ASIA/LEBANON - Suicide bombing in Beirut. Father Karam: sectarian violence is plaguing the Middle East
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - More than 20 people were killed in the suicide bombing this morning in the south of Beirut, not far from the Iranian Embassy. The dead - refer Lebanese agencies - are 23 and nearly 150 wounded.
According to preliminary reports provided by Lebanese security sources, a suicide bomber on a motorcycle carried out a first attack, immediately followed by a car bomb.
The Iranian Embassy in Beirut, in a statement, denied it was the target of the attack. But among the victims there is also the cultural attaché of the embassy, Ibrahim Arsari. In the same area, a stronghold of the Shiite Hezbollah movement, Sunni jihadists had already carried out in recent months attacks against Shia targets. While the Hezbollah militias continue to operate in Syria in support of the military government in military operations against rebel forces.
"Unfortunately", says to Fides Fr. Paul Karam, Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in Lebanon – today’s bombing is not an isolated incident. Sectarian violence serves a purpose, and wants to set fire in order to destabilize the entire Middle East. For their delirious plots they do not have any qualms about killing children who go to school, or adults who go to work or return home. As Christians we share the pain of our people, and we keep saying that in no way similar acts of terror can seek justification with religious reasons". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 19/11/2013)
- 2015-11-13 - The President of Caritas Lebanon after the bombing in Beirut: our country is at risk
- 2015-11-06 - The Maronite Bishops: no to the division of Syria
- 2015-10-27 - Metropolitan Georges Khodr: who said Lebanon’s president must be Maronite?
- 2015-10-22 - ASIA/LEBANON – Leading members of Maronite Foundation stress necessity of recovery of nationality law for expatriate Lebanese
- 2015-10-21 - The Maronite diocese of Zahlé supports the breast cancer awareness campaign
- 2015-09-10 - Lebanese crisis, a delegation of Hezbollah meets with Maronite Patriarch
- 2015-09-01 - The Heads of Churches: the protests risk being "infiltrated"
- 2015-08-31 - Islamic-Christian summit postponed, while protests against politicians continue
- 2015-08-29 - A Muslim-Christian summit on the agenda to overcome the institutional crisis
- 2015-08-25 - Syriac Catholic Bishop Flavianus Michael Melki, martyr of the "Assyrian Genocide" will be beatified next Saturday