AMERICA/MEXICO - Caravan of mothers: "The Church condemns all forms of violence against anyone, including immigrants", says the Bishop of Cordoba
Veracruz (Agenzia Fides) - "The Catholic Church condemns all forms of violence against anyone, including immigrants, this is why we join in prayer, to ask for tragedies to end during their journey": this is what His Exc. Mgr. Eduardo Patiño Leal, Bishop of Cordoba, Veracruz (Mexico) said after the celebration of the Immaculate Conception. The Bishop mentioned the Caravan of Central American mothers who this week will arrive in the community of La Patrona, in Amatlán de Los Reyes, in search of their children (see Fides 06/12/2013).
After celebrating Mass in the Cathedral of Cordoba, during a press conference, Mgr. Patiño Leal condemned the violence the Central American immigrants are subjected to when crossing Mexico, highlighting the fact that they are always asked a bribe to travel without any problems on the train. "This should make us think - said the Bishop - because we demand respect for the Mexican people in the United States".
According to the note sent to Fides, Mgr. Patiño Leal complained that illegal immigrants continue to be
seen as criminals and their human rights are not respected. The Bishop concluded by reaffirming that the clergy will continue to defend the rights of all, despite the threats that sometimes he receives, as "the most important thing is to keep fighting". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement
- 2014-03-03 AMERICA/MEXICO - Five thousand people with the Bishop to march for peace and the family
- 2014-02-24 AMERICA/MEXICO - “We must be all involved to stop the violence” says the Bishop of Zacatecas
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/MEXICO - Prevention is not enough: Church, state and society must work together to combat human trafficking
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Society based on the family": opening of the Year of the Family in the Diocese of Orizaba
- 2014-02-12 AMERICA/MEXICO - Authorities have to talk less and be more effective in terms of safety
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Solidarity with the nuns assaulted and request to solve the problem of land
- 2014-02-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church concerned about the influenza that kills
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - "The use of drugs cannot be fought with drugs", the Archdiocese against the bill