AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - In November, 4 death sentences were carried out despite appeals for a moratorium on capital punishment
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - In the month of November 4 death sentences were carried out in South Sudan says the Catholic Radio Network, which reports a statement from the South Sudan Law Society.
According to the humanitarian south Sudanese group, two inmates convicted of murder were hanged in Juba on November 12 and two others were executed in Wau on November 18. The press release states that it was not possible to obtain the names of the condemned nor details about the crimes they committed. It is not even clear, says the Law Society, if the four convicted had legal assistance and other rights provided by the Constitution.
The Law Society states that since independence (July 9, 2011) to date 14 death sentences have been carried out in South Sudan, while about 200 people are detained on death row in different jails in the Country.
On the occasion of the second anniversary of the independence of South Sudan a number of civil society groups had launched an appeal for the abolition of the death penalty and to commute all death sentences in other forms of punishment. The appeal was also signed by the Comboni missionaries (see Fides 09/07/2013). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/11/2013)
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda
- 2014-09-19 - South Sudan's Bakhita Radio can resume broadcasts, but without political issues
- 2014-09-17 - Malakal destroyed by the war - testimony of a nun
- 2014-09-03 - “Let us work together for peace”: Christian leaders urge traditional chiefs