AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops call for social peace: problems have to be faced with dialogue
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - "Argentina is in desperate need to stop attitudes that jeopardize safety and social peace. This affects all of us". This is how the message of the Episcopal Conference of Argentina begins which is addressed to the national community after the terrible events that took place in 16 cities across the country. "One cannot deny problems - continues the text sent to Fides Agency - but we have to face and solve them through sincere and constructive dialogue, which is an expression of social belonging and friendship. The police strike has created situations of insecurity regarding entire cities that do not agree with the spirit and professionalism of these security forces. We need your presence".
There were 5 days of tension, fear and violence in cities across the country: Buenos Aires, Santa Fe, Entre Ríos, Chaco, Tucumán, Jujuy, Cordoba and others. To put an end to the police protests, the provinces have granted an increase in the basic salary of policemen which now is 8,500 pesos a month (about $ 1,350), ie almost a 50 percent increase. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/12/2013)
- 2014-11-05 - The fight against drugs should be considered a State matter
- 2014-11-04 - Two thousand secondary school teachers gathered for the XII Education Forum
- 2014-10-30 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Drugs: "it is urgent to move from concern to action"
- 2014-10-28 - The Bishops' spot: where are the children who disappeared during the State terrorism?
- 2014-10-11 - During the debate on drugs, the government also looks at the position of Bishops
- 2014-10-09 - Strong commitment of the Diocese of Quilmes against human trafficking and related crimes
- 2014-10-08 - Free vaccination campaign for children
- 2014-09-06 - The life of every migrant demands we build a new world; migrants’ pilgrimage to Luján
- 2014-09-04 - Announcing Christ on the streets: “committed to mission” for the archdiocese of Salta
- 2014-09-03 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The Month of the Bible, ideal context for giving new impulse to the evangelising mission of the Church