AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Foundation stone laid at the Catholic University of South Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "Laying the foundation stone of the Catholic University of South Sudan means inscribing in the stone the strong hope for the future of the institution and a vision of South Sudan", said Mgr. Eduardo Hiiboro Kussala, Bishop of Tambura -Yambio and President of the Education Commission of the Sudanese Bishops' Conference, during the ceremony of laying the first stone of the Catholic University of South Sudan, which will be built in Juba.
Mgr. Kussala pointed out that the new institute will contribute to the academic development of the Country, while Mgr. Paolino Lukudu Loro, Archbishop of Juba, who placed the stone, said that for the Catholic Church education is a part of his vocation to evangelization and human promotion.
The Deputy Minister of Education, Bol Makueng, thanked the Church for having opened the first schools in South Sudan, which have been the foundation for the liberation of the Country, and promised government assistance to the University.
South Sudan became independent in July, 2011 and is facing serious problems, among which there are shortages of infrastructure and educational institutions. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/11/2013)
- 2015-11-09 - Violence, food insecurity, malnutrition: the population is exhausted
- 2015-11-04 - "South Sudan is not prepared to deal with terrorist infiltration"
- 2015-11-03 - Appeals from religious leaders regarding the fate of 80,000 displaced people in the woods
- 2015-11-03 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – The civil war continues to penalize the population: now the aim is survival
- 2015-10-20 - Apostolic Administrator of Torit: "It is more important to implement the peace agreement than create new States"
- 2015-10-08 - Perplexity about the creation of 28 new States
- 2015-10-02 - Malaria: 4,000 cases a week and the death of three children a day
- 2015-09-22 - Women, widows and orphans who live in absolute precariousness continues to increase
- 2015-09-15 - A Comboni Congolese missionary wounded in a road ambush
- 2015-09-03 - The Archbishop of Juba will inform Pope Francis on the situation in his country