AFRICA/EGYPT - The Egyptians in Austria candidate Pope Tawadros for the Nobel Prize
Vienna (Agenzia Fides) - Austria launches the campaign to candidate Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II for the Nobel Prize for Peace. This was announced by the head of the Egyptian community in Austria Mufid Ekladios. According to the supporters of the initiative, Pope Tawadros deserves the prestigious award as recognition of the efforts made by him to prevent sectarian conflicts and preserve social peace and unity in Egypt.
Tawadros is currently on a pastoral visit in some European Countries. From Austria, the members of the local Egyptian community have invited all of their compatriots around the world to join in supporting the candidacy proposal with a "vigorous" campaign of support.
During the summer, the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch had avoided to appear in public for security reasons, in order not to put the lives of many Copts at risk, who every Wednesday attended his catechesis in the cathedral in Cairo. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2013)
- 2014-07-24 - AFRICA/EGYPT – There is no Christian in St. Anthony Abate’s hometown
- 2014-07-17 - A bill to ensure and regulate the construction of churches is being studied
- 2014-07-16 - Patriarch Tawadros II: the Bishops do not express support for candidates or political parties in elections
- 2014-07-08 - Sisi
- 2014-06-20 - Activist for Human Rights calls for the dissolution of the Salafist Party
- 2014-06-09 - New President al-Sisi enhances the role of the Coptic Church in the past and present of the nation
- 2014-05-30 - Sisi triumphs in presidential elections; Copt Catholic Bishop of Guizeh contests voices on low turnout
- 2014-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros : let us all go and vote to elect the new President
- 2014-05-16 - Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate: priests must not make electoral propaganda
- 2014-05-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II writes to Pope Francis: let us unify the dates for the Easter celebration