AFRICA/EGYPT - The Egyptians in Austria candidate Pope Tawadros for the Nobel Prize
Vienna (Agenzia Fides) - Austria launches the campaign to candidate Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II for the Nobel Prize for Peace. This was announced by the head of the Egyptian community in Austria Mufid Ekladios. According to the supporters of the initiative, Pope Tawadros deserves the prestigious award as recognition of the efforts made by him to prevent sectarian conflicts and preserve social peace and unity in Egypt.
Tawadros is currently on a pastoral visit in some European Countries. From Austria, the members of the local Egyptian community have invited all of their compatriots around the world to join in supporting the candidacy proposal with a "vigorous" campaign of support.
During the summer, the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch had avoided to appear in public for security reasons, in order not to put the lives of many Copts at risk, who every Wednesday attended his catechesis in the cathedral in Cairo. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - Candidates Sabbahi and al-Sisi at the Easter Vigil to be celebrated by Coptic Pope Tawadros
- 2014-03-31 - The false accusations against St. Catherine's Monastery have been rejected
- 2014-03-29 - Clashes after the Islamist assault on a church. Four dead
- 2014-03-26 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Board of inquiry: violence against Copts continues
- 2014-03-25 - Coptic Catholic Bishop on the sentences regarding the Muslim Brotherhood: the Church is always against the death penalty
- 2014-03-24 - Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Arab Spring" was actually a winter
- 2014-03-06 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
- 2014-03-01 - 62nd Catholic Festival of Egyptian Cinema opening ceremony
- 2014-02-25 - AFRICA/EGYPT – New rules for election of Orthodox Coptic Pope examined by civil authorities
- 2014-02-25 - “These extremists are shedding innocent blood to get more visibility” says Archbishop Martinelli