AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The National Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB) issued a statement titled "Indigenous Peoples and farmers" in which it expresses participation regarding their "anguish" for the failure to solve "land conflicts". According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the document published on 27 November in Brasilia, said: "The moment is critical and requires urgent and effective action by the Brazilian government in defense of life, justice and peace among indigenous people and farmers in the country".
The CNBB shares "the anguish of indigenous peoples and farmers with regards to the lack of response from the federal government and the respective state governments, to resolve land conflicts in a definitive way, which increases every day". According to the Brazilian Bishops, there are two solutions to this situation: "the historical and constitutional recognition of the rights of indigenous peoples over their traditional lands, and the recognition of land titles entrusted in good faith".
The Bishops claim the position of the federal government and state governments "in preventing and delaying the solution of these problems" "unacceptable", because "uncertainty, anxiety and the risk of conflict between indigenous people and farmers increases".
"The Church and its ministers are committed to evangelization and the pastoral needs of indigenous farmers. This commitment is at the service of life", reads the statement, signed by the President, Vice President and Secretary General of the CNBB, respectively Card. Raymundo Damasceno Assis, Archbishop José Belisario da Silva and Bishop Leonardo Ulrich Steiner. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/11/2013)
- 2015-01-12 - Recalling the earthquake in Haiti with the testimony of Zilda Arns
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues
- 2014-11-24 - There are now 500 thousand signatures which have been collected for the Democratic Political Reform
- 2014-11-20 - Support of the Church with regards to the formation of political consciousness for democratic reform
- 2014-10-27 - Beatification of the co-founder of the Scalabrinians: "May the whole Church be missionary of truth, mother Assunta did it"
- 2014-10-27 - Dilma Rousseff re-elected President with a narrow margin: she will have to face recession, corruption and discontent
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate