AMERICA/HAITI – Haitians escape, they must avoid the violence on behalf of neighbors
Jimani (Agenzia Fides) - The humanitarian situation of Haitians seeking refuge on the border with the Dominican Republic has worsened in recent days. The "Support Group for Returnees and Refugees" (SGRR) reports that, after the killing of two Dominican nationals carried out by some Haitian gangsters, the persecution of refugees has intensified. Between 23 and 24 November, 347 Haitians were repatriated from the border between Jimani and Malpasse, including 107 children, one of whom just three years of age.
According to SGRR, these people had to seek the help of the police in order to escape the fury of the Dominicans, seeking revenge for the death of their fellow citizens, and many of them were sent back across the border.
In the note sent to Fides, SGRR informed of the death of four Haitians from Grand- Bois/Cornillon.
The people of Haiti continue to flee the country. Only two days ago the world learned of the tragedy in which thirty Haitian migrants died off the coast of Staniel Cay, in the archipelago of the Bahamas, in the sinking of a sailing vessel on which there were over one hundred and thirty people who were trying to reach the United States. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2013)
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The chikungunya virus attacks the poor, even the Church is committed to keeping the disease under control
- 2014-06-04 - Project "House built, hope fulfilled – Vita Ville" for many families, victims of the earthquake
- 2014-05-28 - Economic support for Haitian mothers who live in extreme poverty
- 2014-05-16 - Three years of Martelly’s presidency, among acclaim and requests for resignation
- 2014-05-16 - A center to transform cassava into flour and cope with food insecurity
- 2014-05-08 - Brotherhood and solidarity respond to those who promote hatred between Haitians and Dominicans
- 2014-04-29 - International organizations committed to solving the new political crisis
- 2014-03-17 - Elections on October 26, the President thanks the Church for the mediation
- 2014-03-14 - Dialogue to conclude the agreement in the country has started again