AFRICA/EGYPT - The draft constitution approved. The Sharia law recognized as a "source of law". Religious Parties banned
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - In the preamble already approved by consensus regarding the draft of the new Egyptian Constitution, "the principles of Sharia (Islamic law) which are the pre-eminent source of law" have been confirmed, but what is established is that the last word on the interpretation of these principles is up to the constitutional Court and not to the University of al-Azhar or Koranic schools close to Islamist movements. This is confirmed by sources of the Coptic Patriarchate, consulted by Fides Agency.
In the final vote on Saturday, November 30th, the Constituent Assembly - composed of 50 representatives of the Egyptian people - also approved Article 11, which binds the State to ensure full equality of civil, political and economic rights between men and women, and adequate parliamentary representation to the female sex.
During a press conference held on the afternoon of Saturday, November 30th , the President of the Constituent Assembly, Amr Moussa, confirmed that the constitutional draft text approved contains 247 articles.
The proposed constitution bans religious Parties and guarantees Christians and Jews freedom of worship and the building of places of worship. The new constitution will be submitted to a popular referendum in the second half of January 2014. The article which is arousing popular protests due to its ambiguous wording – is the one which guarantees armed Forces the opportunity to submit to military courts all those who are alleged of having attacked posts and territories controlled by the army. (GV) Agenzia Fides 02/12/2013)
- 2014-07-24 - AFRICA/EGYPT – There is no Christian in St. Anthony Abate’s hometown
- 2014-07-17 - A bill to ensure and regulate the construction of churches is being studied
- 2014-07-16 - Patriarch Tawadros II: the Bishops do not express support for candidates or political parties in elections
- 2014-07-08 - Sisi
- 2014-06-20 - Activist for Human Rights calls for the dissolution of the Salafist Party
- 2014-06-09 - New President al-Sisi enhances the role of the Coptic Church in the past and present of the nation
- 2014-05-30 - Sisi triumphs in presidential elections; Copt Catholic Bishop of Guizeh contests voices on low turnout
- 2014-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros : let us all go and vote to elect the new President
- 2014-05-16 - Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate: priests must not make electoral propaganda
- 2014-05-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II writes to Pope Francis: let us unify the dates for the Easter celebration