AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The whole country is terrorized": new testimonies on the drama of Central Africa
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Fides received further dramatic testimony from the Central African Republic, gripped by clashes between former Seleka rebels and "anti Balaka" self-defense groups, while the French troops of the African Union are doing their best to ensure a minimum of security.
"The whole country is terrorised" refers to Caritas Internationalis Fr. Anicet Assingambi of the parish of St. Carlo of Lwanga, in the north of Bangui, the capital. Tens of thousands of people are seeking shelter in Bangui’s church buildings and church compounds throughout the country.
"There are five thousand people hiding in our parish buildings. A woman told me she’d seen her brother gunned down. All men are shot at if they go outside. There is a young man dead on the street outside, but it’s too dangerous to go outside to remove his body", says Fr. Assingambi.
"We have nothing to give them" - says Fr . Assingambi. "Their homes have been looted. They’re mourning their dead. When they arrived in the church, the children were crying. We sang hymns and said prayers and that has helped calm people down. We have never seen anything as bad as this before. We’re at the mercy of God, please pray for us".
The statement sent to Fides says that at the moment it is impossible for Caritas workers to reach out to the people in need.
In Bossangoa in the north of the Country , Caritas fears for the safety of over 40,000 people camped out in the Catholic mission compound and 1,600 people who are hiding in a school. Yesterday, December 6, a rocket landed in the mission miraculously not killing anyone.
The Catholic Church in Central African Republic is calling for an immediate cease-fire and for humanitarian aid to be allowed. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/12/2013 )
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam