AMERICA/HAITI – Haitians escape, they must avoid the violence on behalf of neighbors
Jimani (Agenzia Fides) - The humanitarian situation of Haitians seeking refuge on the border with the Dominican Republic has worsened in recent days. The "Support Group for Returnees and Refugees" (SGRR) reports that, after the killing of two Dominican nationals carried out by some Haitian gangsters, the persecution of refugees has intensified. Between 23 and 24 November, 347 Haitians were repatriated from the border between Jimani and Malpasse, including 107 children, one of whom just three years of age.
According to SGRR, these people had to seek the help of the police in order to escape the fury of the Dominicans, seeking revenge for the death of their fellow citizens, and many of them were sent back across the border.
In the note sent to Fides, SGRR informed of the death of four Haitians from Grand- Bois/Cornillon.
The people of Haiti continue to flee the country. Only two days ago the world learned of the tragedy in which thirty Haitian migrants died off the coast of Staniel Cay, in the archipelago of the Bahamas, in the sinking of a sailing vessel on which there were over one hundred and thirty people who were trying to reach the United States. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2013)
- 2014-03-17 - Elections on October 26, the President thanks the Church for the mediation
- 2014-03-14 - Dialogue to conclude the agreement in the country has started again
- 2014-03-06 - Political dialogue resumes, with the mediation of Cardinal Langlois
- 2014-02-25 - “A presence in the eyes of the world for our small country”: newly created Cardinal Langlois speaks with Fides
- 2014-02-18 - The signing of the agreement to overcome the political crisis in Haiti has been postponed
- 2014-01-13 - Four years after the disaster most of the population live in unacceptable poverty
- 2014-01-10 - AMERICA/HAITI – Children for a new Haiti, four years after the earthquake
- 2013-12-16 - "Just like the Holy Family, many Haitian families continue to flee risking their lives": the Bishops' message
- 2013-11-28 - AMERICA/HAITI – Haitians escape, they must avoid the violence on behalf of neighbors
- 2013-11-14 - More than 170 murders and violence continues, we need a plan for disarmament