AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Voting is "a moral obligation": the Archbishop of Caracas invites to participate in the municipal elections
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - "Voting is an important moral obligation. It strengthens democracy and ensures the welfare of Venezuelans in each of the municipalities. We are all called to participate actively in a decisive and supportive manner. It is time to vote!" This is what is said in the statement of the Archdiocese of Caracas that invites the faithful to exercise their right to vote next Sunday, December, for the municipal elections.
In the document, divided into 6 points, Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, Archbishop of Caracas, and the auxiliary Bishops point out some aspects of this important event of national life. "We recall once again that the vote is secret. We reject undue threats. Free vote is a right that we should exercise with courage, determination, and according to our conscience. The National Electoral Council is required to implement the necessary measures so that the elections, both in the preparation and in the execution, are carried out with all guarantees of impartiality, accountability and transparency. Opportunism should absolutely be avoided, in particular regarding the use of state resources to promote the victory of one party "is what is written in the text sent to Fides Agency by the Archdiocese of Caracas.
In carrying out the mission of being builders of peace, the Bishops launch an appeal to participate actively in this moment of political life in the country. The document concludes with the blessing and the invocation of the protection of Our Lady of Coromoto, patroness of Venezuela.
In the Venezuelan capital, the climate is very tense, as opposition groups have organized themselves to vote against government representatives.
The current mayor of Caracas, Antonio Ledezma, rejected the allegation made by the government that the opposition promotes violence, and told the local press that "the people have the right to protest, but the best way to do this is by going to vote". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/12/2013)
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions
- 2014-12-06 - Poverty, few infrastructures and precarious preventive measures: fertile terrain for Chikungunya virus
- 2014-10-28 - Cardinal Urosa Savino: "Respect for political prisoners"
- 2014-10-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – May Saint John Paul II accompany Venezuela in the paths of peace and justice
- 2014-10-01 - "Division is not from God": in march for peace and unity of the country
- 2014-09-30 - Violence in the country does not decrease: a military chaplain killed
- 2014-09-27 - "Do not be afraid of peace" Pope Francis’ letter to Venezuela
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Laity meet apostolic Nuncio, a tradition which encourages the unity of the Church