AFRICA/MOROCCO - "Barbed wire with blades to defend the Spanish enclaves, is an attack on the physical integrity of immigrants" says the Bishop of Tangier
Tangier (Agenzia Fides) - "Barbed wire with blades on fences in Ceuta and Melilla, is an attack on the physical integrity of immigrants: those blades cut, injure, maim and are contrary to the duty which we all have to respect the rights of African men, women and children on their journeys to European Countries" denounces Mgr. Santiago Agrelo Martinez, Bishop of Tangier in a letter sent to the Minister of the Interior of Spain, Jorge Fernández, on the occasion of World Human Rights day, which was celebrated yesterday, December 10.
In November, the Spanish government decided to reintroduce barbed wire with blades in the barrier that divides Morocco from the Spanish enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla, eliminated in 2007 for causing deep cuts to the hands and legs of immigrants who were trying to jump the double iron barrier of the border. After protests from Spanish and international non-governmental organizations, they had been replaced with a third metal barrier.
"It is understood - writes the Bishop - that a government must ensure adequate security of citizens in the territory of the nation. But its legitimacy fades if means that deprive others of the fundamental right to health, wellness, food, clothing, housing, medical care, social services are used".
"The blades cause only pain and death", concluded Mgr. Agrelo Martinez. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/12/2013)
- 2015-07-08 - Migrants evicted welcomed in the Cathedral of Tangier
- 2015-06-19 - Child workers decrease, except in rural areas
- 2015-05-25 - Child marriage exacerbated by poverty and ignorance htnee s e steme t e
- 2014-12-19 - One hundred thousand children cannot attend school because of the floods
- 2014-05-31 - AFRICA/MOROCCO – Healthcare for women and children improves
- 2013-12-11 - "Barbed wire with blades to defend the Spanish enclaves, is an attack on the physical integrity of immigrants" says the Bishop of Tangier
- 2012-11-22 - Thousands of children workers suffer verbal and physical abuse, despite laws
- 2011-06-18 - The King presents the new Constitution and promises to guarantee "freedom of religious worship"
- 2011-05-18 - Morocco a possible partner of the Gulf Cooperation Council: towards the creation of a regional "monarchical" bloc ?
- 2011-03-28 - Bishops of Northern Africa: “No to war. We will make the Pope's appeal our own”