AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Cardinal Terrazas urges to "combat violence, not with words, but with actions"
Santa Cruz (Agenzia Fides) - On his return to Bolivia from the Vatican, where he was received by Pope Francis, Cardinal Julio Terrazas Sandoval, Archbishop of Santa Cruz de la Sierra, held a press conference where he talked about several issues, including the 2014 presidential election. According to the note sent to Fides Agency from a local source, the Cardinal, jokingly, rejected the idea of his candidacy for next year’s elections. In this context, he urged politicians not to engage in electoral campaigns a year in advance and asked to fight violence not with words, but with actions.
"I am not one of the candidates, but I think we need to have names and clear programs " - the Cardinal said.
Cardinal Terrazas Sandoval said he was concerned about the lack of respect for life, referring to the recent incidents of violence in the eastern part of the country (see Fides 03/12/2013). In this regard, he asked the media to convey a message of life, peace, justice and solidarity: "There is little respect for life, we cannot allow this; so we always want to talk and point out values, rather than advertise crime and violence, we must offer values to our youth".
At the conclusion of the press conference, the Cardinal expressed his congratulations to Pope Francis for being chosen by Time magazine as "Man of the Year", with these words: "the recognition is deserved thanks to the works of kindness, humility and simplicity that reflect the Holy Father". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2013)
- 2014-02-28 AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Flood stricken native peoples in Beni destitute and starving
- 2014-02-25 AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Classrooms under water, 10 toilets and no water for more than 1000 pupils
- 2014-01-28 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - National Emergency: 6000 homeless families due to rains and floods
- 2014-01-22 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - The Andean Countries together for the XIII Regional Meeting of the Youth Ministry
- 2013-12-12 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Cardinal Terrazas urges to "combat violence, not with words, but with actions"
- 2013-12-03 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - "We cannot live in fear, we must take the path of peace", says the Archbishop of Santa Cruz
- 2013-11-11 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Bishops' message at the end of the Year of Faith: "Faith is a treasure to live as children of God"
- 2013-11-06 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - During their 96th meeting, the Bolivian Bishops will close the Year of Faith
- 2013-10-24 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Two thousand children sentenced to life behind bars along with their imprisoned mothers
- 2013-10-24 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - "It is time for human integration": conclusions of the meeting between Peru, Bolivia and Chile