ASIA/SYRIA - The village of Deir Atieh invaded by Islamists: Christians identified and detained
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - Militants of Islamist factions have invaded the town of Deir Atieh, north of Damascus, spreading terror, death and destruction. As Fides sources in the Greek Orthodox Church report, the attack took place on 22 November. The militants entered the municipal hospital and took hostage the sick. The museum of Deir Atieh that welcomed thousands of works and precious archaeological finds was devastated. Mosques and churches were hit and damaged. Numerous homes were looted and civilians captured and used as human shields.
The situation is particularly worrying for Christians. The population, about 25 thousand people, have begun to flee. The militiamen examine the identification documents of those who intend to leave the city and retain those who have Christian names. To be able to leave the village, a Greek Orthodox priest had to say he was married and present himself with a woman: he was allowed to go just because he had an Arab name and had no ancestry or Christian reference.
Fr. F.H., who in a note sent to Fides requested anonymity for security reasons, pleads the international community and the Holy See to mobilize in order to arrange for the release of the hostages and save the village of Deir Atieh. It is not clear, notes the source of Fides, what prompted the armed gangs to penetrate the village. Even hundreds of people from Qara, another Syrian village in the mountains of Qalamoun, 90 km from Damascus had found refuge. In recent weeks, Qara had been attacked by Islamist fighters from the city of Arzal. Among the refugees of Qara, who moved to Deir Atieh, there is also the Greek-Catholic priest Father George Luis and all his parishioners. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 25/11/2013)
- 2014-03-06 ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Hindo: Christians do not support the Kurdish autonomous entity
- 2014-03-04 ASIA/SYRIA - The Armenian Catholic Archbishop of Aleppo: During Lent prayers and fasting to ask for the gift of peace
- 2014-02-28 ASIA/SYRIA – Where to be a child is impossible
- 2014-02-28 ASIA/SYRIA - Attack on Assyrian Democratic Organization head offices
- 2014-02-18 ASIA/SYRIA - Muslim leader of the opposition: immediately release all the Christians kidnapped
- 2014-02-13 ASIA/SYRIA - Masses for the release of all the hostages
- 2014-01-28 ASIA/SYRIA - Masses and vigils for father Dall'Oglio six months after his abduction
- 2014-01-27 ASIA/SYRIA - Patriarchs Kirill and Yohanna X’s appeal at Geneva 2: only dialogue among Syrians can open glimmers of peace
- 2014-01-22 ASIA/SYRIA - The Kurds claim an autonomous government in north-east Syria. Three Christians among the 20 ministers
- 2014-01-22 ASIA/SYRIA - Geneva 2: The Jesuit Refugee Service calls for a negotiated settlement and more support to refugees