AMERICA/MEXICO -"Foreigners are not criminals": the appeal on behalf of the mothers of the Caravan
Mexico City ( Agenzia Fides) – Friar Tomás González, director of the house of immigrants of Tenosique Tabasco, welcomed the Caravan of Central American mothers who arrived in the capital of Mexico (see Fides 06/12/2013; 10/12/2013). A note sent to Fides Agency says that "there are xenophobic and anti-immigration policies on behalf of the State and other groups, which becomes an additional risk for immigrants. We all know that there are often assaults, murders, rapes, extortion, kidnappings and incidents with a high number of deaths".
On Tuesday, December 10 the 44 women of the Carovan from from Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, made a stop at the National Center for Social Communication (Cencos) to speak with reporters.
Mothers launched an appeal directly to President Enrique Peña Nieto: "Please listen to us. Help us find our children. Foreigners are not criminals" said a mother, Gabriela Vazquez.
Friar Tomás ended the press conference pointing out that the Church has asked the government to create a Secretariat for immigration that is able to effectively provide protection for foreign immigrants and Mexicans. He then recalled Pope Francis’ invitation on the theme of immigration, emphasizing his message and his presence in Lampedusa. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2013)
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day
- 2014-11-29 - Students missing: "The authorities must clarify the situation", said the Bishop of Tlaxcala
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace