ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The poor wait outside hospitals because they cannot pay their visits and treatments and very often die
Cebu (Agenzia Fides) - The consequences of the earthquake and Hayan typhoon that hit the Philippine population continues to get worse also because of the poor condition of the various hospitals, including the Hospital of Cebu declared uninhabitable due to the damage reported to some of the main beams of the building. The building was "transferred" to the local barracks of the fire brigade, which reopened a week ago, and can only accommodate emergencies with a capacity of only 100 beds. Another hospital is the provincial one that serves the outlying provinces without health centers or that do not have the necessary facilities. The urban poor are cared for there, but they have to pay and who does not have enough money to pay for a meal cannot afford to go to the hospital. "As often happens, it is the poor who pay the price", says to Fides sister M. Joachim from Cebu. "After the devastation suffered in Leyte, the focus has shifted to the north, leaving Cebu in terms of absolute insecurity, with inadequate facilities to treat the poor, where they are completely ignored". Sister Joachim continues, "I was at the health district with 17 detainees who had to do x-rays. These share cells with tuberculosis patients, whose diagnosis is incomplete, and therefore they are also exposed to TB but they will never have the certainty because they are left on their own.
On the streets of Cebu the mentally ill seem to multiply every day since they are discharged from the hospital very quickly. There are those who die sitting outside the emergency room waiting to be helped because they do not have the money to pay; women sitting by the roadside with a newborn baby in their arms wrapped in dirty rags; elderly people sitting on the sidewalks begging. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2013)
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishops: No to violence in Mindanao, support for the peace process
- 2015-01-20 - Bishops: to put into practice the words of the Pope on the proximity to the poor
- 2015-01-19 - "Year of the poor" and new evangelization: Bishops in assembly after the Pope's visit
- 2015-01-17 - The Pope shows deep compassion for the victims of the Typhoon
- 2015-01-16 - evangelize families: the Pope encourages them to be "living school of the Gospel"
- 2015-01-15 - The Director of the PMS: "The Pope in the Philippines shows us mercy towards the last"
- 2015-01-14 - A missionary, after the bombing in Paris: "Dear Muslim brothers, we mourn with you"
- 2014-12-10 - "Yolanda" survivors now helping "Hagupit" victims
- 2014-12-01 - Compassion but also "no" to corruption: the Church celebrates the Year of the poor
- 2014-11-29 - The Silsilah movement: Advent of solidarity and friendship with Muslims