ASIA/JORDAN - Minister of Tourism to the Heads of Churches: promote pilgrimages to the Holy Places
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - A strong appeal to promote and concretely support pilgrimages to Places of Christian memory in Jordan was addressed on Thursday, November 21 by the Jordanian Minister for Labour and Tourism Nidal Katamine to the heads of local Christian Churches. The invitation was expressed during an ad hoc meeting convened in Amman, at the headquarters of the Greek Orthodox Archepachy. Religious tourism in Holy Land that lies beyond the river Jordan – said the Minister - is also affected by the lack of information conveyed by the media about plenty of sites mentioned in the Bible, especially in the stories about Jesus' life. Comparison has allowed us to focus on the specific issues related to an enhancement of desirable places in Jordan that have a particular significance for Christians around the world. The meeting was also attended by Archbishop Maroun Laham, Patriarchal Vicar for Jordan of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem of the Latins, and Father Rifat Bader, director of the Center for Catholic Studies and Media. According to Fr. Bader, Minister Katamine’s meeting with the heads of the Christian Churches may represent "the beginning of a serious coordination" and promote the creation of an operating table involving all stakeholders to promote religious tourism in Jordan. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 22/11/2013)
- 2014-04-14 - The director of Caritas: among the refugees, the number of Christians increases
- 2014-03-29 - ASIA/JORDAN – The parish of Zarqa is the first to acquire a "solar energy system"
- 2014-02-27 - Tension with Israel over Holy Places, Archbishop Lahham: enough defiant acts
- 2013-12-12 - The Syrian refugees in the grip of cold weather and snow
- 2013-11-22 - Minister of Tourism to the Heads of Churches: promote pilgrimages to the Holy Places
- 2013-11-09 - The Director of Caritas: the refugee camp in Zaatari will become a "provisional city"
- 2013-11-06 - The Jesuits: online courses for refugees
- 2013-11-04 - Don Orione Opera opens a Centre for Syrian refugees
- 2013-10-30 - The leaders of Catholic schools: with the "Arab springs" negative impact on freedom of education
- 2013-10-24 - Patriarch Twal opens the Conference on the role of women in the Middle East