AMERICA/MEXICO - Caravan of mothers: "The Church condemns all forms of violence against anyone, including immigrants", says the Bishop of Cordoba
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - "The Catholic Church condemns all forms of violence against anyone, including immigrants, this is why we join in prayer, to ask for tragedies to end during their journey": this is what His Exc. Mgr. Eduardo Patiño Leal, Bishop of Cordoba, Veracruz (Mexico) said after the celebration of the Immaculate Conception. The Bishop mentioned the Caravan of Central American mothers who this week will arrive in the community of La Patrona, in Amatlán de Los Reyes, in search of their children (see Fides 06/12/2013).
After celebrating Mass in the Cathedral of Cordoba, during a press conference, Mgr. Patiño Leal condemned the violence the Central American immigrants are subjected to when crossing Mexico, highlighting the fact that they are always asked a bribe to travel without any problems on the train. "This should make us think - said the Bishop - because we demand respect for the Mexican people in the United States".
According to the note sent to Fides, Mgr. Patiño Leal complained that illegal immigrants continue to be
seen as criminals and their human rights are not respected. The Bishop concluded by reaffirming that the clergy will continue to defend the rights of all, despite the threats that sometimes he receives, as "the most important thing is to keep fighting". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2013)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"