AFRICA/MALAWI - Corruption Scandal: "Speedy prosecutions to regain the trust of donors" asks the Church
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) – Do everything possible to clean up politics and administration in order to regain the confidence of international donors whose aid is needed to alleviate the suffering of the population. This is the meaning of the message delivered by Chris Chisoni, Secretary General of the Commission for "Justice and Peace" of the Episcopal Conference of Malawi, at a press conference at the end of the meeting of the Commissions "Justice and Peace" of 8 Catholic dioceses in the Country.
"The Church cannot just sit and watch some of the challenges Malawians are facing now hence the need for us to speak out with one voive over these issues". said Chisoni.
International donors (European Union, Great Britain, Norway and the African Development Bank) have stopped giving aid to Malawi following the discovery of serious fraud on the use of funds received. It is estimated that at least 185 millions dollars have been stolen from state coffers.
So far, fifty officials have been arrested, including the Minister of Justice, Ralph Kasambara.
In relation to the so-called "cash-gate" Chisoni said that "we want the arrest of all those involved, sparing no sacred cow".
Representatives of Justice and Peace finally ask donors to reconsider the suspension of aid that is having serious social consequences: food shortages in certain areas of the Country, with serious risks to people; drastic decrease of school attendance and risks for next year’s harvest. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/11/2013)
- 2014-02-06 AFRICA/MALAWI - Valentine's Day: occasion to raise funds for the 18th Plenary Assembly of AMECEA
- 2013-11-23 AFRICA/MALAWI - Corruption Scandal: "Speedy prosecutions to regain the trust of donors" asks the Church
- 2013-09-26 AFRICA/MALAWI - Conclusion of the 13th Plenary Assembly of the Biblical Centre for Africa and Madagascar
- 2013-08-13 AFRICA/MALAWI - AMECEA: Plenary Assembly 2014 in Lilongwe
- 2013-02-25 AFRICA/MALAWI - Rich 20% of population silent to plight of 80% poor
- 2013-01-30 AFRICA/MALAWI - Funding for AIDS drugs have halved while the Country must cope with flood damage
- 2013-01-16 AFRICA/MALAWI - There is lack of food, water and health care for the people affected by the floods
- 2012-12-03 AFRICA/MALAWI - New food crisis in Malawi, denounces a missionary
- 2012-09-26 AFRICA/MALAWI - The Plenary Assembly of Bishops has begun: Year of Faith and Africae Munus are the focus of the Assembly
- 2012-04-23 AFRICA/MALAWI - "The political turning point has taken place, now we are waiting for economic reforms," said Fr. Gamba