AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Bishops’ appeal to stop violence and vandalism. "There have been deaths in Jujuy", said Mgr. Fernandez
Jujuy (Agenzia Fides) - The Argentine Episcopal Conference has launched an appeal to the policemen who have been on strike in different regions of the country, asking them to "stop this behavior that jeopardizes safety and social peace". The Bishops invite the strikers to promote their wage demands "through honest dialogue".
"The police strike has created situations of insecurity abandonment in cities that do not agree with the spirit and professionalism of this security force", said the President of the Argentine Episcopal Conference, Monsignor José María Arancedo, Archbishop of Santa Fe, in a press statement.
Fides spoke to the Bishop of Jujuy, Mgr. César Daniel Fernández over the phone, who reported that "there have been some deaths due to looting in Jujuy, but the situation is returning to normality".
The Bishop added, however, "Many of these acts of vandalism are provoked, there are criminals who organize chaos and vandalism".
"We ask authorities to resolve this situation as soon as possible in order to reassure the community", concluded Mgr. Fernández. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2013)
- 2014-03-10 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - New policies for young people are urgently needed, because "drugs have entered all levels of society"
- 2014-03-10 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - There is no adequate treatment for HIV-positive children
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The campaign against drug abuse, a scourge for thousands of young people, restarts in Jujuy
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "From Blessed Brochero let us learn to become missionary disciples": meeting of the diocese of Patagonia
- 2014-01-16 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - On-Call service for cases of abuse, mistreatment or child neglect
- 2014-01-16 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Children subject of rights: an obligation for all States
- 2013-12-20 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Decent work against the culture of waste": the Pope's message to the MTE
- 2013-12-17 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Nearness does not leave us indifferent", Message from the Bishops of Patagonia
- 2013-12-11 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops call for social peace: problems have to be faced with dialogue
- 2013-12-11 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "There is social fear, now we have to heal the wounds of the people": the Bishop of Concordia talks about the violence