AFRICA/ANGOLA - Tensions in Angola after the killing of an opponent; the Bishops: "one must follow the path of peace"
Luanda (Agenzia Fides) – The Bishops of Angola raise their voice after the killing of a protester of the Casa-Ce opposition party which took place on Saturday, November 23 in Luanda and the repression of a demonstration organized by UNITA, the historic opposition party to the MPLA, the party in power since 1975.
On Sunday, November 24, during the closing ceremony of the Year of Faith in the Diocese of Cabinda, Mgr. Filomeno do Nascimento Vieira Dias, Bishop of Cabinda condemned the repression carried out against demonstrators. The Bishop believes that what happened in many cities of Angola is serious.
Even Mgr. António Jaka, Bishop of Caxito, in his homily for the closing of the Year of Faith in the parish of St. John the Baptist in Cacuaco, said that democracy and peace in Angola are still fragile.
Bishop António Jaka hopes for the construction of a new world and a new Angola through the spirit of forgiveness and pointed out that the duty of politicians is to try all paths for peace and reconciliation. "We Christians are the first to have the duty to pray and to be instruments of peace" he added.
Mgr. António Jaka finally launched an appeal to the media not to open the wounds of war that are still open. "Verbal violence paves the way for violent confrontation, war and hatred. We must learn the ways of peace from Christ", he concluded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2013)
- 2015-11-12 - "Cleaning" operation for Independence Day
- 2015-11-11 - The Bishops: "Reconciliation and national unity is a task that never ends"
- 2015-10-26 - AFRICA/ANGOLA – Bishops put reconciliation at the centre of celebrations to mark 40 years of independence
- 2015-09-02 - Fighting illegal financial flows to find resources for the continent's development
- 2015-03-24 - AFRICA/ANGOLA – Angola, a nation of contradictions
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/ANGOLA – Archbishop of Luanda appointed
- 2014-02-13 - The challenges of ethics for Catholic leaders
- 2013-11-28 - Tensions in Angola after the killing of an opponent; the Bishops: "one must follow the path of peace"
- 2013-11-19 - A senior Angolan wanted by Brazil for human trafficking
- 2013-11-07 - "Abortion is a threat to the very existence of the nation", the Bishops said