AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Foundation stone laid at the Catholic University of South Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "Laying the foundation stone of the Catholic University of South Sudan means inscribing in the stone the strong hope for the future of the institution and a vision of South Sudan", said Mgr. Eduardo Hiiboro Kussala, Bishop of Tambura -Yambio and President of the Education Commission of the Sudanese Bishops' Conference, during the ceremony of laying the first stone of the Catholic University of South Sudan, which will be built in Juba.
Mgr. Kussala pointed out that the new institute will contribute to the academic development of the Country, while Mgr. Paolino Lukudu Loro, Archbishop of Juba, who placed the stone, said that for the Catholic Church education is a part of his vocation to evangelization and human promotion.
The Deputy Minister of Education, Bol Makueng, thanked the Church for having opened the first schools in South Sudan, which have been the foundation for the liberation of the Country, and promised government assistance to the University.
South Sudan became independent in July, 2011 and is facing serious problems, among which there are shortages of infrastructure and educational institutions. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/11/2013)
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – School instruction during emergency situations a basic humanitarian necessity
- 2015-07-17 - "We must start again from scratch", says the Bishop Emeritus of Juba
- 2015-07-10 - New peace initiative announced by the Church on the anniversary of independence
- 2015-07-09 - Violence and insecurity in the camps where refugees fleeing the civil war are welcomed
- 2015-06-25 - Cholera and rains aggravate the humanitarian situation, thousands of refugees fleeing the war: the testimony of a missionary
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal from Torit: the few NGOs that have remained in South Sudan must not leave over 4 million displaced alone
- 2015-06-10 - New appeal of Christian leaders to stop the "senseless war"
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders