AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - In November, 4 death sentences were carried out despite appeals for a moratorium on capital punishment
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - In the month of November 4 death sentences were carried out in South Sudan says the Catholic Radio Network, which reports a statement from the South Sudan Law Society.
According to the humanitarian south Sudanese group, two inmates convicted of murder were hanged in Juba on November 12 and two others were executed in Wau on November 18. The press release states that it was not possible to obtain the names of the condemned nor details about the crimes they committed. It is not even clear, says the Law Society, if the four convicted had legal assistance and other rights provided by the Constitution.
The Law Society states that since independence (July 9, 2011) to date 14 death sentences have been carried out in South Sudan, while about 200 people are detained on death row in different jails in the Country.
On the occasion of the second anniversary of the independence of South Sudan a number of civil society groups had launched an appeal for the abolition of the death penalty and to commute all death sentences in other forms of punishment. The appeal was also signed by the Comboni missionaries (see Fides 09/07/2013). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/11/2013)
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau
- 2015-03-11 - The suffering of the population will increase with the war; the Church is making huge efforts
- 2015-03-10 - The civil war is likely to resume after the failure of Negotiations
- 2015-02-26 - A simple ambulance service can save the lives of hundreds of mothers and children
- 2015-02-19 - Elections postponed: a contribution towards peace
- 2015-02-10 - The UN: over 2.5 million people face food emergency because of the civil war
- 2015-02-04 - Year of Consecrated Life: Religious committed to healing the wounds of the Civil War
- 2015-01-30 - The Bishops denounce: "Land grabbing threatens the stability of the Country"
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War