AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Foundation stone laid at the Catholic University of South Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "Laying the foundation stone of the Catholic University of South Sudan means inscribing in the stone the strong hope for the future of the institution and a vision of South Sudan", said Mgr. Eduardo Hiiboro Kussala, Bishop of Tambura -Yambio and President of the Education Commission of the Sudanese Bishops' Conference, during the ceremony of laying the first stone of the Catholic University of South Sudan, which will be built in Juba.
Mgr. Kussala pointed out that the new institute will contribute to the academic development of the Country, while Mgr. Paolino Lukudu Loro, Archbishop of Juba, who placed the stone, said that for the Catholic Church education is a part of his vocation to evangelization and human promotion.
The Deputy Minister of Education, Bol Makueng, thanked the Church for having opened the first schools in South Sudan, which have been the foundation for the liberation of the Country, and promised government assistance to the University.
South Sudan became independent in July, 2011 and is facing serious problems, among which there are shortages of infrastructure and educational institutions. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/11/2013)
- 2015-02-26 - A simple ambulance service can save the lives of hundreds of mothers and children
- 2015-02-19 - Elections postponed: a contribution towards peace
- 2015-02-10 - The UN: over 2.5 million people face food emergency because of the civil war
- 2015-02-04 - Year of Consecrated Life: Religious committed to healing the wounds of the Civil War
- 2015-01-30 - The Bishops denounce: "Land grabbing threatens the stability of the Country"
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"