ASIA/LEBANON - Suicide bombing in Beirut. Father Karam: sectarian violence is plaguing the Middle East
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - More than 20 people were killed in the suicide bombing this morning in the south of Beirut, not far from the Iranian Embassy. The dead - refer Lebanese agencies - are 23 and nearly 150 wounded.
According to preliminary reports provided by Lebanese security sources, a suicide bomber on a motorcycle carried out a first attack, immediately followed by a car bomb.
The Iranian Embassy in Beirut, in a statement, denied it was the target of the attack. But among the victims there is also the cultural attaché of the embassy, Ibrahim Arsari. In the same area, a stronghold of the Shiite Hezbollah movement, Sunni jihadists had already carried out in recent months attacks against Shia targets. While the Hezbollah militias continue to operate in Syria in support of the military government in military operations against rebel forces.
"Unfortunately", says to Fides Fr. Paul Karam, Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in Lebanon – today’s bombing is not an isolated incident. Sectarian violence serves a purpose, and wants to set fire in order to destabilize the entire Middle East. For their delirious plots they do not have any qualms about killing children who go to school, or adults who go to work or return home. As Christians we share the pain of our people, and we keep saying that in no way similar acts of terror can seek justification with religious reasons". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 19/11/2013)
- 2015-03-31 - Religious Lebanese leaders denounce a plan of sectarian fragmentation of the Middle East
- 2015-03-26 - Christians and Muslims celebrate together the feast of the Annunciation
- 2015-03-17 - The Maronite Church calls for a law to ensure emigrants the recovery of Lebanese nationality
- 2015-03-06 - The Maronite Church promotes the donation of organs
- 2015-03-05 - Meeting between representatives of Hezbollah and the Maronite Church on the election of the President
- 2015-03-03 - Former General Aoun: let us welcome Christians fleeing Syria
- 2015-02-23 - Syrian-Catholic Patriarch opens centenary commemoration of the Assyrian genocide
- 2015-02-20 - ASIA/LEBANON – Maronite Patriarch says: the return of Hariri is a positive fact for the Lebanese nation
- 2015-02-10 - Maronite Archbishop Matar: Lebanon must adopt a strategy to distance itself from regional conflicts
- 2015-01-28 - The Patriarchs of Antioch: in order to stop the conflict, arms trafficking must be stopped