ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Typhoon Hayian: humanitarian aid from the Community of St. Egidio to the victims not reached by the government
Cebu (Agenzia Fides) - The operation is of those who show how, in cases of major natural disasters, aid on behalf of NGOs may be complementary to the action of governments: the Community of St. Egidio has chosen two remote areas, still not reached by any official aid of civil authorities, to bring humanitarian aid to the victims of typhoon Hayian. In fact, a community delegation from Hong Kong, that joined members of St. Egidio permanently residing in the city of Cebu (central Philippines), arrived in the town of Saint Remy and the island of Bantayan, bringing three vans of food and drinking water. As reported to Fides by Fr. Paolo Cristiano, a priest of the community that follows the Asian realities, "we have delivered aid to the local parish priest of San Remigio. The people on the street were desperate and several times tried to stop the convoy. The devastation is impressive. "What is striking - he continues - "is the Filipino people's dignity and composure in dealing with this tragedy. The population is happy because every small gesture of solidarity shows that the world is not forgetting them". In San Remigio, out of 11,500 inhabitants, 90% are homeless. The church of San Juan Nepomuceno is destroyed.
The project is supported by the Community of St. Egidio present in different countries around the world. And it still continues to have, explians the priest, " the indispensable support of prayer. In Europe, Indonesia, Latin America, many Filipino emigrants attended the prayer vigils organized by us". "From Rome a container of aid with blankets, shawls for women, health aids and long shelf life foods was sent". Aid will continue with one goal: "To give a sign of stable solidarity, choosing a specific project in the reconstruction phase of facilities and infrastructures, which will start once the emergency finishes", he concludes. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/11/2013)
- 2015-03-28 - Humanitarian crisis in Mindanao; a law has been submitted in the Philippine congress on the Muslim region
- 2015-02-26 - Military offensive in Mindanao; the Bishop in Basilan: "For peace, sincerity is needed"
- 2015-02-24 - Bishops issue “Oratio imperata” for peace in Mindanao
- 2015-02-20 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – In the Year of the Poor, Lent is a favourable time for solidarity
- 2015-02-19 - Missionary says: “someone wants to destabilise Mindanao”
- 2015-02-18 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – Christian and Muslim religious leaders: “the peace process must not be abandoned”
- 2015-02-09 - No to "total war" in Mindanao, unity against "the ideology of violence"
- 2015-02-05 - Interfaith harmony, a journey towards peace in the world
- 2015-02-03 - Pope's letter to the Archbishop of Palo: "I will never forget Tacloban"
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishops: No to violence in Mindanao, support for the peace process