AFRICA/EGYPT - The Egyptians in Austria candidate Pope Tawadros for the Nobel Prize
Vienna (Agenzia Fides) - Austria launches the campaign to candidate Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II for the Nobel Prize for Peace. This was announced by the head of the Egyptian community in Austria Mufid Ekladios. According to the supporters of the initiative, Pope Tawadros deserves the prestigious award as recognition of the efforts made by him to prevent sectarian conflicts and preserve social peace and unity in Egypt.
Tawadros is currently on a pastoral visit in some European Countries. From Austria, the members of the local Egyptian community have invited all of their compatriots around the world to join in supporting the candidacy proposal with a "vigorous" campaign of support.
During the summer, the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch had avoided to appear in public for security reasons, in order not to put the lives of many Copts at risk, who every Wednesday attended his catechesis in the cathedral in Cairo. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2013)
- 2015-05-26 - The Council of Christian Churches celebrate the second anniversary of its founding
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied
- 2015-04-29 - Reaffirmed the right of Christian workers to start work later on Sundays