ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Updates on the interventions to the people affected by the typhoon
Bohol (Agenzia Fides) - According to the latest updates which Fides received by the coordinator of the CTF, Fr. Aris Miranda, MI, aid and food were distributed in several villages of Bohol affected by the typhoon and marginalized for a long time (see Fides 08/11/2013). Both Fr. John Jay and Fr. Aris left from Bohol to head towards Samar and Leyte to organize the recovery phase of the program of the CTF. "Currently – said Fr. Aris - roads, ports and major airports directed to Samar and Leyte from Cebu, Manila and Mindanao have reopened and relief supplies are reaching the affected areas. Even the telecommunications and internet services are slowly restarting. However, it will take at least three months for the full recovery of electricity. In addition, operations and emergency response to the barangay of Basey, Western Samar were carried out with the support of the St. Camillus Hospital in Calbayog City. Through the CTF different distribution networks of NGOs were organized, some of which have provided drugs, others food, transportation, links with special services and technical assistance teams, teachers, medical and psychosocial staff. St. Camillus Hospital is one of the health services at the forefront of providing medical care to the survivors of Samar and Leyte. Last week it was almost full. Some patients were sent to other hospitals in other provinces, far from Samar and Leyte", said the coordinator of the CTF. "In Calbayog there are 4 hospitals and only 1 is fully operational. The Department of Health has provided a generator that will be delivered soon, in the meantime, the provincial council has decided to buy a new one that will hopefully be available in 15 days. The medical and psychosocial interventions for approximately 1,500 families have just been launched in 4 barangay of Basey: a whole day dedicated to the medical clinic, the Eucharist, lunch for 3000 people and distribution of basic necessities that should last for a month or two. A team of 60 people will reach this mission as well as national and international benefactors. There are many volunteers in Manila and Calbayog", added Fr. Aris, including a first meeting with the head of the Italian Caritas Asia in Intramuros. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 25/11/2013)
- 2015-11-19 - Appeal for inclusive growth in the Asia-Pacific area
- 2015-10-21 - The damage of Typhoon Koppu: Dead, missing, harvests destroyed
- 2015-10-09 - Tentorio's murder is "a blood stain on justice"
- 2015-10-08 - A missionary: "The Italian Del Torchio kidnapped for money"
- 2015-09-30 - Thousands of children risk their lives in the gold mines
- 2015-09-30 - Priest stabbed to death in central Philippines
- 2015-09-26 - An incentive from Pope Francis to fight against human trafficking
- 2015-09-24 - The Church alongside the tribal victims of violence and persecution
- 2015-09-11 - From the crisis of Zamboanga, a hope for Muslim-Christian relations
- 2015-09-08 - Peace is possible in the southern Philippines, with faith