AMERICA/MEXICO -"Foreigners are not criminals": the appeal on behalf of the mothers of the Caravan
Mexico City ( Agenzia Fides) – Friar Tomás González, director of the house of immigrants of Tenosique Tabasco, welcomed the Caravan of Central American mothers who arrived in the capital of Mexico (see Fides 06/12/2013; 10/12/2013). A note sent to Fides Agency says that "there are xenophobic and anti-immigration policies on behalf of the State and other groups, which becomes an additional risk for immigrants. We all know that there are often assaults, murders, rapes, extortion, kidnappings and incidents with a high number of deaths".
On Tuesday, December 10 the 44 women of the Carovan from from Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, made a stop at the National Center for Social Communication (Cencos) to speak with reporters.
Mothers launched an appeal directly to President Enrique Peña Nieto: "Please listen to us. Help us find our children. Foreigners are not criminals" said a mother, Gabriela Vazquez.
Friar Tomás ended the press conference pointing out that the Church has asked the government to create a Secretariat for immigration that is able to effectively provide protection for foreign immigrants and Mexicans. He then recalled Pope Francis’ invitation on the theme of immigration, emphasizing his message and his presence in Lampedusa. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement