AFRICA/EGYPT - A well-known Christian arrested for his conversion from Islam
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Christian Egyptian Bishoy Armiya, became known at the time of his conversion from Islam, was arrested in recent days by the national security forces. This was claimed by Egyptian sources that do not reveal the reasons for his arrest. According to security forces mentioned in an anonymous manner by MidEast Christian News (MCN) agency, the prisoner is accused of having photographed delicate military and political objectives.
Armiya - whose original name is Mohammed Hegazy - had become known in Egypt at the time of his conversion, when he fought to change the declaration of religious affiliation stated on his identity card. Already in 2010, in an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network (television network founded by the controversial tele-evangelist Pat Robertson) Armiya declared that Egyptian security forces had arrested and tortured him in order to force him to return to Islam. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2013)
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General
- 2015-06-26 - Christians organize the "banquet of unity" for Muslims on the occasion of Ramadan
- 2015-06-25 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Gospel of Barnabas" is a fake
- 2015-06-24 - The campaign to "clean up" the bookshops and libraries of mosques of extremist propaganda continues
- 2015-06-22 - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros receives a delegation of Chinese People
- 2015-06-15 - The Egyptian Ambassador to the Holy See: Al Sisi has invited Pope Francis to Egypt
- 2015-05-28 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic boys released, falsely accused of an "insulting" video towards Islam
- 2015-05-26 - The Council of Christian Churches celebrate the second anniversary of its founding
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"