AMERICA/MEXICO - "The Church is not afraid of threats", says the Bishop of Toluca
Toluca (Agenzia Fides) - "We too are part of the people, and we as people also receive threats and attempts of extortion", denounced the Bishop of Toluca, Mgr. Francisco Javier Chavolla Ramos.
The diocese has filed a complaint to the competent authorities. The note sent to Fides says: "We have faith and we do not fear other people’s wickedness. We must express our identity, we are different, and do not even need to leave everything in the hands of authorities. We are all responsible of our future", stressed the Bishop who called on operators of the media not to exaggerate the extent of these episodes. Often the threats do not lead to specific episodes of violence. "Mexico has the right to live in peace. We must be united in order to be responsible for our social life", said the Bishop.
Even the Church is not immune to the climate of violence and intimidation that shake the Country.
A situation that in some areas of the country generates terror: in fact, only a few days ago the police discoverd more than sixty corpses in a cemetery, in a remote area between the States of Jalisco and Michoacan, some of them with obvious signs of torture. We also recall the murder of two Catholic priests in late November (see Fides 30/11/2013 ) in their parish home in Tuxpan, in the State of Veracruz. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/12/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement