AMERICA/VENEZUELA - CAM 4: The American Church in permanent mission to bear witness to life
Maracaibo (Agenzia Fides) – On the third day, the Fourth American Missionary Congress (CAM 4) and Ninth Latin American Missionary Congress (COMLA 9) focused on the urgency of mission in the context of the new evangelization and the mission ad Gentes. The debate also highlighted another important issue: the need for an "American Church" in a permanent state of mission.
According to information sent to Fides Agency, Father Raul Biord, Provincial Vicar of the Salesians in Venezuela, developed these themes in his speech and insisted on the idea that "the Church does not have a mission, it is the mission that a church has". The Salesian priest explained that "the Church is a sacrament or instrument for that mission. There is a Church because there is a mission, not vice versa. To participate in mission means participating in the dynamic of God's love towards people, because he is the source of love". Fr. Biord explained that "the Church is sent on a mission, because God is himself a God who sends. The history of salvation is a continuous chain of missions".
The other speaker, the Colombian theologian Consuelo Vélez, pointed out that before a Church in a permanent state of mission "witnessing is fundamental" because "we have to proclaim what has been experienced, preach what one lives ... must be a witness of love for the poor, this is the commitment with reality".
Yesterday afternoon several forums were held. The Congress is being attended by more than 3000 people from 24 countries. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/11/2013)
- 2014-02-28 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Pray for Venezuela and discern events in the light of the Word of God
- 2014-02-27 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Church at National Conference for Peace: find ways and means for dialogue to resolve the difficulties of Venezuela
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - “A process of reconciliation is necessary”, Bishops call dialogue to discover the truth
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Christians in prayer to accompany imminent National Peace Conference
- 2014-02-21 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa to the government: "dialogue that recognizes the country's problems "
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Funeral of the two Salesians killed: more than 50 years at the service of Venezuela
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Two Salesians killed and two others injured during a robbery, insecurity in the country is worrying
- 2014-02-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Bishop of Maracay: "One has the right to protest, but violence has to stop"
- 2014-02-14 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "The government must listen to the people who protest" the voice of the Church after 3 deaths during demonstrations
- 2014-01-31 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - According to the report of an NGO, more than 500 deaths in prisons in 2013