AFRICA/EGYPT - A well-known Christian arrested for his conversion from Islam
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Christian Egyptian Bishoy Armiya, became known at the time of his conversion from Islam, was arrested in recent days by the national security forces. This was claimed by Egyptian sources that do not reveal the reasons for his arrest. According to security forces mentioned in an anonymous manner by MidEast Christian News (MCN) agency, the prisoner is accused of having photographed delicate military and political objectives.
Armiya - whose original name is Mohammed Hegazy - had become known in Egypt at the time of his conversion, when he fought to change the declaration of religious affiliation stated on his identity card. Already in 2010, in an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network (television network founded by the controversial tele-evangelist Pat Robertson) Armiya declared that Egyptian security forces had arrested and tortured him in order to force him to return to Islam. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2013)
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied
- 2015-04-29 - Reaffirmed the right of Christian workers to start work later on Sundays
- 2015-04-28 - Sinai jihadist groups threaten Copts for their support to President al-Sisi