ASIA/SYRIA - Greek Orthodox Bishop Khoury: I have never urged Christians to take up arms
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The Metropolitan Greek Orthodox Lukas al-Koury, Auxiliary Bishop of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch, categorically denies inciting Syrian Christian youth to take up arms in the conflict that has bloodied the country, and asserts that the declarations attributed to him by the media "are false". In a note sent to Fides, Bishop al-Khoury urges everyone to be wary of those newspapers and network that spread pseudo-statements which are manipulated "in this difficult moment that the region is experiencing".
The bishop denounces the intentional dissemination of false news which are part of the same war strategies of the Syrian conflict .
A few days ago (see Fides 11/12/2013) websites and agencies around the world highlighted the statements attributed to Bishop al- Khoury by the Iraqi newspaper "az Zaman" in which, among other things, young Christians able to take the weapons were invited to "come forward". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2013)
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"
- 2014-11-14 - Archbishop Hindo: if the US attack the Syrian army, we will have a second Libya
- 2014-11-12 - Negotiations for a truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: it is only useful if it brings us closer to true peace
- 2014-10-30 - The Catholic Syrian Bishops: if the world wants to help us, stop sending us weapons!
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers
- 2014-10-08 - The Franciscan priest kidnapped after he had appealed to the Islamic Court
- 2014-10-07 - Custody of the Holy Land: Fr. Jallouf and other Christians kidnapped by the jihadists linked to al-Nusra