AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Bishops’ appeal to stop violence and vandalism. "There have been deaths in Jujuy", said Mgr. Fernandez
Jujuy (Agenzia Fides) - The Argentine Episcopal Conference has launched an appeal to the policemen who have been on strike in different regions of the country, asking them to "stop this behavior that jeopardizes safety and social peace". The Bishops invite the strikers to promote their wage demands "through honest dialogue".
"The police strike has created situations of insecurity abandonment in cities that do not agree with the spirit and professionalism of this security force", said the President of the Argentine Episcopal Conference, Monsignor José María Arancedo, Archbishop of Santa Fe, in a press statement.
Fides spoke to the Bishop of Jujuy, Mgr. César Daniel Fernández over the phone, who reported that "there have been some deaths due to looting in Jujuy, but the situation is returning to normality".
The Bishop added, however, "Many of these acts of vandalism are provoked, there are criminals who organize chaos and vandalism".
"We ask authorities to resolve this situation as soon as possible in order to reassure the community", concluded Mgr. Fernández. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2013)
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites
- 2014-05-28 - Church and civil authorities together for the safety of citizens
- 2014-05-26 - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
- 2014-05-14 - "The country is sick of violence": proposal of Bishops to respond to this reality
- 2014-05-05 - Episcopal Assembly begins: "It is impossible to get used to drugs and violence"
- 2014-04-10 - For the Bishop of Posadas: "Lynchings, a serious social problem to be solved together"