AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops call for social peace: problems have to be faced with dialogue
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - "Argentina is in desperate need to stop attitudes that jeopardize safety and social peace. This affects all of us". This is how the message of the Episcopal Conference of Argentina begins which is addressed to the national community after the terrible events that took place in 16 cities across the country. "One cannot deny problems - continues the text sent to Fides Agency - but we have to face and solve them through sincere and constructive dialogue, which is an expression of social belonging and friendship. The police strike has created situations of insecurity regarding entire cities that do not agree with the spirit and professionalism of these security forces. We need your presence".
There were 5 days of tension, fear and violence in cities across the country: Buenos Aires, Santa Fe, Entre Ríos, Chaco, Tucumán, Jujuy, Cordoba and others. To put an end to the police protests, the provinces have granted an increase in the basic salary of policemen which now is 8,500 pesos a month (about $ 1,350), ie almost a 50 percent increase. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/12/2013)
- 2015-11-25 - New President: the Church hopes stronger solidarity policies for vulnerable sectors
- 2015-11-20 - Thousands occupy houses and land, the Bishop denounces the absence of state authorities
- 2015-11-17 - Family, formation of priests, environmental problems: the topics analyzed by the Bishops
- 2015-11-11 - 140 years ago the first group of Salesian missionaries arrived in Patagonia
- 2015-11-09 - Assembly of Bishops in progress: Eucharistic Congress, family and priestly formation Buenos
- 2015-11-05 - Mining company withdraws from La Rioja: statement of the Bishop and the Deputy Governor
- 2015-11-04 - The request of the diocese to the State: "Do not suspend the subsidies to schools"
- 2015-11-03 - National Day of the Sick, an opportunity aimed to arouse greater sensitivity
- 2015-10-26 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – First stage of Bishop’s beatification process expected to take two years
- 2015-10-06 - Mgr. Gimeno in view of the elections: "We must learn to choose before voting"