AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The Church is ready to mediate", the Nunzio's intervention on the issue of Haitian immigrants
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - The new Apostolic Nuncio in the Dominican Republic, His Exc. Mgr. Jude Thaddeus Okolo, who was appointed on October 7, yesterday asked for the resumption of dialogue between the Dominican Republic and Haiti. If both countries deem it necessary, the Catholic Church is willing to mediate. Mgr. Okolo also expressed himself on the 168-13 judgment of the Constitutional Court, which provides for the revocation of Dominican citizenship to children of undocumented Haitian immigrants (see Fides 25/10/2013), which is causing tensions between the two countries.
"We want dialogue between the two parties, and also to find a human solution, in addition to this ruling", said the Vatican's diplomatic representative in his first public statement to Dominican reporters after taking office. Responding to reporters about the possible mediation for the resumption of dialogue between the two nations, the Archbishop said: "We will see, now we have to allow them to work. Only later the Church will see what it can do". At the insistence of journalists on the subject, Mgr. Okolo said: "However, if the parties want it, the Church is always ready". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/12/2013)
- 2015-08-04 - “Haiti refuses to help its own emigrants to regularise their status ” Dominican Republic intellectuals claim
- 2015-08-03 - Migrants: Bishops call for definitive solution
- 2015-07-24 - “Working at prevention” can put an end to violence, says Bishop Peña Rodríguez
- 2015-05-29 - The Pope urges us not to be indifferent towards immigrants
- 2015-05-20 - 90% of HIV-positive Dominicans live in extreme poverty
- 2015-05-15 - AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez, Colombian, elected President of CELAM
- 2015-05-04 - The Bishops encourage the President to continue direct contact with people most in need
- 2015-03-16 - Appeal of the Church in the Dominican Republic and Haiti: "Respect the human dignity of migrants"
- 2015-01-28 - Tension on the border with Haiti: appeal to the authorities of both countries
- 2014-10-07 - Requests on behalf of the National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Austerity and solidarity with workers,