ASIA/JORDAN - The Syrian refugees in the grip of cold weather and snow
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - Storm Alexa makes the living conditions for hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees who fled the war zone unbearable. "In the boundless Zaatari refugee camp" refers to Fides Wael Suleiman, Director of Caritas Jordan - the storm has also destroyed many tents. Everybody suffers. As Caritas we have intensified the distribution of blankets and stoves.
Since the beginning of the refugee emergency, we have assisted 200 thousand. But they keep coming, even with the snow and the cold, and we cannot meet the needs of all these women, children and men fleeing war and have to face a life of hardship and suffering". Only on December 11, more than 700 new Syrian refugees arrived in Jordan. In early December, the number of Syrian refugees present in Jordanian territory had reached a whopping one million and 322 thousand people. And the same climate emergency hits refugees in Lebanon, especially in makeshift camps in the Bekaa Valley and the district of Akkar, where at least 80 thousand people live in tents covered by snow. The Syrians fleeing the mountainous region of Qalamun, also covered with snow, which in recent weeks has intensified the armed conflict between the army and rebel factions continue to arrive in Lebanon. Even Maalula is covered in snow, the village where nuns of the monastery of Santa Tecla abducted in recent days by rebel groups. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2013)
- 2014-08-22 - Caritas Jordan welcomes Iraqi Christians put to flight by the jihadists of the Islamic State (IS)
- 2014-06-26 - Caritas distributes aid to poor Muslim families before the start of Ramadan
- 2014-06-24 - A thousand children born in the refugee camp in Zaatari. The director of Caritas: we give them a future
- 2014-05-21 - Syrian refugees await Pope Francis. The director of Caritas Jordan: they hope that the world will remember them
- 2014-05-19 - 1,400 children to receive first communion at Pope-led mass at the Amman Stadium
- 2014-05-15 - The relatives of the martyr, Archbishop Rahho write to the Pope on the eve of his pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- 2014-05-03 - A special prayer for the Pope's pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- 2014-04-14 - The director of Caritas: among the refugees, the number of Christians increases
- 2014-03-29 - ASIA/JORDAN – The parish of Zarqa is the first to acquire a "solar energy system"
- 2014-02-27 - Tension with Israel over Holy Places, Archbishop Lahham: enough defiant acts