AMERICA/MEXICO -"Foreigners are not criminals": the appeal on behalf of the mothers of the Caravan
Mexico City ( Agenzia Fides) – Friar Tomás González, director of the house of immigrants of Tenosique Tabasco, welcomed the Caravan of Central American mothers who arrived in the capital of Mexico (see Fides 06/12/2013; 10/12/2013). A note sent to Fides Agency says that "there are xenophobic and anti-immigration policies on behalf of the State and other groups, which becomes an additional risk for immigrants. We all know that there are often assaults, murders, rapes, extortion, kidnappings and incidents with a high number of deaths".
On Tuesday, December 10 the 44 women of the Carovan from from Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, made a stop at the National Center for Social Communication (Cencos) to speak with reporters.
Mothers launched an appeal directly to President Enrique Peña Nieto: "Please listen to us. Help us find our children. Foreigners are not criminals" said a mother, Gabriela Vazquez.
Friar Tomás ended the press conference pointing out that the Church has asked the government to create a Secretariat for immigration that is able to effectively provide protection for foreign immigrants and Mexicans. He then recalled Pope Francis’ invitation on the theme of immigration, emphasizing his message and his presence in Lampedusa. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2013)
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude