AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life" campaign against human trafficking in view of the World Cup
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - About 150 religious from Brazil, together with representatives from Germany, Colombia, Bolivia and Uruguay, have launched the campaign "Play for Life" in Brasilia (DF), to raise awareness in society about the problem of human trafficking with regards to major events such as the upcoming World Cup. The campaign is being organized by "A cry for life" network, made up of men and women religious who work in Brazil at a national level, for the prevention of human trafficking.
During the presentation of the campaign, as the note sent to Fides Agency by the PMS in Brazil reports, members of the central coordination explained the meaning of the logo chosen: the hands are the symbol of strength and life, the ball makes the link with sports explicit, especially football, a national passion; the verb "play" in the imperative manner ("play") is intended to stimulate action and reaction, and the other verb "denounce", which is associated with the verb play, invites one to commit an act of love and justice.
The general coordinator of the campaign, Sister Eurides de Oliveira, explained that it is a campaign of prevention and information. The printed material with some imformation on the concept of trafficking and how to prevent it, will be distributed in the main streets of the capital, on buses, in airports, the hotels of the cities that will host the World Cup, from 18 May 2014 until the end of the event.
In addition to the campaign, the first book of the Net was also presented. We are talking about a subsidy of formation on human trafficking. "It is a collection of texts - said Sister Eurides - written with the collaboration of various authors, members of the Network for a sociological, ecclesiology approach, and a collection of texts, prayers and teaching suggestions for the formation and preparation of operators". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/11/2013)
- 2015-01-12 - Recalling the earthquake in Haiti with the testimony of Zilda Arns
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues
- 2014-11-24 - There are now 500 thousand signatures which have been collected for the Democratic Political Reform
- 2014-11-20 - Support of the Church with regards to the formation of political consciousness for democratic reform
- 2014-10-27 - Beatification of the co-founder of the Scalabrinians: "May the whole Church be missionary of truth, mother Assunta did it"
- 2014-10-27 - Dilma Rousseff re-elected President with a narrow margin: she will have to face recession, corruption and discontent
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate