AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Foundation stone laid at the Catholic University of South Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "Laying the foundation stone of the Catholic University of South Sudan means inscribing in the stone the strong hope for the future of the institution and a vision of South Sudan", said Mgr. Eduardo Hiiboro Kussala, Bishop of Tambura -Yambio and President of the Education Commission of the Sudanese Bishops' Conference, during the ceremony of laying the first stone of the Catholic University of South Sudan, which will be built in Juba.
Mgr. Kussala pointed out that the new institute will contribute to the academic development of the Country, while Mgr. Paolino Lukudu Loro, Archbishop of Juba, who placed the stone, said that for the Catholic Church education is a part of his vocation to evangelization and human promotion.
The Deputy Minister of Education, Bol Makueng, thanked the Church for having opened the first schools in South Sudan, which have been the foundation for the liberation of the Country, and promised government assistance to the University.
South Sudan became independent in July, 2011 and is facing serious problems, among which there are shortages of infrastructure and educational institutions. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/11/2013)
- 2014-08-20 - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
- 2014-08-19 - The Bishops' Conference define the closure of Radio Bakhita "unfortunate"
- 2014-08-18 - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
- 2014-08-05 - Commitment of the Church and of all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria to raise awareness against the cholera epidemic that is rampant in the Country
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia