EUROPE/ITALY - Conclusion of the diocesan phase of the beatification process of Luisa Guidotti Mistrali, missionary doctor, killed in Rhodesia
Modena (Agenzia Fides) - In the presence of the Archbishop of Modena - Nonantola, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio Lanfranchi, on November 23 in Modena, in the church of St. Dominic the diocesan phase of the beatification process of Luisa Guidotti Mistrali, a member of the Association Women Doctor Missionaries (AFMM), killed in the then Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) in 1979 was concluded.
Luisa Guidotti Mistrali was born in Parma, May 17, 1932, she moved to Modena with the family at the death of her mother. After high school she enrolled in the Faculty of Medicine. These are the "preconciliar years - writes Luisa - the era in which there was awareness of the role of the laity in the Church". And again: "I wanted to go on a mission as a doctor, to go on forever, being a lay among the laity". According to information gathered by Fides Agency, in 1960 Luisa asked to be part of the Association Women Doctor Missionaries and in August 1966 she went to Rhodesia, with destination Chirundu, Paul VI Hospital. Because of local events she was forced to return to Italy for a few months. She then left for Africa again, her first destination was Regina Coeli Mission hospital and then the All Souls mission.
On July 6, 1979 while she was accompanying a pregnant woman at risk to Nyadiri, Luisa 's car was hit by a barrage of gunfire. She was transported to the government hospital in Mutoko, but unfortunately she was already dead. In 1983, the All Souls hospital was dedicated to Luisa Guidotti Mistrali. On 23 October 1988 at the behest of the Archbishop of Modena, her remains were transferred to the Cathedral of Modena. The process of canonization was opened in 1996. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2013)
- 2015-11-27 - The death of Don Luigi Mazzucato, for over half a century director of Cuamm
- 2015-10-07 - Every minute a child goes blind: "Let's open our Eyes" to avoid this tragedy
- 2015-09-07 - Claretian Missionaries: the new Superior General is Indian
- 2015-07-13 - The "Blessed of the migrants": relevance of mother Marchetti, co-founder of the Scalabrinians
- 2015-05-19 - Do not allow habit and indifference to take place in the face of the ongoing persecution of Christians worldwide
- 2015-04-13 - 150 years after the delivery of the image of Our Lady of Perpetual Help to the Redemptorists
- 2015-03-24 - Permanent Council of Cei: moment of prayer for martyrs, missionaries and lay people
- 2015-03-23 - Day of Missionary Martyrs: 1,062 missionaries killed in the world from 1980 to 2014
- 2015-03-16 - Cardinal Filoni: Africa needs encouragement and solidarity, not migration, or the purchase of weapons and looting
- 2015-01-23 - Scalabrini Missionaries open a community in Syracuse to welcome migrants