AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – Mandela; Cardinal Napier: "Grateful for what he did for South Africa and the world"
Johannesburg ( Agenzia Fides) - "When I learned of the death of Mandela, my first reaction was one of gratitude. Gratitude for what Nelson Mandela did for South Africa and for the world", says Cardinal Wilfrid Fox Napier, Archbishop of Durban, in an interview with the French newspaper "La Croix".
"This man was a model. He embodied humility and had great respect for all those around him", the Cardinal added.
The funeral of the South African leader to be held today, December 10, will see the participation of Heads of State and government from all over the world.
The South African Bishops have urged priests to ring the bells of their churches at noon tomorrow, December 11, to honor the memory of the leader of the anti-apartheid struggle and the first President of democratic South Africa.(L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2013)
- 2014-03-10 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The role of the General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences on the subject of reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transition
- 2014-02-19 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - South African Bishops: "Go and vote, because this right has been won with blood"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Bishops’ message in view of the elections on May 7: "Let us carefully choose who to vote for"
- 2014-01-29 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "No to laws that discriminate homosexuals": editorial of the Catholic Southern Cross
- 2013-12-10 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – Mandela; Cardinal Napier: "Grateful for what he did for South Africa and the world"
- 2013-12-06 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Let us pay tribute to Mandela fighting for his ideals", write the Catholic Bishops
- 2013-11-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Parish priest brutally assaulted in Pretoria
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Corruption is theft from the poor " denounce the Bishops of Southern Africa
- 2013-06-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Protect Somali nationals in South Africa", The Prime Minister of Somalia’s appeal to President Zuma
- 2013-05-18 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The Bishops say they want explanations for the apparent misuse of State property for a private wedding