AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The National Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB) issued a statement titled "Indigenous Peoples and farmers" in which it expresses participation regarding their "anguish" for the failure to solve "land conflicts". According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the document published on 27 November in Brasilia, said: "The moment is critical and requires urgent and effective action by the Brazilian government in defense of life, justice and peace among indigenous people and farmers in the country".
The CNBB shares "the anguish of indigenous peoples and farmers with regards to the lack of response from the federal government and the respective state governments, to resolve land conflicts in a definitive way, which increases every day". According to the Brazilian Bishops, there are two solutions to this situation: "the historical and constitutional recognition of the rights of indigenous peoples over their traditional lands, and the recognition of land titles entrusted in good faith".
The Bishops claim the position of the federal government and state governments "in preventing and delaying the solution of these problems" "unacceptable", because "uncertainty, anxiety and the risk of conflict between indigenous people and farmers increases".
"The Church and its ministers are committed to evangelization and the pastoral needs of indigenous farmers. This commitment is at the service of life", reads the statement, signed by the President, Vice President and Secretary General of the CNBB, respectively Card. Raymundo Damasceno Assis, Archbishop José Belisario da Silva and Bishop Leonardo Ulrich Steiner. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/11/2013)
- 2015-11-25 - National school feeding program to improve the living conditions of children and farmers
- 2015-11-23 - The presence of foreign missionaries enriches the Church in Brazil
- 2015-11-13 - Two more religious missionary nuns sent to Haiti: they will help children, youth and families
- 2015-10-30 - Bishops' message: Crisis in the country worsens, dialogue and democracy are needed
- 2015-10-20 - "Scalabrinian Mission": opening of a new reception center for refugees in Sao Paulo
- 2015-10-14 - "The wealth of Brazil should be better distributed" asks Mgr. Nicioli
- 2015-10-10 - The Church: it is urgent to save abandoned children and adolescents who have disappeared
- 2015-09-16 - "How many people have to die before they have justice?", since 1983 at least 50 indigenous leaders have been killed
- 2015-09-15 - Preparation for World Mission Sunday 2015 begins
- 2015-09-14 - Early Marriages: still half a million young newlyweds between 15 to 17 years of age