EUROPE/ITALY - Conclusion of the diocesan phase of the beatification process of Luisa Guidotti Mistrali, missionary doctor, killed in Rhodesia
Modena (Agenzia Fides) - In the presence of the Archbishop of Modena - Nonantola, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio Lanfranchi, on November 23 in Modena, in the church of St. Dominic the diocesan phase of the beatification process of Luisa Guidotti Mistrali, a member of the Association Women Doctor Missionaries (AFMM), killed in the then Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) in 1979 was concluded.
Luisa Guidotti Mistrali was born in Parma, May 17, 1932, she moved to Modena with the family at the death of her mother. After high school she enrolled in the Faculty of Medicine. These are the "preconciliar years - writes Luisa - the era in which there was awareness of the role of the laity in the Church". And again: "I wanted to go on a mission as a doctor, to go on forever, being a lay among the laity". According to information gathered by Fides Agency, in 1960 Luisa asked to be part of the Association Women Doctor Missionaries and in August 1966 she went to Rhodesia, with destination Chirundu, Paul VI Hospital. Because of local events she was forced to return to Italy for a few months. She then left for Africa again, her first destination was Regina Coeli Mission hospital and then the All Souls mission.
On July 6, 1979 while she was accompanying a pregnant woman at risk to Nyadiri, Luisa 's car was hit by a barrage of gunfire. She was transported to the government hospital in Mutoko, but unfortunately she was already dead. In 1983, the All Souls hospital was dedicated to Luisa Guidotti Mistrali. On 23 October 1988 at the behest of the Archbishop of Modena, her remains were transferred to the Cathedral of Modena. The process of canonization was opened in 1996. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2013)
- 2014-03-07 EUROPE/ITALY - A "Missionary Year": 100 years since the arrival of the first Orionini missionaries in Brazil
- 2014-03-05 EUROPE/ITALY - Father Lazzaro, "discreet martyr of charity"
- 2014-02-03 EUROPE/ITALY - Violence and injustice in the testimonies of the Roman missionaries
- 2013-12-17 EUROPE/ITALY - Immigrant minors: the number of young children has increased tenfold, mostly Syrians fleeing
- 2013-12-03 EUROPE/ITALY – Mgr. Melchior de Marion Brésillac, from India to Africa to carry out "nothing but the will of God"
- 2013-11-26 EUROPE/ITALY - Conclusion of the diocesan phase of the beatification process of Luisa Guidotti Mistrali, missionary doctor, killed in Rhodesia
- 2013-11-22 EUROPE/ITALY - "DROP by DROP": to ensure clean water to children in Rwanda
- 2013-11-21 EUROPE/ITALY - In Rome, a prayer vigil for peace in Syria and the release of the hostages
- 2013-11-20 EUROPE/ITALY - International Children’s day and the World Day of Prayer and Action for Children, and Youth in the World
- 2013-11-15 EUROPE/ITALY - Two centuries after the Reconstitution of the Society, the Jesuits look at the universal mission