AMERICA/MEXICO - Caravan of mothers: "The Church condemns all forms of violence against anyone, including immigrants", says the Bishop of Cordoba
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - "The Catholic Church condemns all forms of violence against anyone, including immigrants, this is why we join in prayer, to ask for tragedies to end during their journey": this is what His Exc. Mgr. Eduardo Patiño Leal, Bishop of Cordoba, Veracruz (Mexico) said after the celebration of the Immaculate Conception. The Bishop mentioned the Caravan of Central American mothers who this week will arrive in the community of La Patrona, in Amatlán de Los Reyes, in search of their children (see Fides 06/12/2013).
After celebrating Mass in the Cathedral of Cordoba, during a press conference, Mgr. Patiño Leal condemned the violence the Central American immigrants are subjected to when crossing Mexico, highlighting the fact that they are always asked a bribe to travel without any problems on the train. "This should make us think - said the Bishop - because we demand respect for the Mexican people in the United States".
According to the note sent to Fides, Mgr. Patiño Leal complained that illegal immigrants continue to be
seen as criminals and their human rights are not respected. The Bishop concluded by reaffirming that the clergy will continue to defend the rights of all, despite the threats that sometimes he receives, as "the most important thing is to keep fighting". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2013)
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children