ASIA/LEBANON - Suicide bombing in Beirut. Father Karam: sectarian violence is plaguing the Middle East
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - More than 20 people were killed in the suicide bombing this morning in the south of Beirut, not far from the Iranian Embassy. The dead - refer Lebanese agencies - are 23 and nearly 150 wounded.
According to preliminary reports provided by Lebanese security sources, a suicide bomber on a motorcycle carried out a first attack, immediately followed by a car bomb.
The Iranian Embassy in Beirut, in a statement, denied it was the target of the attack. But among the victims there is also the cultural attaché of the embassy, Ibrahim Arsari. In the same area, a stronghold of the Shiite Hezbollah movement, Sunni jihadists had already carried out in recent months attacks against Shia targets. While the Hezbollah militias continue to operate in Syria in support of the military government in military operations against rebel forces.
"Unfortunately", says to Fides Fr. Paul Karam, Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in Lebanon – today’s bombing is not an isolated incident. Sectarian violence serves a purpose, and wants to set fire in order to destabilize the entire Middle East. For their delirious plots they do not have any qualms about killing children who go to school, or adults who go to work or return home. As Christians we share the pain of our people, and we keep saying that in no way similar acts of terror can seek justification with religious reasons". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 19/11/2013)
- 2015-07-06 - The Maronite Patriarch: the storm will pass, and Christians will remain in the Middle East
- 2015-06-25 - Armenian Catholic Patriarch Nerses Bedros XIX dies in Lebanon
- 2015-06-17 - Prayers to the Virgin of Fatima to invoke the election of a new President
- 2015-06-16 - Maronite and Greek-Melkite Synods have begun. Patriarch Grégoire: 60% of the Lebanese think of emigrating
- 2015-06-10 - The Lebanese pray for the unity of the Country in front of the statue of Our Lady of Fatima
- 2015-05-19 - Christian politicians confront each other over "Aoun’s proposal" in order to exit the crisis
- 2015-05-12 - Parties of the two blocs signed a document of "national partnership" proposed by the Maronite League
- 2015-05-11 - Maronite Patriarch: politics and diplomacy is needed for peace in the Middle East, not military intervention
- 2015-05-07 - The Maronite Bishops ask for the feast of the "Lebanese Martyrs" to be restored
- 2015-04-13 - The Armenian Catholic Patriarch Nerses Bedros XIX: the Pope's words on the Genocide express the conscience of mankind, they are not "against" anyone