AFRICA/EGYPT - The draft constitution approved. The Sharia law recognized as a "source of law". Religious Parties banned
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - In the preamble already approved by consensus regarding the draft of the new Egyptian Constitution, "the principles of Sharia (Islamic law) which are the pre-eminent source of law" have been confirmed, but what is established is that the last word on the interpretation of these principles is up to the constitutional Court and not to the University of al-Azhar or Koranic schools close to Islamist movements. This is confirmed by sources of the Coptic Patriarchate, consulted by Fides Agency.
In the final vote on Saturday, November 30th, the Constituent Assembly - composed of 50 representatives of the Egyptian people - also approved Article 11, which binds the State to ensure full equality of civil, political and economic rights between men and women, and adequate parliamentary representation to the female sex.
During a press conference held on the afternoon of Saturday, November 30th , the President of the Constituent Assembly, Amr Moussa, confirmed that the constitutional draft text approved contains 247 articles.
The proposed constitution bans religious Parties and guarantees Christians and Jews freedom of worship and the building of places of worship. The new constitution will be submitted to a popular referendum in the second half of January 2014. The article which is arousing popular protests due to its ambiguous wording – is the one which guarantees armed Forces the opportunity to submit to military courts all those who are alleged of having attacked posts and territories controlled by the army. (GV) Agenzia Fides 02/12/2013)
- 2015-11-20 - The Coptic Orthodox Church inaugurates a TV channel for children
- 2015-11-19 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: participate in the elections and give your support to honest and competent candidates
- 2015-11-13 - The Imam of al-Azhar condemns the attack on a Coptic evangelical church
- 2015-11-12 - The Coptic Church: no to unauthorized collection of money for the flooded monasteries
- 2015-11-07 - Historical Coptic monasteries damaged by floods
- 2015-11-06 - The Middle East Council of Churches: unify the date for the Easter celebrations
- 2015-10-22 - AFRICA/EGYPT –Election: good results for Coptic candidates, Salafi party crash
- 2015-10-19 - Elections: the high turnout of Christians
- 2015-10-09 - Coptic Organizations call on President al-Sisi to reopen the investigation into the massacre of Maspero
- 2015-10-06 - Sectarian clashes in Samalut, the "city of martyrs": ten Copts wounded