ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Typhoon Hayian: humanitarian aid from the Community of St. Egidio to the victims not reached by the government
Cebu (Agenzia Fides) - The operation is of those who show how, in cases of major natural disasters, aid on behalf of NGOs may be complementary to the action of governments: the Community of St. Egidio has chosen two remote areas, still not reached by any official aid of civil authorities, to bring humanitarian aid to the victims of typhoon Hayian. In fact, a community delegation from Hong Kong, that joined members of St. Egidio permanently residing in the city of Cebu (central Philippines), arrived in the town of Saint Remy and the island of Bantayan, bringing three vans of food and drinking water. As reported to Fides by Fr. Paolo Cristiano, a priest of the community that follows the Asian realities, "we have delivered aid to the local parish priest of San Remigio. The people on the street were desperate and several times tried to stop the convoy. The devastation is impressive. "What is striking - he continues - "is the Filipino people's dignity and composure in dealing with this tragedy. The population is happy because every small gesture of solidarity shows that the world is not forgetting them". In San Remigio, out of 11,500 inhabitants, 90% are homeless. The church of San Juan Nepomuceno is destroyed.
The project is supported by the Community of St. Egidio present in different countries around the world. And it still continues to have, explians the priest, " the indispensable support of prayer. In Europe, Indonesia, Latin America, many Filipino emigrants attended the prayer vigils organized by us". "From Rome a container of aid with blankets, shawls for women, health aids and long shelf life foods was sent". Aid will continue with one goal: "To give a sign of stable solidarity, choosing a specific project in the reconstruction phase of facilities and infrastructures, which will start once the emergency finishes", he concludes. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/11/2013)
- 2014-12-10 - "Yolanda" survivors now helping "Hagupit" victims
- 2014-12-01 - Compassion but also "no" to corruption: the Church celebrates the Year of the poor
- 2014-11-29 - The Silsilah movement: Advent of solidarity and friendship with Muslims
- 2014-11-27 - Justice for the massacre in Maguindanao: the relatives of the victims write to the Pope
- 2014-11-21 - 30 years since its foundation, the commitment of "Silsilah" movement for dialogue reinforces
- 2014-11-15 - Cardinal Tagle: "The Pope's visit, a blessing that invokes responsibility"
- 2014-11-11 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – To cancel foreign debt in order to contribute to the reconstruction after Typhoon Haiyan
- 2014-10-30 - The Silsilah dialogue movement: "Fight soldiers with prayer"
- 2014-10-28 - The Bishops: "Even a life sentence is inhuman"
- 2014-10-17 - The murder of the missionary Fr. Fausto Tentorio remains unsolved