EUROPE/ITALY - Conclusion of the diocesan phase of the beatification process of Luisa Guidotti Mistrali, missionary doctor, killed in Rhodesia
Modena (Agenzia Fides) - In the presence of the Archbishop of Modena - Nonantola, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio Lanfranchi, on November 23 in Modena, in the church of St. Dominic the diocesan phase of the beatification process of Luisa Guidotti Mistrali, a member of the Association Women Doctor Missionaries (AFMM), killed in the then Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) in 1979 was concluded.
Luisa Guidotti Mistrali was born in Parma, May 17, 1932, she moved to Modena with the family at the death of her mother. After high school she enrolled in the Faculty of Medicine. These are the "preconciliar years - writes Luisa - the era in which there was awareness of the role of the laity in the Church". And again: "I wanted to go on a mission as a doctor, to go on forever, being a lay among the laity". According to information gathered by Fides Agency, in 1960 Luisa asked to be part of the Association Women Doctor Missionaries and in August 1966 she went to Rhodesia, with destination Chirundu, Paul VI Hospital. Because of local events she was forced to return to Italy for a few months. She then left for Africa again, her first destination was Regina Coeli Mission hospital and then the All Souls mission.
On July 6, 1979 while she was accompanying a pregnant woman at risk to Nyadiri, Luisa 's car was hit by a barrage of gunfire. She was transported to the government hospital in Mutoko, but unfortunately she was already dead. In 1983, the All Souls hospital was dedicated to Luisa Guidotti Mistrali. On 23 October 1988 at the behest of the Archbishop of Modena, her remains were transferred to the Cathedral of Modena. The process of canonization was opened in 1996. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2013)
- 2014-12-10 - EUROPE/ITALY – NGO together for the rights of people with disabilities
- 2014-11-19 - National Missionary Conference: to rekindle the fire of the mission ad gentes
- 2014-11-10 - The number of Nigerian women destined for sexual slavery has tripled
- 2014-10-27 - EUROPE/ITALY – The "challenge of charity" for many "outlawed poor people" of our times
- 2014-10-03 - A year ago, the tragedy in the Mediterranean Sea, memory and heritage
- 2014-09-27 - 145th Salesian Missionary Expedition: to go all over the world to educate and evangelize
- 2014-09-08 - Middle East education emergency: school year at risk for millions of students
- 2014-07-16 - Twelve hours of continuous prayer for peace in the Holy Land
- 2014-07-11 - Bicycles to reach blind children in remote areas of Africa
- 2014-06-28 - A "social audio book" in defense of the Africans with albinism, the last of the last