AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops call for social peace: problems have to be faced with dialogue
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - "Argentina is in desperate need to stop attitudes that jeopardize safety and social peace. This affects all of us". This is how the message of the Episcopal Conference of Argentina begins which is addressed to the national community after the terrible events that took place in 16 cities across the country. "One cannot deny problems - continues the text sent to Fides Agency - but we have to face and solve them through sincere and constructive dialogue, which is an expression of social belonging and friendship. The police strike has created situations of insecurity regarding entire cities that do not agree with the spirit and professionalism of these security forces. We need your presence".
There were 5 days of tension, fear and violence in cities across the country: Buenos Aires, Santa Fe, Entre Ríos, Chaco, Tucumán, Jujuy, Cordoba and others. To put an end to the police protests, the provinces have granted an increase in the basic salary of policemen which now is 8,500 pesos a month (about $ 1,350), ie almost a 50 percent increase. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/12/2013)
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites
- 2014-05-28 - Church and civil authorities together for the safety of citizens
- 2014-05-26 - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
- 2014-05-14 - "The country is sick of violence": proposal of Bishops to respond to this reality
- 2014-05-05 - Episcopal Assembly begins: "It is impossible to get used to drugs and violence"
- 2014-04-10 - For the Bishop of Posadas: "Lynchings, a serious social problem to be solved together"