AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – Mandela; Cardinal Napier: "Grateful for what he did for South Africa and the world"
Johannesburg ( Agenzia Fides) - "When I learned of the death of Mandela, my first reaction was one of gratitude. Gratitude for what Nelson Mandela did for South Africa and for the world", says Cardinal Wilfrid Fox Napier, Archbishop of Durban, in an interview with the French newspaper "La Croix".
"This man was a model. He embodied humility and had great respect for all those around him", the Cardinal added.
The funeral of the South African leader to be held today, December 10, will see the participation of Heads of State and government from all over the world.
The South African Bishops have urged priests to ring the bells of their churches at noon tomorrow, December 11, to honor the memory of the leader of the anti-apartheid struggle and the first President of democratic South Africa.(L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2013)
AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – MANDELA; CARDINAL NAPIER: "GRATEFUL FOR WHAT HE DID FOR SOUTH AFRICA AND THE WORLD"
- 2015-07-14 - Bishops' appeal: "Priority to the life of the poor people instead of the interests of pharmaceutical companies"
- 2015-07-02 - If these structural issues are not adequately addressed, we shall soon have another Marikana", says "Justice and Peace"
- 2015-06-26 - Presentation of the report on the incidents in Marikana, in 2012: "a horrible tragedy"
- 2015-06-18 - Bishops: 25% increase in electricity prices means the poor will be the ones hardest hit
- 2015-06-17 - South African leadership is accused of xenophobia
- 2015-06-03 - "The President is not liable for any non-security upgrades to his private residence"; Bishops: "we are afraid"
- 2015-05-06 - South African Bishops' donate money for the victims of xenophobic violence
- 2015-04-29 - Police arrest three people in connection with the murder of Sister Stefani Tiefenbacher
- 2015-04-21 - Natal: a life dedicated to poor children for 60 years
- 2015-04-17 - The Bishops condemn the outburst of xenophobic violence: "we are a nation of peace who conquered apartheid"