AFRICA/MALAWI - Corruption Scandal: "Speedy prosecutions to regain the trust of donors" asks the Church
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) – Do everything possible to clean up politics and administration in order to regain the confidence of international donors whose aid is needed to alleviate the suffering of the population. This is the meaning of the message delivered by Chris Chisoni, Secretary General of the Commission for "Justice and Peace" of the Episcopal Conference of Malawi, at a press conference at the end of the meeting of the Commissions "Justice and Peace" of 8 Catholic dioceses in the Country.
"The Church cannot just sit and watch some of the challenges Malawians are facing now hence the need for us to speak out with one voive over these issues". said Chisoni.
International donors (European Union, Great Britain, Norway and the African Development Bank) have stopped giving aid to Malawi following the discovery of serious fraud on the use of funds received. It is estimated that at least 185 millions dollars have been stolen from state coffers.
So far, fifty officials have been arrested, including the Minister of Justice, Ralph Kasambara.
In relation to the so-called "cash-gate" Chisoni said that "we want the arrest of all those involved, sparing no sacred cow".
Representatives of Justice and Peace finally ask donors to reconsider the suspension of aid that is having serious social consequences: food shortages in certain areas of the Country, with serious risks to people; drastic decrease of school attendance and risks for next year’s harvest. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/11/2013)
- 2015-07-14 - "We will continue to be poor without a moral transformation", says the Archbishop of Blantyre
- 2015-06-19 - The government spends $ 145 million for a military contract while 400 are needed for flood victims
- 2015-05-29 - A "scary" financial law that aggravates the already difficult conditions of the population
- 2015-05-22 - "Justice and Peace": "The state budget has to give priority to flood victims"
- 2015-05-22 - The Sun Village: center of assistance and support for children in need
- 2015-04-22 - Malawians fleeing xenophobic violence in South Africa: "We were chased like dogs"
- 2015-04-01 - The hope of Easter in the poorest Country in the world
- 2015-03-17 - The Church assists 230,000 flood victims
- 2015-02-25 - Towards a more "human" prison system
- 2015-01-30 - The story of a missionary: Malawi on its knees due to the damage caused by cyclones