ASIA/SYRIA - The nuns of Maalula, the Lebanese security chief in Qatar to try and find a solution
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - General Abbas Ibrahim, leader of the Lebanese security apparatuses, on behalf of the Lebanese President Michel Sleiman visited Qatar on Saturday, December 7 in an attempt to find a solution to the case of the nuns of Maalula abducted from the monastery of Santa Tecla and transferred to a place so far unidentified.
The mission - which takes into account the links between the Emirate and some armed factions in conflict with the Syrian government army - has been confirmed by Lebanese sources consulted by Fides Agency.
It seems that General Ibrahim also contacted the TV station Al-Jazeera to have news on the source of the video transmitted by the network on Friday, December 6, in which the nuns appear sitting on the sofa in a large room, solicited by a male voice who pronounced reassuring phrases on their conditions, presented not as an abduction but as a kind of humanitarian operation to protect them from the dangers, after the city of Maalula was again occupied by rebel militias.
So far, the only claim with regards to the "abduction" of the nuns comes from the anti-Assad faction that calls itself "Free Qalamun", whose spokesman Mohannad Abu al-Fidaa said that the nuns will not be freed only in exchange for the release of thousands of women held in the prisons by the Syrian regime. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 07/12/2013)
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus
- 2015-06-12 - President Assad meets the Patriarch and the Synod of Syrian-Orthodox Bishops
- 2015-06-11 - Jihadist militants of al Nusra Front massacre dozens of Druze civilians in Idlib
- 2015-06-09 - The five Patriarchs of Antioch in Damascus: no to the disintegration of Syria
- 2015-06-01 - Muslim leaders for the release of father Murad, but the kidnappers are foreign to the social fabric