ASIA/SYRIA - Greek Orthodox Bishop Khoury: I have never urged Christians to take up arms
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The Metropolitan Greek Orthodox Lukas al-Koury, Auxiliary Bishop of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch, categorically denies inciting Syrian Christian youth to take up arms in the conflict that has bloodied the country, and asserts that the declarations attributed to him by the media "are false". In a note sent to Fides, Bishop al-Khoury urges everyone to be wary of those newspapers and network that spread pseudo-statements which are manipulated "in this difficult moment that the region is experiencing".
The bishop denounces the intentional dissemination of false news which are part of the same war strategies of the Syrian conflict .
A few days ago (see Fides 11/12/2013) websites and agencies around the world highlighted the statements attributed to Bishop al- Khoury by the Iraqi newspaper "az Zaman" in which, among other things, young Christians able to take the weapons were invited to "come forward". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2013)
- 2015-10-02 - Archbishop Hindo " McCain’s disturbing words on anti-Assad rebels armed by the CIA"
- 2015-09-29 - Bishop Abou Khazen: the choices of the West on the Syrian conflict continue to be inconsiderate
- 2015-09-25 - The self-defense "Sotoro" militias shoot each other
- 2015-09-18 - The Marists in Aleppo: there is a risk of getting used to horror
- 2015-09-15 - Four Christians among the victims of the jihadist attack in Hassaké
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop Hindo: the demands of the jihadists for the release of the Assyrian hostages are more accessible
- 2015-09-04 - Negotiations on the release of father Murad and 270 hostages, Christians and Muslims
- 2015-09-03 - A video and a letter from Father Jacques Murad, the prior of St. Elian kidnapped last May, has been released
- 2015-08-27 - A Syrian television documentary on the Assyrian Genocide projected in the presence of the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch
- 2015-08-26 - Mortar attacks on two churches in Damascus. The Maronite Archbishop: our life is like a game of Russian roulette