AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Vote to have transparent and honest politicians"; 51% of voters are women
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) – With regards to the general election in Honduras, scheduled for Sunday, November 24, the Catholic Church, through its Pastors have reiterated that the country needs "public servants who are faithful, transparent and honest" and urged the community to live a day of civil and democratic commitment through voting.
The note sent to Fides Agency reports that last Sunday, in the Cathedral of Tegucigalpa, the Vicar of the Cathedral, Father Carlos Rubio, said in his homily: "People do not want lazy politicians. Who does not govern with justice and righteousness, must give up immediately. "It is a service to the community, said the priest, who insisted that "the country's future is in the hands of God and of the voting population".
The priest asked the Hondurans not to be fooled by demagogues: "We must not allow lies to win in Honduras, not even liars, demagogues who have ruined politics, or the corrupt", he concluded .
There are 8 candidates in the presidential elections in Honduras, and the people who are over 18 years of age will have to vote to choose 128 Members of Congress and Representatives of municipalities. According to local sources, 5,355,112 Hondurans are entitled to vote. 755.112 of these are new voters and 1.2 million are young people between 18 and 25 years of age. The exciting news is that for the first time, women make up 51 percent of the electorate. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/11/2013)
- 2014-08-19 - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons
- 2014-07-23 - The Bishop of Choluteca: 5000 people are forced to put their lives at risk in mines every day
- 2014-07-02 - Campaign in schools in favor of children on the issue of responsibility
- 2014-06-23 - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
- 2014-06-13 - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
- 2014-05-15 - Violence against children who suffer abuse and harassment continues
- 2014-05-13 - Condemnation of the Church for the murder of children, violence does not stop in the country
- 2014-04-30 - Femicide continues to spread: nearly 4000 women were killed between 2002 and 2013
- 2014-04-16 - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
- 2014-03-11 - Criminal gangs train children to handle firearms