AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - In November, 4 death sentences were carried out despite appeals for a moratorium on capital punishment
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - In the month of November 4 death sentences were carried out in South Sudan says the Catholic Radio Network, which reports a statement from the South Sudan Law Society.
According to the humanitarian south Sudanese group, two inmates convicted of murder were hanged in Juba on November 12 and two others were executed in Wau on November 18. The press release states that it was not possible to obtain the names of the condemned nor details about the crimes they committed. It is not even clear, says the Law Society, if the four convicted had legal assistance and other rights provided by the Constitution.
The Law Society states that since independence (July 9, 2011) to date 14 death sentences have been carried out in South Sudan, while about 200 people are detained on death row in different jails in the Country.
On the occasion of the second anniversary of the independence of South Sudan a number of civil society groups had launched an appeal for the abolition of the death penalty and to commute all death sentences in other forms of punishment. The appeal was also signed by the Comboni missionaries (see Fides 09/07/2013). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/11/2013)
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia
- 2014-05-23 - 132 children abducted by the LRA have been released
- 2014-05-14 - Appeal of the World Council of Churches: "With the agreement signed, the real work starts now"
- 2014-05-05 - "Untold suffering of more than five thousand Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs" denounces the Assistant Parish Priest in Abyei
- 2014-04-30 - Child soldiers leave school to "avenge" their parents' death