AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Bishops’ appeal to stop violence and vandalism. "There have been deaths in Jujuy", said Mgr. Fernandez
Jujuy (Agenzia Fides) - The Argentine Episcopal Conference has launched an appeal to the policemen who have been on strike in different regions of the country, asking them to "stop this behavior that jeopardizes safety and social peace". The Bishops invite the strikers to promote their wage demands "through honest dialogue".
"The police strike has created situations of insecurity abandonment in cities that do not agree with the spirit and professionalism of this security force", said the President of the Argentine Episcopal Conference, Monsignor José María Arancedo, Archbishop of Santa Fe, in a press statement.
Fides spoke to the Bishop of Jujuy, Mgr. César Daniel Fernández over the phone, who reported that "there have been some deaths due to looting in Jujuy, but the situation is returning to normality".
The Bishop added, however, "Many of these acts of vandalism are provoked, there are criminals who organize chaos and vandalism".
"We ask authorities to resolve this situation as soon as possible in order to reassure the community", concluded Mgr. Fernández. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2013)
- 2014-09-06 - The life of every migrant demands we build a new world; migrants’ pilgrimage to Luján
- 2014-09-04 - Announcing Christ on the streets: “committed to mission” for the archdiocese of Salta
- 2014-09-03 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The Month of the Bible, ideal context for giving new impulse to the evangelising mission of the Church
- 2014-08-21 - The Church launches an alarm regarding the increase of suicides among teenagers
- 2014-08-06 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Pope Francis welcomes the opening of a reception center for victims of sexual exploitation
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites