AFRICA/ANGOLA - Tensions in Angola after the killing of an opponent; the Bishops: "one must follow the path of peace"
Luanda (Agenzia Fides) – The Bishops of Angola raise their voice after the killing of a protester of the Casa-Ce opposition party which took place on Saturday, November 23 in Luanda and the repression of a demonstration organized by UNITA, the historic opposition party to the MPLA, the party in power since 1975.
On Sunday, November 24, during the closing ceremony of the Year of Faith in the Diocese of Cabinda, Mgr. Filomeno do Nascimento Vieira Dias, Bishop of Cabinda condemned the repression carried out against demonstrators. The Bishop believes that what happened in many cities of Angola is serious.
Even Mgr. António Jaka, Bishop of Caxito, in his homily for the closing of the Year of Faith in the parish of St. John the Baptist in Cacuaco, said that democracy and peace in Angola are still fragile.
Bishop António Jaka hopes for the construction of a new world and a new Angola through the spirit of forgiveness and pointed out that the duty of politicians is to try all paths for peace and reconciliation. "We Christians are the first to have the duty to pray and to be instruments of peace" he added.
Mgr. António Jaka finally launched an appeal to the media not to open the wounds of war that are still open. "Verbal violence paves the way for violent confrontation, war and hatred. We must learn the ways of peace from Christ", he concluded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2013)
- 2014-02-13 AFRICA/ANGOLA - The challenges of ethics for Catholic leaders
- 2013-11-28 AFRICA/ANGOLA - Tensions in Angola after the killing of an opponent; the Bishops: "one must follow the path of peace"
- 2013-11-19 AFRICA/ANGOLA - A senior Angolan wanted by Brazil for human trafficking
- 2013-11-07 AFRICA/ANGOLA - "Abortion is a threat to the very existence of the nation", the Bishops said
- 2013-08-27 AFRICA/ANGOLA - Increase sea fishing to contibuire the fight against poverty
- 2013-08-24 AFRICA/ANGOLA - Luanda, the most expensive city in the world where many do not have anything and just few have everything
- 2013-06-06 AFRICA/ANGOLA - More than 52,000 Congolese expelled from Angola in 3 weeks; an NGO reports cases of sexual violence
- 2013-03-21 AFRICA/ANGOLA - The Bishops criticize the words of the leader of UNITA
- 2013-01-26 AFRICA/ANGOLA - 2013 State budget: social spending increases but those for the defense are still remain very high
- 2012-11-12 AFRICA/ANGOLA - A new home for street children