AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "There is social fear, now we have to heal the wounds of the people": the Bishop of Concordia talks about the violence
Concordia (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Luis Armando Collazuol, Bishop of Concordia (Argentina), participated in the negotiations between the governor Sergio Urribarri and representatives of the police, whose officers locked themselves up in the barracks to ask for better wages (see Fides 05/12/2013), leaving the towns at the mercy of vandals and looters. The Bishop noted that his speech has always aimed to "help dialogue between the parties", and therefore, in a note sent to Fides Agency, states: "We now have another tough task to carry out and that is to heal the wounds of the people".
In the note, the Bishop of Concordia talks about how he lived these critical hours: on the one hand, the protest of the police and on the other theft and looting: "Yesterday (Monday 9) we were very sad, there was a lot of tension in the city, still looting, violence, neighbors who were armed to defend their premises, while there were no police on the street". The Bishop stresses that "police officers should be paid equally, but society cannot be left without any protection".
Mgr. Collazuol had met with the priests of the Diocese of Concordia to assess "how to guide society in this difficult situation", and the proposal of some sort of presence was offered "to help the parties to dialogue in order to create peaceful, sincere dialogue, but always through institutional channels".
Concluding his story, the Bishop points out that "Now there is mistrust among the people, there is social fear.
As the Bishop of Jujuy had previously said (see Fides 10/12/2013), also Mgr. Collazuol points out, "even though there are people who need help, looting was not carried out because of hunger, food was not stolen, but household appliances". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/12/2013)
- 2015-11-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – For the Bishops: to encourage gambling addiction "is a crime against the poorest"
- 2015-11-25 - New President: the Church hopes stronger solidarity policies for vulnerable sectors
- 2015-11-20 - Thousands occupy houses and land, the Bishop denounces the absence of state authorities
- 2015-11-17 - Family, formation of priests, environmental problems: the topics analyzed by the Bishops
- 2015-11-11 - 140 years ago the first group of Salesian missionaries arrived in Patagonia
- 2015-11-09 - Assembly of Bishops in progress: Eucharistic Congress, family and priestly formation Buenos
- 2015-11-05 - Mining company withdraws from La Rioja: statement of the Bishop and the Deputy Governor
- 2015-11-04 - The request of the diocese to the State: "Do not suspend the subsidies to schools"
- 2015-11-03 - National Day of the Sick, an opportunity aimed to arouse greater sensitivity
- 2015-10-26 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – First stage of Bishop’s beatification process expected to take two years