AMERICA/MEXICO - Caravan of mothers: "The Church condemns all forms of violence against anyone, including immigrants", says the Bishop of Cordoba
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - "The Catholic Church condemns all forms of violence against anyone, including immigrants, this is why we join in prayer, to ask for tragedies to end during their journey": this is what His Exc. Mgr. Eduardo Patiño Leal, Bishop of Cordoba, Veracruz (Mexico) said after the celebration of the Immaculate Conception. The Bishop mentioned the Caravan of Central American mothers who this week will arrive in the community of La Patrona, in Amatlán de Los Reyes, in search of their children (see Fides 06/12/2013).
After celebrating Mass in the Cathedral of Cordoba, during a press conference, Mgr. Patiño Leal condemned the violence the Central American immigrants are subjected to when crossing Mexico, highlighting the fact that they are always asked a bribe to travel without any problems on the train. "This should make us think - said the Bishop - because we demand respect for the Mexican people in the United States".
According to the note sent to Fides, Mgr. Patiño Leal complained that illegal immigrants continue to be
seen as criminals and their human rights are not respected. The Bishop concluded by reaffirming that the clergy will continue to defend the rights of all, despite the threats that sometimes he receives, as "the most important thing is to keep fighting". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2013)
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day
- 2014-11-29 - Students missing: "The authorities must clarify the situation", said the Bishop of Tlaxcala
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace