AFRICA/EGYPT - A well-known Christian arrested for his conversion from Islam
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Christian Egyptian Bishoy Armiya, became known at the time of his conversion from Islam, was arrested in recent days by the national security forces. This was claimed by Egyptian sources that do not reveal the reasons for his arrest. According to security forces mentioned in an anonymous manner by MidEast Christian News (MCN) agency, the prisoner is accused of having photographed delicate military and political objectives.
Armiya - whose original name is Mohammed Hegazy - had become known in Egypt at the time of his conversion, when he fought to change the declaration of religious affiliation stated on his identity card. Already in 2010, in an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network (television network founded by the controversial tele-evangelist Pat Robertson) Armiya declared that Egyptian security forces had arrested and tortured him in order to force him to return to Islam. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2013)
- 2015-10-09 - Coptic Organizations call on President al-Sisi to reopen the investigation into the massacre of Maspero
- 2015-10-06 - Sectarian clashes in Samalut, the "city of martyrs": ten Copts wounded
- 2015-10-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: Christians who present themselves as candidates in the Salafist lists are not credible
- 2015-09-30 - The Coptic Church will support the initiatives of President al-Sisi in favor of youth employment
- 2015-09-26 - Patriarch Tawadros visits the Ethiopian "sister Church"
- 2015-09-22 - A Fatwa to allow the Copts on the electoral Salafist lists
- 2015-09-11 - 24 Copts appointed in the electoral lists of the Salafi party
- 2015-09-09 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the Church has a spiritual and not a political mission
- 2015-09-08 - A demonstration protest in front of the Coptic Cathedral has been prohibited
- 2015-09-03 - Egyptian Coptic Patriarch: let us rationalize the use of the Nile waters