AMERICA/CHILE - Solidarity of the Chilean Church to the victims of the typhoon that hit the Philippines
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - An invitation to the entire national community in order to show solidarity towards the Filipino people, who are suffering the serious consequences of Typhoon Haiyan, was addressed by the Episcopal Conference of Chile (CECh), which has launched a campaign of prayer and solidarity through the Caritas network.
The note sent to Fides Agency by the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) in Chile informs that the President of the CECh, the Archbishop of Santiago, His Exc. Mgr. Ricardo Ezzati, invited the community to intensify prayers for the Philippine population as a special intention for this month of Mary (which in Chile is celebrated from November 8 to December 8), asking for the support and protection of our Mother for the brothers and sisters in difficulty. On his behalf, the President of the Caritas Social Pastoral of CECh, Mgr. Pedro Ossandón, said that "the commitment of the Church of Chile with concrete gestures of fraternity towards the people of the Philippines is an effective way to contribute to the globalization of solidarity".
The CECh has launched a special collection of offerings that will take place in all the parishes of Chile on Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th December, and the proceeds will go to the families and communities of the Philippines through the network of Caritas Internationalis. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/11/2013)
- 2015-04-15 - Protection of life and communication in the Church's mission, priority in the Chilean Church
- 2015-04-14 - Floods force more than 40 000 children not to go to school
- 2015-03-30 - Floods and landslides: 12 dead and thousands displaced, Caritas at work
- 2015-02-23 - Rudimental bomb explodes near a parish in the capital
- 2015-01-29 - "We have lost a great opportunity": criticism regarding the Law on Education
- 2014-11-19 - Bishops support: "an educational reform for the good of the nation"
- 2014-10-20 - A hundred thousand on a pilgrimage for the family to the shrine of the first Chilean Saint
- 2014-10-03 - Apostolic Vicar of Aysen awarded: "Water is also a problem of sovereignty"
- 2014-06-26 - Wüñol Tripantu, the Mapuche celebration of the rebirth of life
- 2014-06-20 - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference