AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Vote to have transparent and honest politicians"; 51% of voters are women
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) – With regards to the general election in Honduras, scheduled for Sunday, November 24, the Catholic Church, through its Pastors have reiterated that the country needs "public servants who are faithful, transparent and honest" and urged the community to live a day of civil and democratic commitment through voting.
The note sent to Fides Agency reports that last Sunday, in the Cathedral of Tegucigalpa, the Vicar of the Cathedral, Father Carlos Rubio, said in his homily: "People do not want lazy politicians. Who does not govern with justice and righteousness, must give up immediately. "It is a service to the community, said the priest, who insisted that "the country's future is in the hands of God and of the voting population".
The priest asked the Hondurans not to be fooled by demagogues: "We must not allow lies to win in Honduras, not even liars, demagogues who have ruined politics, or the corrupt", he concluded .
There are 8 candidates in the presidential elections in Honduras, and the people who are over 18 years of age will have to vote to choose 128 Members of Congress and Representatives of municipalities. According to local sources, 5,355,112 Hondurans are entitled to vote. 755.112 of these are new voters and 1.2 million are young people between 18 and 25 years of age. The exciting news is that for the first time, women make up 51 percent of the electorate. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/11/2013)
- 2015-05-21 - "With courage and more faith": Danilo Aceituno lived at the service of God and of the Church
- 2015-03-25 - Minors exploited and underpaid
- 2015-03-03 - There are 6000 teachers: one million children do not go to school
- 2015-02-03 - Card. Maradiaga supports the "Plan de la Alianza para la Prosperidad"
- 2015-01-15 - Over 3000 child beggars on the streets of big cities
- 2014-12-29 - Violence continues to affect mainly children and adolescents
- 2014-11-27 - Violence against women decreases, but there is still an impressive number of cases
- 2014-10-23 - A new location of the detention center in San Pedro Sula for the sake of prisoners
- 2014-10-22 - The right to food for 700,000 people suffering hunger: it is not food that is lacking, but justice
- 2014-10-13 - "Caminando con amor": 5,000 pairs of shoes have been distributed for children at risk