AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The National Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB) issued a statement titled "Indigenous Peoples and farmers" in which it expresses participation regarding their "anguish" for the failure to solve "land conflicts". According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the document published on 27 November in Brasilia, said: "The moment is critical and requires urgent and effective action by the Brazilian government in defense of life, justice and peace among indigenous people and farmers in the country".
The CNBB shares "the anguish of indigenous peoples and farmers with regards to the lack of response from the federal government and the respective state governments, to resolve land conflicts in a definitive way, which increases every day". According to the Brazilian Bishops, there are two solutions to this situation: "the historical and constitutional recognition of the rights of indigenous peoples over their traditional lands, and the recognition of land titles entrusted in good faith".
The Bishops claim the position of the federal government and state governments "in preventing and delaying the solution of these problems" "unacceptable", because "uncertainty, anxiety and the risk of conflict between indigenous people and farmers increases".
"The Church and its ministers are committed to evangelization and the pastoral needs of indigenous farmers. This commitment is at the service of life", reads the statement, signed by the President, Vice President and Secretary General of the CNBB, respectively Card. Raymundo Damasceno Assis, Archbishop José Belisario da Silva and Bishop Leonardo Ulrich Steiner. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/11/2013)
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins
- 2014-07-18 - The first "National Catholic Congress online" for those working in the field of evangelization
- 2014-07-16 - A photo exhibition on the 33 years of fighting for the rights of indigenous peoples arrives in Manaus
- 2014-07-04 - "Immediate answers concerning the issue of immigrants are urgently needed"
- 2014-06-30 - Exploitation of children: from the World Cup to the Winter Olympics 2016
- 2014-06-24 - "Mission to relieve" the missionary campaign against human trafficking in persons
- 2014-06-23 - The tragedy of child prostitution behind the glitz of the World Cup
- 2014-06-17 - Social inclusion and missionary work, the commitment of the Church in Brazil for Haiti continues
- 2014-06-12 - The World Cup begins with a "Red Card to Child Labour"
- 2014-06-11 - "The only goal that matters is the demarcation of our lands", say the indigenous