AFRICA/EGYPT - A well-known Christian arrested for his conversion from Islam
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Christian Egyptian Bishoy Armiya, became known at the time of his conversion from Islam, was arrested in recent days by the national security forces. This was claimed by Egyptian sources that do not reveal the reasons for his arrest. According to security forces mentioned in an anonymous manner by MidEast Christian News (MCN) agency, the prisoner is accused of having photographed delicate military and political objectives.
Armiya - whose original name is Mohammed Hegazy - had become known in Egypt at the time of his conversion, when he fought to change the declaration of religious affiliation stated on his identity card. Already in 2010, in an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network (television network founded by the controversial tele-evangelist Pat Robertson) Armiya declared that Egyptian security forces had arrested and tortured him in order to force him to return to Islam. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2013)
- 2014-12-15 - Al Azhar: those who commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam cannot be labelled "infidel"
- 2014-12-13 - The Coptic Orthodox Church: "Employment Day" for young job seekers
- 2014-12-10 - The government is studying the draft electoral law, 24 seats reserved for Christians
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – In Minya Governatorate in 4 years some 120 million Egyptian pounds paid in ransom for kidnapped Christians
- 2014-12-04 - For Copt Catholic Bishop Antonios Mina the anti-Islamist terrorism Conference at al-Azhar was “epochal”
- 2014-12-03 - Conference on Islam and Terrorism at Al Azhar. Imam al- Tayyeb: “takfirist” extremism perverts the Islamic religion
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West
- 2014-10-28 - St. Catherine's Monastery denies the news of an Islamist attack