AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The National Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB) issued a statement titled "Indigenous Peoples and farmers" in which it expresses participation regarding their "anguish" for the failure to solve "land conflicts". According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the document published on 27 November in Brasilia, said: "The moment is critical and requires urgent and effective action by the Brazilian government in defense of life, justice and peace among indigenous people and farmers in the country".
The CNBB shares "the anguish of indigenous peoples and farmers with regards to the lack of response from the federal government and the respective state governments, to resolve land conflicts in a definitive way, which increases every day". According to the Brazilian Bishops, there are two solutions to this situation: "the historical and constitutional recognition of the rights of indigenous peoples over their traditional lands, and the recognition of land titles entrusted in good faith".
The Bishops claim the position of the federal government and state governments "in preventing and delaying the solution of these problems" "unacceptable", because "uncertainty, anxiety and the risk of conflict between indigenous people and farmers increases".
"The Church and its ministers are committed to evangelization and the pastoral needs of indigenous farmers. This commitment is at the service of life", reads the statement, signed by the President, Vice President and Secretary General of the CNBB, respectively Card. Raymundo Damasceno Assis, Archbishop José Belisario da Silva and Bishop Leonardo Ulrich Steiner. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/11/2013)
- 2015-03-18 - Report on conflicts over water in Brazil: 42 000 families involved
- 2015-03-05 - A march for Women's Day in Brasilia:"Religions for women's rights"
- 2015-02-25 - Mobilization for political Reform and transparent elections continues
- 2015-02-18 - Fraternity Campaign 2015 starts today, theme "Brotherhood: Church and Society "
- 2015-02-16 - Ten years ago the assassination of Sr Dorothy Stang, a seed which is bearing copious fruit
- 2015-02-06 - Missionary organizations at work in 2015: Permanent formation and suburbs
- 2015-01-28 - Missionaries study "concentration and manipulation of the media"
- 2015-01-12 - Recalling the earthquake in Haiti with the testimony of Zilda Arns
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues