AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Joy and music for the great feast of the mission: CAM 4 has begun
Maracaibo (Agenzia Fides) - With much joy and missionary spirit, the Fourth American Missionary Congress (CAM 4) and the Ninth Latin American Missionary Congress (COMLA 9) began last night November 26th. The Mass of inauguration was held in the square of the Basilica of Our Lady of Chiquinquirá, presided over by Cardinal Fernando Filoni, Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, Special Envoy of the Holy Father.
According to Fides sources more than 3,000 missionaries, about 600 priests, 100 Bishops and many faithful from the parishes and communities that surround the city of Maracaibo, before the Eucharist welcomed the relics of St. Therese of Lisieux, Patroness of the Missions, that arrived in the Venezuelan territory on October 28 for the celebration of this great event.
The Eucharist was animated by the choir Interparroquial of the Archdiocese of Maracaibo, wih local liturgical hymns and other songs known universally as "Fisherman of Men" and "Missionary Alma", which caused great excitement and participation among everyone.
After communion His Exc. Mgr. Diego Padron, President of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference (CEV), and some politicians in the region intervened.
After Mass, the musical group "The Chiquinquireños" sang several songs to the sound of Cuatro, drums, maracas and Furros, to honor Our Lady of Chiquinquirá, Mother of God and Patroness of the region, while the sky was lit by hundreds of fireworks. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/112013)
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions