AMERICA/HONDURAS - "A story of injustice and inequality, it is time for a change": ready for Sunday's elections
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The Executive Secretary of Caritas Pastoral of the Catholic Church in Honduras, Father Germán Calix, said speaking to a news agency, that the last 32 years of democracy in the country have failed to improve the living conditions of the population, but only privileged a few, in fact, "the vast majority of the population continues to live in really bad conditions".
According to various local sources, 70 percent of Hondurans are poor. Honduras returned to democracy in 1980, after nearly two decades of military regime. With regards to the general elections on Sunday (see Fides 11/19/2013), which for the first time will see the participation of nine parties, Fr. Calix said that "the people and the political parties have a duty to make the election a space of legitimacy for the next government". "If the elections fail to obtain the degree of legitimacy that the people expect, then we will have an ungovernable country", said the Executive Secretary of Caritas.
Father Calix also reported that Caritas will make its contribution in human resources to the Consortium "Hagamos Democracy", the group of observers at the next election, which has a network of 1,200 volunteer observers and 18 coordinators. Their task is to monitor, collect and transmit information to the computer center of the Consortium. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/11/2013)
- 2015-10-02 - Honduran Missionary receives an award for human rights
- 2015-09-23 - Mgr. Emiliani denounces the "violent reactions in the face of any situation"
- 2015-09-21 - "Honduras is sick of hate", warns Cardinal Rodriguez Maradiaga
- 2015-09-09 - Children resist famine thanks to school snacks
- 2015-07-17 - Sexual abuse on children have repercussions in adulthood
- 2015-07-15 - A new ward for children suffering from dengue and chikungunya
- 2015-07-15 - Campaign of the diocese of San Pedro Sula: "An honest man is not corrupt"
- 2015-07-06 - Still demonstrations against corruption, while other scandals come to light
- 2015-07-03 - The Bishops offer their support to dialogue for social peace
- 2015-06-27 - The Church: "politics without corruption"