AMERICA/HAITI – Haitians escape, they must avoid the violence on behalf of neighbors
Jimani (Agenzia Fides) - The humanitarian situation of Haitians seeking refuge on the border with the Dominican Republic has worsened in recent days. The "Support Group for Returnees and Refugees" (SGRR) reports that, after the killing of two Dominican nationals carried out by some Haitian gangsters, the persecution of refugees has intensified. Between 23 and 24 November, 347 Haitians were repatriated from the border between Jimani and Malpasse, including 107 children, one of whom just three years of age.
According to SGRR, these people had to seek the help of the police in order to escape the fury of the Dominicans, seeking revenge for the death of their fellow citizens, and many of them were sent back across the border.
In the note sent to Fides, SGRR informed of the death of four Haitians from Grand- Bois/Cornillon.
The people of Haiti continue to flee the country. Only two days ago the world learned of the tragedy in which thirty Haitian migrants died off the coast of Staniel Cay, in the archipelago of the Bahamas, in the sinking of a sailing vessel on which there were over one hundred and thirty people who were trying to reach the United States. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2013)
AMERICA/HAITI – HAITIANS ESCAPE, THEY MUST AVOID THE VIOLENCE ON BEHALF OF NEIGHBORS
- 2015-01-19 - New cabinet of Haiti to be sworn in today
- 2015-01-14 - AMERICA/HAITI – Parliament dissolved, demonstrations against President increase
- 2015-01-12 - Agreement between the President and opposition: elections in 2015
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/HAITI – 5 years after the earthquake the Catholic Church is helping Haiti to recover
- 2014-12-09 - Foyer Bethlehem: “giving persons with disabilities what nature and human indifference have denied them”
- 2014-12-01 - A Commission to save the country from the crisis
- 2014-11-27 - The Church ready to intervene to ensure the country's political future
- 2014-10-16 - Haiti will ask for an extension to the Dominican Republic to regulate the "sans papiers"
- 2014-09-23 - Social movements denounce the failure of the UN Mission, protests in the streets
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country