ASIA/JORDAN - The Syrian refugees in the grip of cold weather and snow
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - Storm Alexa makes the living conditions for hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees who fled the war zone unbearable. "In the boundless Zaatari refugee camp" refers to Fides Wael Suleiman, Director of Caritas Jordan - the storm has also destroyed many tents. Everybody suffers. As Caritas we have intensified the distribution of blankets and stoves.
Since the beginning of the refugee emergency, we have assisted 200 thousand. But they keep coming, even with the snow and the cold, and we cannot meet the needs of all these women, children and men fleeing war and have to face a life of hardship and suffering". Only on December 11, more than 700 new Syrian refugees arrived in Jordan. In early December, the number of Syrian refugees present in Jordanian territory had reached a whopping one million and 322 thousand people. And the same climate emergency hits refugees in Lebanon, especially in makeshift camps in the Bekaa Valley and the district of Akkar, where at least 80 thousand people live in tents covered by snow. The Syrians fleeing the mountainous region of Qalamun, also covered with snow, which in recent weeks has intensified the armed conflict between the army and rebel factions continue to arrive in Lebanon. Even Maalula is covered in snow, the village where nuns of the monastery of Santa Tecla abducted in recent days by rebel groups. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2013)
- 2015-05-21 - Educational project for young Christian refugees who have fled from north Iraq
- 2015-04-29 - The first "Lourdes Grotto" in the Hashemite Kingdom
- 2015-03-02 - The parish pastoral Councils answer the questions for the Synod on the family
- 2015-02-10 - CCSM denounces offensive drawings of Lord Jesus Christ on hookahs
- 2015-02-04 - Today masses and prayers in churches for the pilot burned alive by jihadists
- 2015-02-03 - Jordanian Minister: satirical cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad have nothing to do with Christianity
- 2015-01-22 - King Abdullah II praises the Pope: religions must not offended
- 2015-01-05 - Christian Schools welcome the Iraqis children who fled from Mosul and Nineveh Plain
- 2015-01-02 - The Grand Mufti of Jordan: the pronouncement of the "Fatwa" is reserved for authorized experts
- 2014-12-16 - More than 7,000 Christian refugees from Iraq; Caritas Jordan: "in two months we will not have anymore resources to assist them"