AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The National Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB) issued a statement titled "Indigenous Peoples and farmers" in which it expresses participation regarding their "anguish" for the failure to solve "land conflicts". According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the document published on 27 November in Brasilia, said: "The moment is critical and requires urgent and effective action by the Brazilian government in defense of life, justice and peace among indigenous people and farmers in the country".
The CNBB shares "the anguish of indigenous peoples and farmers with regards to the lack of response from the federal government and the respective state governments, to resolve land conflicts in a definitive way, which increases every day". According to the Brazilian Bishops, there are two solutions to this situation: "the historical and constitutional recognition of the rights of indigenous peoples over their traditional lands, and the recognition of land titles entrusted in good faith".
The Bishops claim the position of the federal government and state governments "in preventing and delaying the solution of these problems" "unacceptable", because "uncertainty, anxiety and the risk of conflict between indigenous people and farmers increases".
"The Church and its ministers are committed to evangelization and the pastoral needs of indigenous farmers. This commitment is at the service of life", reads the statement, signed by the President, Vice President and Secretary General of the CNBB, respectively Card. Raymundo Damasceno Assis, Archbishop José Belisario da Silva and Bishop Leonardo Ulrich Steiner. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/11/2013)
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - " Fraternity and human trafficking", a constant struggle against this scourge
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni: "The announcement ad gentes is part of the responsibility that all the particular Churches have toward Christ"
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni to Brazilian Bishops: The II Vatican Council and the missionary dimension of the Church
- 2014-02-03 AMERICA/BRAZIL - 50 years since the II Vatican Council: missionary commitment, consecrated life, episcopal ministry of Bishops
- 2014-01-23 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Prisons do not re-educate and are in crisis: intervention of the Archbishop of Rio
- 2013-11-29 AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
- 2013-11-20 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life" campaign against human trafficking in view of the World Cup
- 2013-11-09 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The Bishops: Catholic communities in the front line against human trafficking
- 2013-10-19 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Orionines at the Assembly in Aparecida, 100 years after the arrival of the first missionaries in Brazil