ASIA/INDIA - Ecumenical and simultaneous prayer across India, for justice and reconciliation
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - A great ecumenical and simultaneous prayer, in over 6,000 Christian churches across India: the initiative is scheduled for November 30 by the Union. As reported in a note sent to Fides by the Church of Delhi, "the focus of the prayer is justice, national reconciliation, economic justice. We will pray for all people and communities in India, for stability, peace and prosperity of the nation". "We call on all Christians in the nation to join in this effort of prayer to bless the nation", explains to Fides His Exc. Mgr. Anil Couto, Archbishop of Delhi, president of the organizing committee of prayer.
"Our nation is going through a period of uncertainty, especially with regards to the difficulties related to the social, economic and religious conditions of the population. All this requires an explicit contribution of Christian churches, committed to building the nation", says Rev. Richard Howell, Protestant Pastor, in the Executive Committee of the "United Christian prayer for India" (UCPI), an ecumenical organization that takes care of the initiative.
In Delhi a big event is scheduled: thousands of church members in Delhi will pray for India. "We have invited the leaders of our nation: the President, the Prime Minister, the President of the Supreme Court of India, the leaders of the armed forces. It is an occasion of grace for them, too" says Rev. Howell.
The Indian Church wishes to reiterate that it is at the forefront in giving a contribution to the nation. India today finds itself in a critical phase of its history. "The political, economic crisis and social morality, calls everyone to work hard and persevere in prayer, so that the country can continue on the path of progress, peace and justice", says the note sent to Fides.
The idea of a national ecumenical prayer was founded in 2012 by a meeting between different Indian Christians leaders.
The initiative was immediately supported by the Christian leaders of different denominations belonging to 130 organizations, dioceses and parishes in many states like Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Kerala. (SD- PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/11/2013)
- 2015-09-03 - May the Day of the martyrs of Orissa be a "national event"
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops of Orissa establish "Martyrs Day"
- 2015-09-01 - Interreligious prayer on the Day of Creation
- 2015-08-31 - In Orissa the Day of Remembrance for the victims of anti-Christian massacres
- 2015-08-29 - The Franciscans in India: an hour of Adoration for the Day of Creation
- 2015-08-28 - India is polio-free: thanks to the collaboration between State and Church
- 2015-08-26 - Census on religions: Muslims increas, Christians stable
- 2015-08-25 - "No more violence": anniversary of anti-Christian massacres in Orissa
- 2015-08-24 - A Christian Forum urges the Government of Orissa to protect Christians
- 2015-08-21 - The Daughters of Mary Help of Christians open a new convent in the state of Orissa