AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - In November, 4 death sentences were carried out despite appeals for a moratorium on capital punishment
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - In the month of November 4 death sentences were carried out in South Sudan says the Catholic Radio Network, which reports a statement from the South Sudan Law Society.
According to the humanitarian south Sudanese group, two inmates convicted of murder were hanged in Juba on November 12 and two others were executed in Wau on November 18. The press release states that it was not possible to obtain the names of the condemned nor details about the crimes they committed. It is not even clear, says the Law Society, if the four convicted had legal assistance and other rights provided by the Constitution.
The Law Society states that since independence (July 9, 2011) to date 14 death sentences have been carried out in South Sudan, while about 200 people are detained on death row in different jails in the Country.
On the occasion of the second anniversary of the independence of South Sudan a number of civil society groups had launched an appeal for the abolition of the death penalty and to commute all death sentences in other forms of punishment. The appeal was also signed by the Comboni missionaries (see Fides 09/07/2013). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/11/2013)
- 2015-08-28 - The President orders the cease-fire, but expresses strong reservations on the peace agreement
- 2015-08-27 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – No celebration was held in Juba for the signing of the peace agreement, "too many deaths for us to rejoice"
- 2015-08-26 - Towards the signing of the peace agreement to end the conflict described by the UN as "a threat to the peace of the entire region"
- 2015-08-11 - The peace process led by the Council of Churches begins
- 2015-08-07 - There are few hopes that the peace agreement will be signed by 17 August
- 2015-08-05 - The government of Juba rejects IGAD's peace plan, criticized by many
- 2015-08-03 - “Peace now” women march through the streets of Juba
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – School instruction during emergency situations a basic humanitarian necessity
- 2015-07-17 - "We must start again from scratch", says the Bishop Emeritus of Juba
- 2015-07-10 - New peace initiative announced by the Church on the anniversary of independence