AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - The Bishops: "heal the wounds caused by the political crisis"
Antananarivo (Agenzia Fides) - "The population is divided into two categories: the rich and the poor who sink into extreme poverty. Insecurity grows and people are no longer protected, the rule of law protects the strongest", say the Bishops of Madagascar in the message released at the end of Year of Faith and on the 75th anniversary of the Catholic Bible in Malagasy.
Disparity between rich and poor, says the message sent to Fides Agency, was highlighted during the election campaign for the presidential election (see Fides 26/10/2013). "Because of the power of money, vote-buying was carried out on a large scale during the election campaign. In the face of all this, more than one person pointed out that the money is there but is not used for the good of the people", the Bishops said, who urge politicians to operate for the good of the nation and not "to sell off the Nation" to foreign interests.
Madagascar is trying to get out of a serious political crisis which broke out after the resignation of President Marc Ravalomanana in 2009. On October 25 the first round of presidential elections was held which saw the participation of 61.85% of the voters. The second round will be held on December 20 between Robinson Jean Louis (supported by Ravalomanana) and Hery Rajaonarimampianina (supported by the President of the Transition Andry Rajoelina) .
The political crisis has had serious social and economic consequences on the population, which is why the Bishops state that the "priority of priorities" of the ruling class that will come out from the election will be to "heal the wounds caused by several of the many successive crises". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/11/2013)
- 2015-05-28 - The President denies the motion for dismissal, the Bishops denounce "the culture of corruption"
- 2015-05-27 - "We are going back to chaos," says a missionary after the vote to remove the President
- 2015-04-29 - Half the population has no access to drinking water, 4,000 children die every year
- 2014-11-26 - Nearly two million children have dropped out of school to work
- 2014-07-10 - Catholic priest taken hostage by bandits has been released
- 2014-01-17 - Hery Rajaonarimampianina is the new Head of State
- 2013-12-21 - 5 million people exposed to plague
- 2013-11-21 - The Bishops: "heal the wounds caused by the political crisis"
- 2013-10-10 - In the wake of the cyclone Haruna
- 2013-10-07 - Eight children have disappeared from Nosy Be