AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops call for social peace: problems have to be faced with dialogue
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - "Argentina is in desperate need to stop attitudes that jeopardize safety and social peace. This affects all of us". This is how the message of the Episcopal Conference of Argentina begins which is addressed to the national community after the terrible events that took place in 16 cities across the country. "One cannot deny problems - continues the text sent to Fides Agency - but we have to face and solve them through sincere and constructive dialogue, which is an expression of social belonging and friendship. The police strike has created situations of insecurity regarding entire cities that do not agree with the spirit and professionalism of these security forces. We need your presence".
There were 5 days of tension, fear and violence in cities across the country: Buenos Aires, Santa Fe, Entre Ríos, Chaco, Tucumán, Jujuy, Cordoba and others. To put an end to the police protests, the provinces have granted an increase in the basic salary of policemen which now is 8,500 pesos a month (about $ 1,350), ie almost a 50 percent increase. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/12/2013)
- 2015-08-18 - “They steal not only the people’s money but also their hope” Bishop Lozano denounces
- 2015-08-05 - Argentina recalls the murder of Mgr. Angelelli who opposed to dictatorship
- 2015-07-22 - "Bring Christ to families": hundreds of young people on a mission to Goya
- 2015-07-21 - "Mission, a way of life": towards the fourth National Meeting of Missionary Groups
- 2015-07-15 - Nearly 30 percent of Argentines live in a situation of poverty
- 2015-07-10 - The Archbishop of Tucuman denounces: laws that violate the rights and freedom of conscience, attacks against the Church, a climate of fear
- 2015-06-24 - Bishop of Jujuy: "We need the State’s strong support against drugs"
- 2015-06-18 - The first Congress on intercultural and interreligious dialogue
- 2015-06-12 - "We are concerned about the new poor", said Mgr. Ojea, head of Caritas
- 2015-06-11 - "In this America's Cup, and always, say no to trafficking": campaign against human trafficking