ASIA/SYRIA - Greek Orthodox Bishop Khoury: I have never urged Christians to take up arms
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The Metropolitan Greek Orthodox Lukas al-Koury, Auxiliary Bishop of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch, categorically denies inciting Syrian Christian youth to take up arms in the conflict that has bloodied the country, and asserts that the declarations attributed to him by the media "are false". In a note sent to Fides, Bishop al-Khoury urges everyone to be wary of those newspapers and network that spread pseudo-statements which are manipulated "in this difficult moment that the region is experiencing".
The bishop denounces the intentional dissemination of false news which are part of the same war strategies of the Syrian conflict .
A few days ago (see Fides 11/12/2013) websites and agencies around the world highlighted the statements attributed to Bishop al- Khoury by the Iraqi newspaper "az Zaman" in which, among other things, young Christians able to take the weapons were invited to "come forward". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - A missile on an Armenian Catholic school: a child killed, 61 injured
- 2014-04-15 - Churches devastated and icons desecrated in Maalula
- 2014-04-14 - The government army regains control of the city of Maalula
- 2014-04-08 - "Difficult times will come". After the assassination of Father Van der Lugt, Christians continue to pray and reflect on martyrdom
- 2014-04-07 - A Jesuit Killed in Homs
- 2014-03-28 - Missile on an Armenian church in Aleppo during Mass
- 2014-03-25 - The Armenian Catholic Patriarch: the Christians who fled from Kessab have to deal with the emergency with a spirit of communion
- 2014-03-17 - Bishop Audo: war devastates the hearts; and the work of Caritas opens new fronts
- 2014-03-14 - Archbishop Nassar: signs of hope in our Lent spent in war
- 2014-03-12 - ASIA/SYRIA – In Aleppo, the Order of Malta inaugurates three new mobile clinics for refugees