AMERICA/MEXICO -"Foreigners are not criminals": the appeal on behalf of the mothers of the Caravan
Mexico City ( Agenzia Fides) – Friar Tomás González, director of the house of immigrants of Tenosique Tabasco, welcomed the Caravan of Central American mothers who arrived in the capital of Mexico (see Fides 06/12/2013; 10/12/2013). A note sent to Fides Agency says that "there are xenophobic and anti-immigration policies on behalf of the State and other groups, which becomes an additional risk for immigrants. We all know that there are often assaults, murders, rapes, extortion, kidnappings and incidents with a high number of deaths".
On Tuesday, December 10 the 44 women of the Carovan from from Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, made a stop at the National Center for Social Communication (Cencos) to speak with reporters.
Mothers launched an appeal directly to President Enrique Peña Nieto: "Please listen to us. Help us find our children. Foreigners are not criminals" said a mother, Gabriela Vazquez.
Friar Tomás ended the press conference pointing out that the Church has asked the government to create a Secretariat for immigration that is able to effectively provide protection for foreign immigrants and Mexicans. He then recalled Pope Francis’ invitation on the theme of immigration, emphasizing his message and his presence in Lampedusa. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2013)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"