AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The National Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB) issued a statement titled "Indigenous Peoples and farmers" in which it expresses participation regarding their "anguish" for the failure to solve "land conflicts". According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the document published on 27 November in Brasilia, said: "The moment is critical and requires urgent and effective action by the Brazilian government in defense of life, justice and peace among indigenous people and farmers in the country".
The CNBB shares "the anguish of indigenous peoples and farmers with regards to the lack of response from the federal government and the respective state governments, to resolve land conflicts in a definitive way, which increases every day". According to the Brazilian Bishops, there are two solutions to this situation: "the historical and constitutional recognition of the rights of indigenous peoples over their traditional lands, and the recognition of land titles entrusted in good faith".
The Bishops claim the position of the federal government and state governments "in preventing and delaying the solution of these problems" "unacceptable", because "uncertainty, anxiety and the risk of conflict between indigenous people and farmers increases".
"The Church and its ministers are committed to evangelization and the pastoral needs of indigenous farmers. This commitment is at the service of life", reads the statement, signed by the President, Vice President and Secretary General of the CNBB, respectively Card. Raymundo Damasceno Assis, Archbishop José Belisario da Silva and Bishop Leonardo Ulrich Steiner. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/11/2013)
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Franciscan Sister murdered
- 2015-07-23 - Mission Campaign 2015: material ready
- 2015-07-21 - The water crisis threatens millions of people
- 2015-07-20 - A video documents the first missionary experience of young people in the Amazon
- 2015-07-01 - The indifference of the state in the face of a situation of injustice denounced by the Bishop of Dourados
- 2015-06-25 - More than 20,000 people every week prepare themselves for the feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- 2015-06-23 - Report of CIMI: suicide and infant mortality are decimating the indigenous population
- 2015-06-16 - On the border between Peru and Bolivia, crossroads of migrants
- 2015-06-16 - "No to prejudice, yes to rights and participation": week of Migrants
- 2015-06-10 - From Haiti to Brazil in the hands of human traffickers, with the hope of a better future