AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Caritas meeting in Rome on the humanitarian emergency in Central Africa
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - The dramatic humanitarian crisis in the Central African Republic will be the focus of the meeting to be held on December 4 in Rome by Caritas Internationalis and several Caritas working in the Country.
"The groups for the defense of human rights have reported numerous cases of torture, murder and looting. The United Nations has launched the alarm of the danger that the situation could degenerate into a civil war", said a statement sent to Fides Agency.
The chaos in which the Central African Republic collapsed after having thrown out former President François Bozizé by rebels of the coalition Seleka, in March 2013, has created a serious humanitarian and food emergency because the harvest season has been affected by the violence.
"Bossangoa, in the north - says the statement - is perhaps the clearest image of the violent clashes between the rebels and self-defense groups that have forced 40,000 people to seek refuge in the Catholic mission".
Caritas points out that 400,000 displaced persons in Central Africa live in terrible conditions while 65,000 people have left the Country .
The meeting will also be attended by the Director of Caritas Central Africa, Fr. Elysée Guendjande, who was wounded by the rebels, and the head of the emergency response team of Caritas Internationalis, Emmanuel Mbuna. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/12/2013)
- 2015-03-03 - Archbishop of Bangui visits two militia leaders in prison
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga
- 2015-02-06 - "The conflict is political not religious" say three participants
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced
- 2014-12-30 - Archbishop of Bangui pays a visit to former Seleka rebels again
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-12-04 - Special Mass for peace at Bangui Carmel hosting 4,000 refugees