ASIA/SYRIA - Greek Orthodox Bishop Khoury: I have never urged Christians to take up arms
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The Metropolitan Greek Orthodox Lukas al-Koury, Auxiliary Bishop of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch, categorically denies inciting Syrian Christian youth to take up arms in the conflict that has bloodied the country, and asserts that the declarations attributed to him by the media "are false". In a note sent to Fides, Bishop al-Khoury urges everyone to be wary of those newspapers and network that spread pseudo-statements which are manipulated "in this difficult moment that the region is experiencing".
The bishop denounces the intentional dissemination of false news which are part of the same war strategies of the Syrian conflict .
A few days ago (see Fides 11/12/2013) websites and agencies around the world highlighted the statements attributed to Bishop al- Khoury by the Iraqi newspaper "az Zaman" in which, among other things, young Christians able to take the weapons were invited to "come forward". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2013)
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus