AFRICA/MALAWI - Corruption Scandal: "Speedy prosecutions to regain the trust of donors" asks the Church
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) – Do everything possible to clean up politics and administration in order to regain the confidence of international donors whose aid is needed to alleviate the suffering of the population. This is the meaning of the message delivered by Chris Chisoni, Secretary General of the Commission for "Justice and Peace" of the Episcopal Conference of Malawi, at a press conference at the end of the meeting of the Commissions "Justice and Peace" of 8 Catholic dioceses in the Country.
"The Church cannot just sit and watch some of the challenges Malawians are facing now hence the need for us to speak out with one voive over these issues". said Chisoni.
International donors (European Union, Great Britain, Norway and the African Development Bank) have stopped giving aid to Malawi following the discovery of serious fraud on the use of funds received. It is estimated that at least 185 millions dollars have been stolen from state coffers.
So far, fifty officials have been arrested, including the Minister of Justice, Ralph Kasambara.
In relation to the so-called "cash-gate" Chisoni said that "we want the arrest of all those involved, sparing no sacred cow".
Representatives of Justice and Peace finally ask donors to reconsider the suspension of aid that is having serious social consequences: food shortages in certain areas of the Country, with serious risks to people; drastic decrease of school attendance and risks for next year’s harvest. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/11/2013)
- 2014-11-12 - "People are dying due to lack of medicine, external aid blocked because of Cashgate": alarm launched by the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2014-11-10 - "Without outside help the Country is collapsing", says a missionary
- 2014-09-23 - A "creative" finance act, while 640,000 people are at risk of hunger
- 2014-08-04 - The Bishops of Eastern Africa: "The threat to the family in our region is now more real than ever"
- 2014-07-16 - More than 250 Bishops from East Africa at the Assembly on new evangelization
- 2014-06-27 - Politics restarts a month after the election; "Transition towards normality is not easy", says a missionary
- 2014-05-31 - Malawi has a new President
- 2014-05-26 - Elections contested: the only thing certain are the irregularities and suspicions of fraud
- 2014-05-22 - Disorganization disturbs the conduct of the elections
- 2014-05-20 - "The most uncertain elections in the last 20 years, but democracy is a fact accepted by all", says a missionary