AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Joy and music for the great feast of the mission: CAM 4 has begun
Maracaibo (Agenzia Fides) - With much joy and missionary spirit, the Fourth American Missionary Congress (CAM 4) and the Ninth Latin American Missionary Congress (COMLA 9) began last night November 26th. The Mass of inauguration was held in the square of the Basilica of Our Lady of Chiquinquirá, presided over by Cardinal Fernando Filoni, Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, Special Envoy of the Holy Father.
According to Fides sources more than 3,000 missionaries, about 600 priests, 100 Bishops and many faithful from the parishes and communities that surround the city of Maracaibo, before the Eucharist welcomed the relics of St. Therese of Lisieux, Patroness of the Missions, that arrived in the Venezuelan territory on October 28 for the celebration of this great event.
The Eucharist was animated by the choir Interparroquial of the Archdiocese of Maracaibo, wih local liturgical hymns and other songs known universally as "Fisherman of Men" and "Missionary Alma", which caused great excitement and participation among everyone.
After communion His Exc. Mgr. Diego Padron, President of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference (CEV), and some politicians in the region intervened.
After Mass, the musical group "The Chiquinquireños" sang several songs to the sound of Cuatro, drums, maracas and Furros, to honor Our Lady of Chiquinquirá, Mother of God and Patroness of the region, while the sky was lit by hundreds of fireworks. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/112013)
- 2014-09-30 - Violence in the country does not decrease: a military chaplain killed
- 2014-09-27 - "Do not be afraid of peace" Pope Francis’ letter to Venezuela
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Laity meet apostolic Nuncio, a tradition which encourages the unity of the Church
- 2014-08-12 - "Commit to a missionary cooperation", the V National Missionary Congress has concluded
- 2014-08-06 - The V National Missionary Congress begins
- 2014-07-14 - "Give teachers their salaries": church’s appeal in favor of teachers
- 2014-07-12 - "It is impossible to find a solution if you do not listen to the people", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-09 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: defeat pessimism and allow hope to grow
- 2014-06-25 - National holiday marked by demonstrations
- 2014-06-23 - Young people on hunger strike, the situation is still blocked