OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Bishop Rolando Santos: "The light of faith to enlighten the lives of families"
Alotau (Agenzia Fides) - In view of the conclusion of the Year of Faith, November 24, the feast of Christ the King, "the Door of Faith does not close, but remains open to bring light on humanity, bringing a promise of hope, peace, love and joy to everyone", says the Bishop of Alotau- Sideia, Mgr. Rolando Santos, in a statement sent to Fides Agency. The Bishop said he was "deeply moved" during his pastoral visits, "because of the people's desire to deepen and live faith in their lives" and "the desire to share it with others". That faith can "defeat the darkness that covers many men of our time", he continues, referring to "the situations of many families, couples, young people and children". "In families, in our communities and in our cities – he remarks – one, in fact, lives the distressing problem of domestic and sexual violence against women and children: this means that the light of faith is completely obscured in houses, which are instead called to be a sanctuary".
The Bishop cites cases of "incest and rape, which disturb the peace, harmony and joy of many families and communities". The news of child trafficking and abandoned children in the garbage question all Christian families. According to some civil society observers, there is not enough pressure on the government and institutions to deal with these phenomena with force. And even the Churches are sometimes focused on their rites: "It would be useful therefore – notes Mgr. Santos – to organize courses and seminars for young people on sexuality, the sacrament of marriage and the family, to ensure that the light of faith enlightens families and spreads, through the latter, in society".
The Bishop recalls the gift of three new priests for the diocese of Alotau, ordained in the Year of Faith, noting with hope that they are a gift to the community. Mgr. Rolando Santos encouraged Fr. Aloysius Seduheya, Fr. Nicholas O'omu and Fr. John Kubali to "live and work as Christ", helping families and the entire Church. (PA) (Agenzia Fide 18/11/2013)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2015-01-19 - Bishops' Pastoral Plan: "Go and tell everyone"
- 2015-01-15 - Twenty years with Blessed Peter ToRot, an example for every Christian
- 2014-12-18 - The Bishop of Alotau’s appeal for the population
- 2014-10-03 - The President of Bishops: "Family in Melanesia is an intense network of relationships"
- 2014-07-01 - Political crisis: Bishops’ appeal for the common good
- 2014-06-30 - The Archbishop of Madang: "Church and State united against domestic violence"
- 2014-05-22 - Open Letter of the Bishops to politicians: "Let us protect life together for the common good"
- 2014-05-13 - A priest and a lay extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist have been killed
- 2014-04-24 - Pilgrimage on foot for the 80th anniversary of evangelization in the highlands of Papua
- 2014-03-01 - Bishops: urgent “truly humane” response to question of refugees