ASIA/SYRIA - Greek Orthodox Bishop Khoury: I have never urged Christians to take up arms
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The Metropolitan Greek Orthodox Lukas al-Koury, Auxiliary Bishop of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch, categorically denies inciting Syrian Christian youth to take up arms in the conflict that has bloodied the country, and asserts that the declarations attributed to him by the media "are false". In a note sent to Fides, Bishop al-Khoury urges everyone to be wary of those newspapers and network that spread pseudo-statements which are manipulated "in this difficult moment that the region is experiencing".
The bishop denounces the intentional dissemination of false news which are part of the same war strategies of the Syrian conflict .
A few days ago (see Fides 11/12/2013) websites and agencies around the world highlighted the statements attributed to Bishop al- Khoury by the Iraqi newspaper "az Zaman" in which, among other things, young Christians able to take the weapons were invited to "come forward". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2013)
- 2014-03-06 ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Hindo: Christians do not support the Kurdish autonomous entity
- 2014-03-04 ASIA/SYRIA - The Armenian Catholic Archbishop of Aleppo: During Lent prayers and fasting to ask for the gift of peace
- 2014-02-28 ASIA/SYRIA – Where to be a child is impossible
- 2014-02-28 ASIA/SYRIA - Attack on Assyrian Democratic Organization head offices
- 2014-02-18 ASIA/SYRIA - Muslim leader of the opposition: immediately release all the Christians kidnapped
- 2014-02-13 ASIA/SYRIA - Masses for the release of all the hostages
- 2014-01-28 ASIA/SYRIA - Masses and vigils for father Dall'Oglio six months after his abduction
- 2014-01-27 ASIA/SYRIA - Patriarchs Kirill and Yohanna X’s appeal at Geneva 2: only dialogue among Syrians can open glimmers of peace
- 2014-01-22 ASIA/SYRIA - The Kurds claim an autonomous government in north-east Syria. Three Christians among the 20 ministers
- 2014-01-22 ASIA/SYRIA - Geneva 2: The Jesuit Refugee Service calls for a negotiated settlement and more support to refugees