AFRICA/EGYPT - A well-known Christian arrested for his conversion from Islam
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Christian Egyptian Bishoy Armiya, became known at the time of his conversion from Islam, was arrested in recent days by the national security forces. This was claimed by Egyptian sources that do not reveal the reasons for his arrest. According to security forces mentioned in an anonymous manner by MidEast Christian News (MCN) agency, the prisoner is accused of having photographed delicate military and political objectives.
Armiya - whose original name is Mohammed Hegazy - had become known in Egypt at the time of his conversion, when he fought to change the declaration of religious affiliation stated on his identity card. Already in 2010, in an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network (television network founded by the controversial tele-evangelist Pat Robertson) Armiya declared that Egyptian security forces had arrested and tortured him in order to force him to return to Islam. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2013)
- 2015-08-28 - The Coptic Church: the life of the Country depends on the "good health" of the Nile
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity
- 2015-07-22 - A law is being requested against conversions of Christian minors without parental consent
- 2015-07-21 - The Council of Christian Churches convenes a day of prayer on the anniversary of the 1952 "Revolution"
- 2015-07-15 - Patriarch Tawadros withdraws the complaint against the militants of the "38 Copts" association
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General
- 2015-06-26 - Christians organize the "banquet of unity" for Muslims on the occasion of Ramadan