AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - In November, 4 death sentences were carried out despite appeals for a moratorium on capital punishment
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - In the month of November 4 death sentences were carried out in South Sudan says the Catholic Radio Network, which reports a statement from the South Sudan Law Society.
According to the humanitarian south Sudanese group, two inmates convicted of murder were hanged in Juba on November 12 and two others were executed in Wau on November 18. The press release states that it was not possible to obtain the names of the condemned nor details about the crimes they committed. It is not even clear, says the Law Society, if the four convicted had legal assistance and other rights provided by the Constitution.
The Law Society states that since independence (July 9, 2011) to date 14 death sentences have been carried out in South Sudan, while about 200 people are detained on death row in different jails in the Country.
On the occasion of the second anniversary of the independence of South Sudan a number of civil society groups had launched an appeal for the abolition of the death penalty and to commute all death sentences in other forms of punishment. The appeal was also signed by the Comboni missionaries (see Fides 09/07/2013). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/11/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Christian leaders’ appeal: "Stop the violence, this is not the future for which the people of the Country voted"
- 2014-03-11 - Inauguration of the pediatric wing of the hospital in Yirol
- 2014-03-07 - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 - New round of peace talks in South Sudan