AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Caritas meeting in Rome on the humanitarian emergency in Central Africa
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - The dramatic humanitarian crisis in the Central African Republic will be the focus of the meeting to be held on December 4 in Rome by Caritas Internationalis and several Caritas working in the Country.
"The groups for the defense of human rights have reported numerous cases of torture, murder and looting. The United Nations has launched the alarm of the danger that the situation could degenerate into a civil war", said a statement sent to Fides Agency.
The chaos in which the Central African Republic collapsed after having thrown out former President François Bozizé by rebels of the coalition Seleka, in March 2013, has created a serious humanitarian and food emergency because the harvest season has been affected by the violence.
"Bossangoa, in the north - says the statement - is perhaps the clearest image of the violent clashes between the rebels and self-defense groups that have forced 40,000 people to seek refuge in the Catholic mission".
Caritas points out that 400,000 displaced persons in Central Africa live in terrible conditions while 65,000 people have left the Country .
The meeting will also be attended by the Director of Caritas Central Africa, Fr. Elysée Guendjande, who was wounded by the rebels, and the head of the emergency response team of Caritas Internationalis, Emmanuel Mbuna. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/12/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam