AMERICA/PARAGUAY - "The people demand justice": the cry which concludes the feast of Our Lady of Caacupé
Caacupé (Agenzia Fides) - "Family is the center and guides the integral growth of the human person, this is what our authorities must understand", is what His Exc. Mgr. Claudio Giménez Medina, Bishop of Caacupé (Paraguay) said in His homily, before thousands of faithful who filled the square of the basilica on December 8, the last day of the feast of Our Lady of Caacupé, the patron saint of Paraguay .
According to the note sent to Fides, all national authorities attended the celebration, including the President of the Republic Horacio Cartes. Mgr. Gimenez in his homily highlighted isuues concerning the latest political and social situation (see Fides 03/12/2013): "Thank God there is an outrage that arises in various sectors of the population, to ask for justice, and that has given amazing results", said the Bishop. He then invited to be indignant about the ongoing violence, especially in the north, where on the 8th December, a soldier was killed and another was injured after a clash with suspected members of the Paraguayan People's Army (EPP) terrorist group.
"In Paraguay there are evils that affect the family and have to be urgencly dealt with, including corruption", said Mgr. Gimenez, inviting us to repudiate the traffic of intercessions and nepotism. "The words: transparency, honesty, are not empty words" reiterated the Bishop of Caacupé, expressing deep regret because Paraguay continues to be among the most corrupt countries in the world. Finally Mgr. Giménez urged the youth to be "Protagonists of history". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2013)
- 2014-10-06 - Thousands of children abused and forced to live on the street
- 2014-09-29 - The natives are victims of poverty and racism
- 2014-09-15 - “Terrorism can never be combatted with terrorism”; local Catholic church denounces military violence
- 2014-07-28 - Thousands of children displaced due to the floods
- 2014-06-04 - Tension among the population of Ñacunday and Saint Lucia
- 2014-05-27 - Isolated due to the rain and without the aid of the authorities, "but we are also Paraguayans", cries the Vicar Apostolic of Chaco Paraguayo
- 2014-04-10 - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
- 2014-03-27 - General strike in the country; the Church supports those demanding justice and social solidarity
- 2014-03-07 - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
- 2014-03-06 - The Church calls for "fair justice"