AMERICA/HONDURAS - "A story of injustice and inequality, it is time for a change": ready for Sunday's elections
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The Executive Secretary of Caritas Pastoral of the Catholic Church in Honduras, Father Germán Calix, said speaking to a news agency, that the last 32 years of democracy in the country have failed to improve the living conditions of the population, but only privileged a few, in fact, "the vast majority of the population continues to live in really bad conditions".
According to various local sources, 70 percent of Hondurans are poor. Honduras returned to democracy in 1980, after nearly two decades of military regime. With regards to the general elections on Sunday (see Fides 11/19/2013), which for the first time will see the participation of nine parties, Fr. Calix said that "the people and the political parties have a duty to make the election a space of legitimacy for the next government". "If the elections fail to obtain the degree of legitimacy that the people expect, then we will have an ungovernable country", said the Executive Secretary of Caritas.
Father Calix also reported that Caritas will make its contribution in human resources to the Consortium "Hagamos Democracy", the group of observers at the next election, which has a network of 1,200 volunteer observers and 18 coordinators. Their task is to monitor, collect and transmit information to the computer center of the Consortium. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/11/2013)
- 2014-10-23 - A new location of the detention center in San Pedro Sula for the sake of prisoners
- 2014-10-22 - The right to food for 700,000 people suffering hunger: it is not food that is lacking, but justice
- 2014-10-13 - "Caminando con amor": 5,000 pairs of shoes have been distributed for children at risk
- 2014-08-19 - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons
- 2014-07-23 - The Bishop of Choluteca: 5000 people are forced to put their lives at risk in mines every day
- 2014-07-02 - Campaign in schools in favor of children on the issue of responsibility
- 2014-06-23 - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
- 2014-06-13 - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
- 2014-05-15 - Violence against children who suffer abuse and harassment continues
- 2014-05-13 - Condemnation of the Church for the murder of children, violence does not stop in the country