AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Foundation stone laid at the Catholic University of South Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "Laying the foundation stone of the Catholic University of South Sudan means inscribing in the stone the strong hope for the future of the institution and a vision of South Sudan", said Mgr. Eduardo Hiiboro Kussala, Bishop of Tambura -Yambio and President of the Education Commission of the Sudanese Bishops' Conference, during the ceremony of laying the first stone of the Catholic University of South Sudan, which will be built in Juba.
Mgr. Kussala pointed out that the new institute will contribute to the academic development of the Country, while Mgr. Paolino Lukudu Loro, Archbishop of Juba, who placed the stone, said that for the Catholic Church education is a part of his vocation to evangelization and human promotion.
The Deputy Minister of Education, Bol Makueng, thanked the Church for having opened the first schools in South Sudan, which have been the foundation for the liberation of the Country, and promised government assistance to the University.
South Sudan became independent in July, 2011 and is facing serious problems, among which there are shortages of infrastructure and educational institutions. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/11/2013)
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda
- 2014-09-19 - South Sudan's Bakhita Radio can resume broadcasts, but without political issues