AMERICA/VENEZUELA - On the eve of the opening of CAM 4, the last phase of the continental missionary journey
Maracaibo (Agenzia Fides) - There are only a few hours at the opening of the Fourth American Missionary Congress (CAM 4) and IX Latin American Missionary Congress (COMLA 9), which will be held in Maracaibo (Venezuela), from November 26 to December 1. According to information Fides Agency received, of the more than 4,000 expected participants, delegations from Argentina, Ecuador, Dominican Republic, United States, Brazil, Bolivia, Canada, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Panama have already arrived. Welcomed by the volunteers, national representatives, they will be hosted by families who have opened the door of their house to accommodate them during the Congress.
Promoted by the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) in collaboration with the Archdiocese of Maracaibo and the Episcopal Conference of Venezuela, the continental event is the last of a long series of milestones that mark the missionary path of the Church in Latin America. The Latin American Missionary Congresses (COMLA ) were in fact born in 1977, with the National Missionary Congresses of Mexico, then expanded to the entire American continent (American Missionary Congress CAM), in this order: 1977 Comla 1, Torreon (Mexico); 1983 Comla 2, Tlaxcala (Mexico); 1987 Comla 3, Bogotá (Colombia ); 1991 Comla 4, Lima (Peru); 1995 Comla 5, Belo Horizonte (Brazil); 1999 CAM 1 - Comla 6, Paraná (Argentina); 2003 CAM 2 - Comla 7, Guatemala City (Guatemala); 2008 CAM 3 - Comla 8, Quito (Ecuador). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/11/2013)
- 2015-05-19 - Casa-Hogar "Padre Machado" in El Valle occupied with violence for a few hours
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm