ADF- NALU have carried out three ambushes. Due to the incursions of the ADF-NALU, over 10,000 people are on the run from several villages in the area. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2013)
- 2014-04-03 - New incursions of Rwandan rebels denounced by civil society in North Kivu
- 2014-04-02 - Kasenga launches an alarm on the resumption of the violence carried out by the Bakata Katanga
- 2014-03-31 - The creation of an African Criminal Court is urgently needed" said a scholar at the Catholic University of Congo
- 2014-03-24 - More than 250 Congolese refugees drown while trying to return home from Uganda
- 2014-03-11 - To improve road communications in view of the national pilgrimage for the 50th anniversary of the martyrdom of Blessed Anuarite
- 2014-03-04 - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
- 2014-02-28 - “We have yet to verify the presence of the bodies of the three Assumptionist priests in mass graves discovered” says the Bishop Butembo-Beni
- 2014-02-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – United Nations will increase Peacekeeping troops in Katanga, a drama signalled by the country's Catholic Bishops
- 2014-02-21 - "Unspeakable violence in Katanga" denounce the Bishops of the Province
- 2014-02-17 - North Congolese, an explosive mix: ex Central African combatants and gold mines