AMERICA/MEXICO - Caravan of mothers: "The Church condemns all forms of violence against anyone, including immigrants", says the Bishop of Cordoba
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - "The Catholic Church condemns all forms of violence against anyone, including immigrants, this is why we join in prayer, to ask for tragedies to end during their journey": this is what His Exc. Mgr. Eduardo Patiño Leal, Bishop of Cordoba, Veracruz (Mexico) said after the celebration of the Immaculate Conception. The Bishop mentioned the Caravan of Central American mothers who this week will arrive in the community of La Patrona, in Amatlán de Los Reyes, in search of their children (see Fides 06/12/2013).
After celebrating Mass in the Cathedral of Cordoba, during a press conference, Mgr. Patiño Leal condemned the violence the Central American immigrants are subjected to when crossing Mexico, highlighting the fact that they are always asked a bribe to travel without any problems on the train. "This should make us think - said the Bishop - because we demand respect for the Mexican people in the United States".
According to the note sent to Fides, Mgr. Patiño Leal complained that illegal immigrants continue to be
seen as criminals and their human rights are not respected. The Bishop concluded by reaffirming that the clergy will continue to defend the rights of all, despite the threats that sometimes he receives, as "the most important thing is to keep fighting". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement