ASIA/IRAQ - Concrete proposals to preserve the demographic balance in the Christian -majority areas
Erbil (Agenzia Fides) - The first conference sponsored by the "Friends of Bartala" organization to denounce the tampering of the demographic balance in areas where historically indigenous Christian communities in Iraq were concentrated (Erbil, 23-24 November) was concluded with the proposal of a package of concrete demands to address this emergency. In particular, the organization calls for the creation of a Joint Committee which brings together representatives of the Federal Government, of the regional in Kurdistan and local authorities in the province of Nineveh to develop and implement legal and administrative measures designed to encourage the return of native Christian families who left the region, to protect the Christians in the area of Mosul - still exposed to bullying and targeted violence.
It is also asked to fight the creeping forms of discrimination that penalize Christians at a recruitment level in public bodies. The Association "Friends of Bartala" was established in April 2013, with the intent to develop and propose analysis and initiatives to document and combat the long-term processes intended to change the demographic balance in areas traditionally inhabited by Christian communities, known as the Nineveh Plain. In the two-day conference held in Erbil, we provided statistical data on the processes of alteration of the demographic balance which in recent times have seen the percentage of Christians in cities such as Tall Afar and Bartala significantly reduced. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2013)
- 2015-11-20 - Christian and Muslim leaders in Kurdistan celebrate together the "day of tolerance"
- 2015-11-13 - A kindergarten, a language and professional training center for the displaced
- 2015-11-11 - Large participation in the protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-09 - Chaldean Patriarch convenes a protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-05 - Even Christians demonstrate in Erbil against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-10-28 - Parliament rejected the request to change the law on the religious affiliation regarding children
- 2015-10-23 - 400 young Christians take part in Kirkuk Youth Day
- 2015-10-10 - Christians in Erbil protest against corruption, "our neighborhoods are being filled with infamous clubs"
- 2015-10-09 - Two Iraqi sisters go and live among the Christian refugees camped in Erbil
- 2015-10-06 - Iraqi Ministry of Justice: Christian property will be protected