AFRICA/EGYPT - The Egyptians in Austria candidate Pope Tawadros for the Nobel Prize
Vienna (Agenzia Fides) - Austria launches the campaign to candidate Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II for the Nobel Prize for Peace. This was announced by the head of the Egyptian community in Austria Mufid Ekladios. According to the supporters of the initiative, Pope Tawadros deserves the prestigious award as recognition of the efforts made by him to prevent sectarian conflicts and preserve social peace and unity in Egypt.
Tawadros is currently on a pastoral visit in some European Countries. From Austria, the members of the local Egyptian community have invited all of their compatriots around the world to join in supporting the candidacy proposal with a "vigorous" campaign of support.
During the summer, the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch had avoided to appear in public for security reasons, in order not to put the lives of many Copts at risk, who every Wednesday attended his catechesis in the cathedral in Cairo. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2013)
- 2015-10-09 - Coptic Organizations call on President al-Sisi to reopen the investigation into the massacre of Maspero
- 2015-10-06 - Sectarian clashes in Samalut, the "city of martyrs": ten Copts wounded
- 2015-10-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: Christians who present themselves as candidates in the Salafist lists are not credible
- 2015-09-30 - The Coptic Church will support the initiatives of President al-Sisi in favor of youth employment
- 2015-09-26 - Patriarch Tawadros visits the Ethiopian "sister Church"
- 2015-09-22 - A Fatwa to allow the Copts on the electoral Salafist lists
- 2015-09-11 - 24 Copts appointed in the electoral lists of the Salafi party
- 2015-09-09 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the Church has a spiritual and not a political mission
- 2015-09-08 - A demonstration protest in front of the Coptic Cathedral has been prohibited
- 2015-09-03 - Egyptian Coptic Patriarch: let us rationalize the use of the Nile waters