AMERICA/MEXICO - "The Church is not afraid of threats", says the Bishop of Toluca
Toluca (Agenzia Fides) - "We too are part of the people, and we as people also receive threats and attempts of extortion", denounced the Bishop of Toluca, Mgr. Francisco Javier Chavolla Ramos.
The diocese has filed a complaint to the competent authorities. The note sent to Fides says: "We have faith and we do not fear other people’s wickedness. We must express our identity, we are different, and do not even need to leave everything in the hands of authorities. We are all responsible of our future", stressed the Bishop who called on operators of the media not to exaggerate the extent of these episodes. Often the threats do not lead to specific episodes of violence. "Mexico has the right to live in peace. We must be united in order to be responsible for our social life", said the Bishop.
Even the Church is not immune to the climate of violence and intimidation that shake the Country.
A situation that in some areas of the country generates terror: in fact, only a few days ago the police discoverd more than sixty corpses in a cemetery, in a remote area between the States of Jalisco and Michoacan, some of them with obvious signs of torture. We also recall the murder of two Catholic priests in late November (see Fides 30/11/2013 ) in their parish home in Tuxpan, in the State of Veracruz. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/12/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement
- 2014-03-03 AMERICA/MEXICO - Five thousand people with the Bishop to march for peace and the family
- 2014-02-24 AMERICA/MEXICO - “We must be all involved to stop the violence” says the Bishop of Zacatecas
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/MEXICO - Prevention is not enough: Church, state and society must work together to combat human trafficking
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Society based on the family": opening of the Year of the Family in the Diocese of Orizaba
- 2014-02-12 AMERICA/MEXICO - Authorities have to talk less and be more effective in terms of safety
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Solidarity with the nuns assaulted and request to solve the problem of land
- 2014-02-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church concerned about the influenza that kills
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - "The use of drugs cannot be fought with drugs", the Archdiocese against the bill