AMERICA/MEXICO -"Foreigners are not criminals": the appeal on behalf of the mothers of the Caravan
Mexico City ( Agenzia Fides) – Friar Tomás González, director of the house of immigrants of Tenosique Tabasco, welcomed the Caravan of Central American mothers who arrived in the capital of Mexico (see Fides 06/12/2013; 10/12/2013). A note sent to Fides Agency says that "there are xenophobic and anti-immigration policies on behalf of the State and other groups, which becomes an additional risk for immigrants. We all know that there are often assaults, murders, rapes, extortion, kidnappings and incidents with a high number of deaths".
On Tuesday, December 10 the 44 women of the Carovan from from Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, made a stop at the National Center for Social Communication (Cencos) to speak with reporters.
Mothers launched an appeal directly to President Enrique Peña Nieto: "Please listen to us. Help us find our children. Foreigners are not criminals" said a mother, Gabriela Vazquez.
Friar Tomás ended the press conference pointing out that the Church has asked the government to create a Secretariat for immigration that is able to effectively provide protection for foreign immigrants and Mexicans. He then recalled Pope Francis’ invitation on the theme of immigration, emphasizing his message and his presence in Lampedusa. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2013)
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration
- 2014-07-11 - The Central American Church's commitment to eradicate the causes of child emigration
- 2014-07-07 - More than 8 million indigenous women suffer physical and moral violence
- 2014-07-04 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Inauguration of a reception center, but the issue on migrants should be resolved at the root
- 2014-07-03 - Formation and spirituality for a missionary Church, engaged in society
- 2014-07-02 - Immigrant children: now even more controls on the southern border of Mexico
- 2014-07-01 - Despite the distrust of the population, the police fight against crime
- 2014-06-30 - Marijuana and cocaine as early as 12 years of age