AMERICA/MEXICO - "The Church is not afraid of threats", says the Bishop of Toluca
Toluca (Agenzia Fides) - "We too are part of the people, and we as people also receive threats and attempts of extortion", denounced the Bishop of Toluca, Mgr. Francisco Javier Chavolla Ramos.
The diocese has filed a complaint to the competent authorities. The note sent to Fides says: "We have faith and we do not fear other people’s wickedness. We must express our identity, we are different, and do not even need to leave everything in the hands of authorities. We are all responsible of our future", stressed the Bishop who called on operators of the media not to exaggerate the extent of these episodes. Often the threats do not lead to specific episodes of violence. "Mexico has the right to live in peace. We must be united in order to be responsible for our social life", said the Bishop.
Even the Church is not immune to the climate of violence and intimidation that shake the Country.
A situation that in some areas of the country generates terror: in fact, only a few days ago the police discoverd more than sixty corpses in a cemetery, in a remote area between the States of Jalisco and Michoacan, some of them with obvious signs of torture. We also recall the murder of two Catholic priests in late November (see Fides 30/11/2013 ) in their parish home in Tuxpan, in the State of Veracruz. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/12/2013)
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"