AMERICA/PARAGUAY - "The people demand justice": the cry which concludes the feast of Our Lady of Caacupé
Caacupé (Agenzia Fides) - "Family is the center and guides the integral growth of the human person, this is what our authorities must understand", is what His Exc. Mgr. Claudio Giménez Medina, Bishop of Caacupé (Paraguay) said in His homily, before thousands of faithful who filled the square of the basilica on December 8, the last day of the feast of Our Lady of Caacupé, the patron saint of Paraguay .
According to the note sent to Fides, all national authorities attended the celebration, including the President of the Republic Horacio Cartes. Mgr. Gimenez in his homily highlighted isuues concerning the latest political and social situation (see Fides 03/12/2013): "Thank God there is an outrage that arises in various sectors of the population, to ask for justice, and that has given amazing results", said the Bishop. He then invited to be indignant about the ongoing violence, especially in the north, where on the 8th December, a soldier was killed and another was injured after a clash with suspected members of the Paraguayan People's Army (EPP) terrorist group.
"In Paraguay there are evils that affect the family and have to be urgencly dealt with, including corruption", said Mgr. Gimenez, inviting us to repudiate the traffic of intercessions and nepotism. "The words: transparency, honesty, are not empty words" reiterated the Bishop of Caacupé, expressing deep regret because Paraguay continues to be among the most corrupt countries in the world. Finally Mgr. Giménez urged the youth to be "Protagonists of history". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2013)
- 2015-07-20 - "Why are we so inhuman towards each other?" Asks Mgr. Gimenez denouncing violence
- 2015-06-18 - AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Urgent need to eradicate child labor, which is dangerous and harmful to physical and mental development
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace