AFRICA/MALAWI - Corruption Scandal: "Speedy prosecutions to regain the trust of donors" asks the Church
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) – Do everything possible to clean up politics and administration in order to regain the confidence of international donors whose aid is needed to alleviate the suffering of the population. This is the meaning of the message delivered by Chris Chisoni, Secretary General of the Commission for "Justice and Peace" of the Episcopal Conference of Malawi, at a press conference at the end of the meeting of the Commissions "Justice and Peace" of 8 Catholic dioceses in the Country.
"The Church cannot just sit and watch some of the challenges Malawians are facing now hence the need for us to speak out with one voive over these issues". said Chisoni.
International donors (European Union, Great Britain, Norway and the African Development Bank) have stopped giving aid to Malawi following the discovery of serious fraud on the use of funds received. It is estimated that at least 185 millions dollars have been stolen from state coffers.
So far, fifty officials have been arrested, including the Minister of Justice, Ralph Kasambara.
In relation to the so-called "cash-gate" Chisoni said that "we want the arrest of all those involved, sparing no sacred cow".
Representatives of Justice and Peace finally ask donors to reconsider the suspension of aid that is having serious social consequences: food shortages in certain areas of the Country, with serious risks to people; drastic decrease of school attendance and risks for next year’s harvest. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/11/2013)
- 2015-01-26 - Cholera, hunger, diseases: new threats for thousands of flood victims in Malawi and Mozambique
- 2015-01-22 - "Mgr. Zuza was a person of great courage", says a missionary
- 2015-01-17 - Mgr. Mukasa Zuza dies in a car accident
- 2014-12-29 - "A sad and uncertain Christmas", says a missionary
- 2014-12-10 - Appeal of "Justice and Peace" to international donors: "Do not abandon us in time of need"
- 2014-12-06 - “Corruption scandal consequences ever more serious” missionary says
- 2014-12-03 - AFRICA/MALAWI – The dream of a nation free of the nightmare of AIDS
- 2014-11-12 - "People are dying due to lack of medicine, external aid blocked because of Cashgate": alarm launched by the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2014-11-10 - "Without outside help the Country is collapsing", says a missionary
- 2014-09-23 - A "creative" finance act, while 640,000 people are at risk of hunger